Neurological Surgeons

2716 Ocean Park Blvd
Ste 3082
Santa Monica, CA 90405
310-314-6410
Locations and availability (1)

2.0

• Currently 2.7096774193548 of 4 stars
  • Currently 1.7096774193548 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Feb 14th, 2014

I called to ask Dr. filler one question to see if i should even consider paying for a phone conciliation. They would not answer the question and told me it would cost between 100.00 and 175.00 to talk to the physicians assistant. I told them if i was paying for an cancellation i wanted to talk to Dr. Filler and they said that that would cost more. I told them that I already had 2 surgeries and I was on disability and lived pay check to pay check . I was told by the office person "tell me about ..I know" . I told her that I was not like her and could not work nor could I work a second job if I needed extra money. I was speechless. I also think if a Dr is saying he has a 90% success rate that he need to count every patient not just a select few.

|  Being smart isn't enough  |  show details
Nov 8th, 2013

Boy, do I wish this website existed 7 years ago before I saw him! I'll just say that there is no explaining away dozens of negative reviews. After paying $2000 for an injection I thought only he could do, I did more research…next one cost around $200. One of the most galling things is that his staff makes constant scheduling errors and would not admit it. I'm kind of pleased that the last time they blew it they saved me $10,000 for probably unnecessary surgery: I waited weeks for their scheduler to call me, and finally changed my mind about the surgery. She never did call. Folks, making patients wait 2-3 hours is not a sign that a doctor is in high demand, it is a sign that he is arrogant and disorganized.

by Lisa on Aug 13th, 2013

All too often we only take time to write comments when we are dissatisfied with a service, rarely is the time taken to note the contrary. We have been dealing with my daughter's medical situation for almost (4) years now and up until a visit with Dr. Filler's, no progress had been made. It was a very frustrating situation and left me as a mother, feeling helpless to assist my own child. While seeing another specialist, Dr. Jennifer Berman, a urologist in Beverly Hills, it was recommended we take the time to see Dr. Aaron Filler, who came very highly recommended. We were told if we didn't see Dr. Filler and chose another neurologist we more than likely would not get a diagnosis, as she had a pretty good idea what it might be, and she was right.......we had seen pediatric neurologists prior. I am writing this email because Dr. Filler has been to say the least, been a "remarkable doctor". My daughter has seen numerous doctors (6) to be specific and not one, up until that point had been able to even give us a diagnosis. It turns out my child had "Pudendal Nerve Entrapment" a nerve which runs throughout the pelvic floor and was being entrapped by her Piriformis muscle, which was inflamed. Pudendal Nerve Entrapment is apparently very uncommon....not one doctor prior even mentioned that as a possibility. Dr. Filler works hand in hand with with The Institute of Nerve Medicine", I believe that is another business of his, they took an MRI and with that Dr. Filler was able to diagnose my daughter's situation; I mention this because the MRI that was taken previously at another hospital could not identify the Pudendal Nerve, this is common with most MRI's taken in that area. The Institute of Nerve Medicine has radiologist technicians that are trained to maneuver an MRI and grasp visibility on that nerve. Dr. Aaron Filler has gone above and beyond to ensure my daughter received the best care possible, he has taken time out of his busy schedule to answer questions via email, usually these emails are answered after normal working hours so I know he has stayed late to assist us. He has not only assured me that there was future hope to alleviate my daughter's situation but he cured it, as a mother that means the more than I can put into words. He is a consummate professional and has a tireless work ethic which is quite evident by the notable changes in my daughter's health. He clearly needs to be recognized and for his hard work.

|  Dr. Filler  |  show details
by Angel with a purpose on Apr 18th, 2013

Dr. Filler is without a doubt.....the most exceptional Neurosurgeon. He is a very rare and special gift!!! Every staff member.....is equally as kind and compassionate.....as Dr. Filler. In fact, they still follow up with me, in terms of my condition after several years....strictly out of compassion. I experienced no billing issues......in fact, they did everything possible to submit my procedure to my health insurance company in the most ethical and patient friendly manner. Dr. Filler...is one of a kind.....an amazingly wonderful.. genious...he spends whatever time needed to get the job done....and he doesn't stop, until he does. He performs all of his surgeries under an open MRI....thus eliminating any margin of error. I witnessed a very beautiful young African American female....pushed into his office in a wheelchair...while waiting to undergo surgery. We were brought down to his surgi-center at the same time....she was unable to walk pre-surgery. We were both dressed in our gowns....and placed in pre-op surgical beds side by side with a curtain between us. I heard Dr. Filler's PA's and Anesthesiologist communicating with her...and it was absolutely amazing to hear this beautiful young girl that suffered from waist down paralysis......speak so highly and have such confidence in an M.D. She had absolutely no fear going into surgery with Dr. Filler....was actually excited. I felt the same way!!!! I witnessed her being rolled into the office in a wheelchair unable to walk.....and with a very sad and depressed sense of being...and then..after surgery...she walked....gingerly...with assistance...but with the exuberance of being re-born. It was beyond compelling!!! Dr. Filler gives more than the time of day to any and every patient he deals with......and he deals with the most complicated cases...often times caused by other physicians....and he never stops..... until he derives a solution!!!! The neg reviews....against him....are completely....Bogus!!! The individual that posted the most recent neg. review...was traced and investigated....and turns out to be....a physician. So please celebrate....an amazingly wonderful surgeon......and never trust a neg. review!!!!

