Internists, Addiction Medicine Specialist

Access Community Health Network
5835 W North Ave
Chicago, IL 60639
773-745-1200
Locations and availability (5)

2.5

|  AVOID ABDEL FAHMY....FLEE FROM HIM AS FAST AS YOU CAN  |  show details
Sep 22nd, 2014

Abdel Fahmy is the most RUDE and UNCARING person I have ever dealt with..That is if he ever shows up for your appointment...From the time I met this guy I felt things were not right..He acted as though he himself was on something...Or he just had a busy night with Jack Daniels. I told the girl on his staff I would like to file a complaint and she said I wasn't the only person wanting to do that. She even know's he"s a screw up. The guy would make me feel like crap or shame me during visit's as though I liked being in pain...It got so bad with this clown that I recorded one of or visits and the people that heard it cant believe he is still in practice...I did not mention the word Dr. in this because i refuse to call him one...Save yourself some pain and flee from this guy as fast as you can...

by Trisha S on Sep 12th, 2014

I like Dr. Fahmy and his staff. I like the groups and have learned a lot. I have been clean for 3 months, this is the most time I have spent clean and I owe it all to Dr. Fahmy. Give Soft Landing Intervention a try

|  rehabilitation  |  show details
Jul 23rd, 2014

Called on a Sunday and promised we would be called within 24 hours. This was a big call for our family. 72 hours called backSoft Landings to ask why were never called back and they never had a record of us calling. We even gave our insurance info to the girl wjho answered the phone on Sunday. Very disappointed with lack of professionalism this was important and they dropped the ball. We are now going elsewhere.

|  Good, Bad and Evil  |  show details
Jun 20th, 2014

For others seeking help and opt to try Soft Landing then u have to take the good with the bad and deal with the Evil. The wait time can be long or short, the confidentiality is open cause you see other patients there. Depending on who you see is key. Sharif is by far the best and always on time and efficient with his and your time. Dr Fahmy is Dr Fahmy. Like a Magician he's there one day and the next he's gone but still a good doc. The whole group thing is garbage. Bunch of people talking about dope which can cause triggers within yourself. Dr Tews is a tool as well as head office b***h Colleen. She's the most worthless of them all. So there's good, bad and evil. Stick with Sharif and your good to go. He's worth going to Soft Landing.

|  DO NOT GO TO SOFT LANDING OR DR FAHMY  |  show details
by Angry on May 10th, 2014

This place is a total scam. All they do is funnel pain patients from DuPage Medical Group into his own privately run "substance abuse" program. All he does it put people on Suboxone, an opiod drug that is used as "management" for people who are either addicted to or dependent on opiate pain pills. First off, the groups are a joke. The "counselors" are clueless ladies who simply talk about Suboxone or some other stuff going on. People go around and just talk about their day or what happened to them at work, or how long the line was at Starbucks. Soft Landing is just a front for Dr Fahmy and Dr Tues to rake in the cash while clueless patients are led to believe that all their problems will be solved with Suboxone, when the truth is that Suboxone is just as addictive as any other opiate pill. The withdrawals from Suboxone are worse AND longer than other opiate pain pills. Also, be expected to wait AT LEAST an hour to be seen or even acknowledged. I recently went in to try to get help to detox after being a patient on and off last year. A lady named Colleen was extremely rude and condescending to me. Although I must admit, I am a heroin addict and have realized that I do not belong at a place like this and need REAL treatment. Overall, if are a pain patient DO NOT go see Dr Fahmy. There are much better, compassionate doctors who do not stigmatize everyone that walks through their doors as "drug seeking" or an "addict". Second, if you are a legitimate opiate addict not taking them for pain - go to a real treatment place if you are serious about quitting. THIS PLACE SUCKS!!!

by Sarah P on Apr 6th, 2014

I need to write a review for Dr. Fahmy. If you need help with pain or addiction he is the doctor for you. Staff, nurses, everyone there is great and they don't make you feel ashamed for being there. Give Dr. Fahmy a chance you. You won't be sorry.

|  Be careful  |  show details
by Pw on Apr 2nd, 2014

After having a spinal fusion surgery on L5-S1 that didn't relieve my nerve pain, I was referred to Dr. Fahmy for help with pain. I was on Norcos at the time and was looking for help managing my meds. There were many red flags I ignored, but a short summary: 1. Dr. Fahmy lied about the drug he was giving me - suboxone - and told me it was a medication for pain. He did not tell me that I would have to go into outpatient rehab to get this drug, nor that it was more addictive than norcos. In fact, I didn’t even know his other ‘office’ was a drug treatment center until the moment I showed up and found myself in a room full of addicts. 2. There was absolutely no discussion of pain management –injections, other meds, etc. 3. No one knew who I was when I showed up and I waited for hours before anyone even talked to me. 4. I was given a bit of suboxone by a nurse (never saw the doc), sent home and told to text Fahmy for help in how much medication to take. He didn't respond to a single text until Sunday night and I spent the weekend having no idea what I was supposed to take or how often. 5. I went to the ridiculous 3-hour group therapy meetings. The counselors there try, but have no idea what they're doing. Example: In one group meeting, we spent 20 minutes watching a comedian on youtube 6. I set up two different meetings to get information and ask him to put me back on pain meds because the whole thing felt completely wrong for my situation. He didn't show up, nor did he let me know he wasn’t coming. When I experienced withdrawals from suboxone his only suggestion was to go back on suboxone. I was so relieved when I was finally rid of him (with the help of my doctor), I cried. Bottom line: If you’re in pain, do not go to Dr. Fahmy. He is manipulative and untrustworthy. The doctors at Dupage Medical are above board and trustworthy, but they drank whatever Kool-Aid Dr. Fahmy is feeding them.

