Fifth Annual Patients’ Choice Award Recognizes Outstanding Healthcare Providers, Based on Patient Feedback
NEW YORK – March 14, 2013– Vitals, the creators of the first consumer marketplace for healthcare information, today announced their fifth annual Patients’ Choice Award winners. The Award is derived from real patient ratings on Vitals.com. Doctors whose aggregate rating is 3.5 stars (out of 4) or above are presented with a Patients’ Choice Award. Over 50,000 doctors made this year’s list, comprising the top five percent of doctors in the country.
To celebrate the Patients’ Choice Award’s fifth anniversary, Vitals added a separate award category for those doctors who have maintained a Patients’ Choice-worthy rating for all five years. Over 11,000 doctors made that list, comprising the top one percent of doctors in the US.
“Due to regulatory changes in the coming year, patients will have to be more active in their healthcare decisions than ever before,” said Mitch Rothschild, CEO of Vitals. “Vitals is proud to offer ratings and data to help consumers navigate this new responsibility confidently. We are even prouder to acknowledge the doctors that make an impact in their community.”
Vitals’ yearly analysis of patient-provided ratings revealed the following findings:
- The states with the largest population of Patients’ Choice doctors are:
- California (6,870)
- New York (5,139)
- Florida (4,370)
- Texas (4,242)
- Illinois (2,306)
- Award winning doctors averaged 17 years of experience.
- The most commonly attended medical school among award winners is Indiana University, with one out of every 16 Patients’ Choice doctors attending. The remaining top five medical schools, in rank order, are:
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- Wayne State University
- State University of New York Downstate
- Drexel University
- Family Medicine is the most commonly awarded specialty, with nearly 8,000 practitioners on the list. The remaining top five specialties, in rank order, are:
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- An average of 13 patients have reviewed each doctor on the list – well above the national average of 2.4 patient-ratings per doctor found on physician-review sites. Review commentary on Vitals.com covers topics like bedside manner, promptness, and even follow-up care for a doctor’s practice or hospital.
”As a medical professional, it’s my priority to listen to my patients and understand their needs,” said Dr. Parminder Sethi, a Patients’ Choice Doctor for five consecutive years. “I’m honored to receive the ‘5th Anniversary Patients’ Choice Award’ as an affirmation that we are building meaningful connections and awareness.”
About the Vitals Patients’ Choice Award
Now in its fifth consecutive year, Vitals’ Patients’ Choice Award is presented to every doctor in the US that maintains a 3.5 or higher aggregate rating for an entire calendar year. Visitors to Vitals.com use the same four-star rating system to make informed, confident choices about their healthcare every day. Patients’ Choice is just one award in a suite of annual honors for the medical community bestowed by Vitals’ users, including Compassionate Doctor and specialty-specific Top 10 Doctor awards.
Vitals is the first healthcare information marketplace built with patients in mind. We’ve created a suite of transparency tools that inform and empower consumers whenever and wherever they face a healthcare choice. Vitals.com is used by more than 13 million consumers each month, and powers member portals for some of the most trusted companies in healthcare.