|  Comlicated case but he is working hard to solve it  |  show details
by Kim T. on Feb 14th, 2013

I met with Dr. Filler for the first time just over a year ago. I had severe pain for over 4 years. His prices are exorbetant but I had injections and then 2 different surgical procedures. I feel like he is trying very hard to figure our what is wrong with me and is trying different medications knowing I can no longer fly across the country. I'm just simply out of funds. As for his employees, I have never really had a problem with them and actually like them. When I call we are on a voice recognition status. The billing is completely screwed up but if you have not received relief from any of your other options I would recommend giving him a try. You always have the right to refuse some treatments if you don't think they are in your best interest. One last thing, it is clearly stated in the new patient information that you may have a long waiting period in his waiting room. They do offer spa treatments for patients so that you are not just sitting and waiting. What is better than a massage or facial while you are waiting. Also, if you don't wish to wait in the waiting room, call them, they will give you an idea about how far behind they are running and you can do anything you want.

|  office staff is rude but Dr changed my life  |  show details
Jan 24th, 2013

The reviews that state the the office staff is rude are very true. Dr Filler changed my life though. I was willing to wait forever to get help and out of pain and Dr Filler did it! I have my life back and feel that the expense of the procedures while they are crazy were well worth it to have my life back, I am thankful for Dr Filler cause he changed my life.

|  PNE Surgery/billing problems!!  |  show details
Nov 29th, 2012

I had surgery with Dr. Filler almost 3 years ago after being diagnosed with pudendal nerve entrapment, a rare condition of my nerve running through a muscle. Dr. Filler has great bedside manner and patience but unfortunately I am still suffering after only minimal pain reduction. Going through the billing system as a patient has been a nightmare w/ Dr. Fillers office!! None of his services that I know of are covered under insurance however his office will bill your insurance company at full price as a service. Dr. Filler's services are VERY expensive and his staff are very rude to customers. I really hoped him and his office would have helped me more considering the bill I am still trying show IS paid. I would not want to get involved with this office ever again.

|  WAKE UP DR. FILLER  |  show details
Oct 6th, 2012

Living across the country from California, I opted for an MR neuro scan close to home. I have been to numerous doctors &therapies without relief for sciatic/butt pain. Never talked tooctal doctor once. Only received a written report after 4 weeks of waiting & calling the office to be promised "tomorrow". Finally got the report which basically said its bursitis. Called the office again a couple of times to see if I could have a phone consult and a copy of my payment receipt. Again promises not kept. HOW IS THIS A WAY TO RUN A DOCTORS OFFICE? Isn't he concerned about his reputation? I have worked for 3 different doctors and they would NEVER let patients be treated this way. Workers have been fired for things less than what his staff gets away with. Dr. Filler, don't you read your reviews?

Jun 10th, 2012

This Doctor may have knowledge, but he is a rip off. His staff are not professional at all and his billing practices should be illegal. Over priced. If he wanted cash with no insurance claims he should have been a cosmetic surgeon!

|  Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome  |  show details
Apr 26th, 2012

I went to see Dr Filler mainly to get an MRI and diagnosis. I had already had problems with injections and told him that I did not want to do anything that would risk making my situation worse.He recommended 3 injections and I foolishly accepted his plan. Immediately following the injections I had a new problem that I did not have before a very serious problem that prevents me from sitting and causes nearly constant buttock pain at the sight of one of the 3 injections.On several occassions I've spoken to Dr Filler about this. He has never apologized or tried to explain what might have happened.I believe that Dr Filler is in it strictly for the money. His fees are very high. I had to spend about $8000 out of pocket for his services.The bottom line is that the money is not really important but that he has caused me more disabling pain and has left me high and dry.

|  stay away from this man  |  show details
Dec 23rd, 2011

This doctor operated on me for pudendal entrapment and with all of his MRI technology he actually operated on the wrong nerve. This was substantiated by 3 other specialists in this field

|  Narcissistic egomaniac suit-happy quack  |  show details
Nov 17th, 2011

Don't let his office get your credit card, too many reports of sky high unauthorized charges. Too many reports of other very unhappy patients still in pain and then ignored. Complainers have been sued by the doctor and his patent license holding exclusive MRIs and costly 'diagnostic' injections. few real success stories posted despite claims of greatness. Be prepared to wait hours and hours. Would not ever recommend.

|  Proceed with caution.  |  show details
Nov 7th, 2011

Walked out without seeing the doctor after waiting for 3-1/2 hrs. post my scheduled appointment time. Most people in the waiting room were annoyed and had been waiting over 2 hours post their appointment times, one stating that the prior week she had waited 6 hours. His staff was nice, but talked loudly to each other making the wait more annoying than necessary while trying to read a book and waiting endlessly to be called. This does not present to me a professional practice. I cannot speak to the doctors' care or diagnosis, as I left before I saw him, but if you value your time this is probably not the practice for you, unless this doctor is a magician and performs feats that others cannot I would go elsewhere, as it appeared from the inner office chat with other patients that this was the norm, hours and hours waiting. He is either over scheduled, or he does not consider that time it valuable to everyone and nobody should be waiting nearly 4 hours to see a doctor with an appointment!

|  moderate improvement  |  show details
Aug 17th, 2011

I suffered excruciating pain for more than four years. Cried every night and dreaded getting up in the morning. Had more treatments and medications than I can list. I live in Florida and after a long and thorough search went to Dr. Filler for treatment. I had had a hip replacement which made my MRN difficult to read. Dr. Filler was not exactly sure what was wrong with my piriformis and I had to take the "leap of faith". It turned out that the muscel had ruptured (probably as a result of being stretched during the hip replacement) He did a resection and removed scar tissue and adhesions from sciatic and super gluteal nerves.) 11 months later, I still have pain but not 24/7, I call it manageable. I need about half the medication, still cannot sit more than about 2 hours without consequences (except in my own chair a little longer) I have somewhat more sciatic pain than before and have a harder time putting weight on my right foot. I am doing physical therapy now and am still in hopes of more improvement. I think my results --while not the miricle I hoped for--is in line with the expectations shown in Dr. Fillers studies.

|  Stay Away  |  show details
Jul 13th, 2011

Overall experience was terrible. He has a hammer and everything looks like a nail to him i.e. he does piriformis surgery, makes (scams) an unbelievable amount of money for the procedure, so he thinks everyone has piriformis syndrome. His office staff is incompetent and even after you pay your bill they will send you to collections.

|  Best Doctor for Piriformis, Thoracic Outlet, and other Nerve Problems  |  show details
Mar 29th, 2011

Dr. Filler solves problems that other doctors have given up on or made worse. Too bad the insurance companies don't want patients to get better if it costs money, and hassle his patients, refusing to pay without appeals. He invented new technology to help his patients, and UCLA told him to do more lucrative work so he went out on his own. Solved a problem that multiple doctors misdiagnosed because they didn't know how to diagnose or treat, or couldn't do the MR Neurography they pirated correctly. Spends lots of time with each patient, brilliant, caring and willing to explain and help. Plus 2 great books, one on spine treatment and one updating evolution (he has an anthropology PhD as well as an MD).

|  Facts vs. ratings  |  show details
Feb 8th, 2011

The wait time includes a 30-45 comprehensive preliminary consult with his clinical colleagues to go prepare a detailed synopsis before an extensive interview and specialized neurological examination directly with Dr. Filler. He is the foremost surgical expert in the field of complex spine and peripheral nerve neurosurgery. Several peer review medical papers with techniques that are often copied by other doctors, in addition to news interviews ranging from TIME magazine,CNN, FOX, ABC news etc. attest to his expertise in medicine. The truth is that Dr. Filler is the inventor for MR Neurography but he is not the patent owner. He does not have his finger in every jar and does not make millions of dollars by preying on the weak. He has dedicated his clinical career to saving thousands of patients from unnecessary and failed spine surgeries. All clinical outcomes are part of a double blind study and these successful outcomes are supported by patients who provide their own signed follow up surveys attesting to getting better. Ironically, some patients will state that they are worse off but when they review their survey forms they find that they actually reported improvement before getting the balance statement when the insurance failed to pay. It is unfortunate that insurance reimbursement or lack thereof is tied into patient perspective of care. For some patients cheap is good even if it does not resolve the issue as long as they do not have to pay anything out of pocket they feel that they are getting good care. In today's health care climate where insurance companies are reporting profits by not paying for medical services, many patients frustrated by their lack of insurance benefits and unfortunately blame Dr. Filler and his staff. However, the medical services charges for this practice are standard and have not increased in over 6 years despite growing health care operational expenses. The valuable services provided are actually a great value given that the reason Dr. Filler is out of network is because he performs services that exceed the medical standard of care rather than making cost savings measures in treatment planning that are advised for in network providers. Sometimes it is best to go for a plan that offers the most options out of network even if it is more expensive per month because you will end up making up for these low payments by having to pay a high deductible and having greater out of pocket expenses for non covered medical services. Having a standard, basic insurance plan is just what it sounds like. You are covered for basic standard services and anything that is considered a sub-specialty medical service will incur high out of pocket costs. Being prepared for medical care is just a fact of life and it is wrong to blame this doctor for a poor choice in plan coverage. Out of the few negative comments that are posted, there are hundreds of patients who have great outcomes and do not write anything because they have moved on with their lives are happy. Get the facts about doctors by contacting state medical society or license boards or even the better business bureau, but it is not wise to make clinical decisions on anonymous reviews which may not be truthful or supported by facts.

Jan 27th, 2011

Dr. Filler operated on me for a nerve problem only to make the condition worse. Subsequent to the procedure and the realization that my symptoms had worsened, he had no interest in attempting to diagnose the new problem and exhibited no interest in correcting the problem let alone attempting to understand what caused the additional symptoms. Furthermore, I paid the out of pocket cost at the time of the procedure only to be billed later for over $5,000. After explaining to the office that I completed the obligation to their satisfaction at the time of service, they transferred the bill to a collection agency and now I am in a legal battle to restore my credit.

Jan 26th, 2011

Dr. Filler treated me for nerve root irritation to which he operated on me for. My symptoms were worse following surgery and after two phone calls before telling me that there was nothing he could do. I paid for the operation fully through insurance as well as $7000 out of pocket. I was told my financial obligation was complete only to receive a bill a year later for over $5000. I explained that I had already paid for the services to the offices satisfaction and then they transfered the bill to a collection agency and now I am fighting to repair my credit. So I am worse off than prior to the surgery and my credit is highly impaired through no fault of my own.

|  A TOTAL QUACK  |  show details
Jan 25th, 2011

STAY AWAY FROM THIS MAN!!! In my opinion, Filler represents the very worst of his profession. He and his are rude, belligerent, and worst of all, they want patients to pay $4,000.00 for a service that would be covered and performed at most major medical centers. In my opinion, this man is a predator and along with his staff he preys upon the week to make money. He's in it for the money, not to help you. Stay away at all costs!

|  Fed up!!  |  show details
Jan 14th, 2011

STAY AWAY!!!!Have spent over $37,000.00 and no results. Owns 3 facilities and will reccommend procedures that will be at all 3. How convenient! So you will receive large bills from 3 different places of business. You will wait up 1 to 2 hours with an appointment to be seen. Then he will see you for 10 minutes. Reccomends Injections that dont work. MRI's that are a waste of money. Then worst case like us SURGERY. Which didnt work and am in more pain then before. Then you will be charged for post op appointments. Office staff is rude, unprofessional, and incompitent in handling any billing issues. PLease don't make the same mistake that we did. You will end up with more headaches then results.

|  TOP DOCTOR IN HIS FIELD  |  show details
Jan 6th, 2011

After more than 4 years of living in excruciating pain. And after seeing many specialists and trying more treatments than I can enumerate, Dr. Filler diagnosed my problem with a few tests and physical emamination. He performed pirformis surgery 3 months ago. I am 60% better now with pain and medication easing off every two weeks. Even if I stayed as I am I would consider this surgery necessary and successful. Because Dr. Filler spends as much time as needed with each patient and because we come from far and wide to see him, you may find the waiting time in his office long. The Result is worth the wait!!

|  Total Quack  |  show details
Dec 1st, 2010

This man is a complete joke. His staff is even worse. He essentially "invented his own technology" to patent something called a MR Neurography. What he doesn't disclose is that as the sole patent holder, he reaps all the profits of any franchise locations and use. Scientifically, he has even been proven to be a joke. The NIH rated the effectiveness of his "technology" at 15%, at best. AVOID THIS "SO CALLED" physician at all costs. He is neither an ethical man, nor is his staff.

by Sharon on Dec 3rd, 2008

I had seen many physicians over a period of 2 years for pain. All tests proved negative and I was told I would have to "live with the pain." I searched the internet and found Dr. Filler and his MRN imaging. He diagnosed the problem on the first visit. I had surgery, stayed in the hospital one night then flew home after 5 days in the motel with my husband. Dr. Filler changed my life and I have been pain free ever since. He gave me my life back. I have no restrictions and am enjoying my family to the fullest!! Dr. Filler was my miracle worker and I will be forever grateful to him and to his MRN.