Mark as Helpful  | 11 people found this helpful Report Abuse
 |  HE'S NOT BOARD CERTIFIED IN PAIN OR ADDICTION MEDICINE  |  show details
by Former Pain Management Patient on Mar 5th, 2014

I agree with numerous other reviewers who believe "Dr." Fahmy, his staff and family are writing the good reviews. Notice that they sound like a commercial, give way too much information, that a normal patient review would not contain AND they emphasize that all the bad reviews are from addicts, who can't be trusted...not so. He has very dissatisfied patients in other areas of his practice. This "doctor" is not board certified in either pain or addiction specialties and has the same training, in these very important areas of medicine, that any internal medicine doctor has. It's a mystery to me why DuPage Medical Group would allow this man to see any of their patients. He claims to be a pain and addiction "specialist" but doesn't have the credentials to back up that claim. He is rude, unprofessional, unethical and violated doctor/patient confidentiality. He was not familiar with my medical condition and did not review my file, even after seeing for a year. If you need a caring, compassionate, knowledgeable pain or addiction professional - who doesn't have to write their own good reviews - then don't waste your time and money with this "doctor". Find someone who is board certified and fully qualified to manage your medical care...someone who is dedicated to their area of medicine enough to continue their education. If you want to be treated rudely and disrespectfully by someone not qualified to treat you in these critical areas of medicine - then this is your guy! If it was possible to rate 0 Stars that's what I would've given.

Mark as Helpful  | 11 people found this helpful Report Abuse
 |  Horrible  |  show details
by John C on Feb 21st, 2014

My mother attempted to go to this place. She's in so much pain she needs a walker. The subhuman staff had the nerve to tell to run and fetch her glasses from the car located several hundred meters from the office. Because she had difficulty understanding the questions on the 50 page intake packet, the staff became irritated with her. She subsequently got a little short with one of the staff (maybe because she was in severe pain and not being helped) and the staff called an office manager who kicked my mother out of the office. Don't just avoid this place, run from it!

Mark as Helpful  | 13 people found this helpful Report Abuse
 |  Satisfied  |  show details
by Foster on Dec 9th, 2013

Dr Fahmy cares about his patients. He is not easy going but while going thru his program and meeting other patients in group, you begin to understand why. We are all at different stages in recovery and I am sure he hears his fair share of bs. I would recommend him and his practice if your mission is getting clean.

|  show details
by Anonymous on Oct 22nd, 2013

This guy is a joke. It will take you hours and hours and hours in the waiting room. I actually felt like he was on drugs himself. He is very rude, not respectful of anyone's time etc. If you have hours and days to waste then go ahead, but you have been warned.

|  Unprofessional and unethical  |  show details
Jul 31st, 2013

Overall, interacting with this doctor was a terrible experience. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt during the four months I was his patient, but each encounter was worse than the previous one. I think he needs help, and I'm not talking about 'workload', I'm talking psychological. He is rude, arrogant, demeaning, demanding, and insulting; and those are some of his better characteristics. His comments about other doctors are unprofessional, almost as if he is jealous of their patients' loyalty to those doctors. He needs to be sanctioned or reprimanded by the Dupage Medical Group. My experience with him has soured my opinion of DMG. His comments about my previous doctor were disgusting. His staff is outstanding, but even they know he has problems. I urge you to get medical help elsewhere as I have done.

|  MeCHE  |  show details
by MechE on Apr 15th, 2013

Please pay no attention to the negative and 1 star posts. Dr. Fahmy knows his stuff when it comes to substance abuse. If you are serious about getting clean off opiates and have found yourself wasting all your darn money, (or are just hooked from a past injury and sick of the lifestyle) please stop over at one of the Soft Landing recover buildings (Oakbrook Terrace and Naperville, IL). Suboxone has turned my life around. The night groups and Saturday sessions with Dr, Toos are great. Pizza friday night and jimmy johns saturday. All the docs are awesome and the front desk ladies are wonderful. Just note that the 1 star posts are probably from a hopeless addict that can't be trusted by the doctors (Or anyone else in the program for that matter) and are mad because they doctors don't feel they are ready to 'complete' the group and be prescribed monthly instead of weekly (must pass weekly drug tests for the first few months)..... FYI You must have insurance to start the program.

Oct 25th, 2012

Dr. Fahmy is a great doctor. Please do not believe the other reviews. Patient who have addiction issues are demanding patients, I know, I am one of them. Dr. Fahmy and his staff made me feel safe and welcomed from the moment I walked in.

|  FInally a doctor who CARES & LISTENS!  |  show details
Sep 24th, 2012

I have been a patient of Dr. Fahmys for a little over a year now. Ive seen him in the Soft Landings office and at Dupage Medical Group. He is the best doctor I have ever had! He doesnt act like most doctors, and is easy to talk to. He actually took the time to read my file and answer my questions. Too many doctors rush you in & out. Their only concern is getting the copay from insurance. Because suboxone is so expensive (costing the same amount of money to me if it is a weeks supply, or a months supply) I remind him of this if I need a refill. There are NO other suboxone doctors that would call in a refill. Unfortunately, Ive been on suboxone for a long time now and have had 4 suboxone doctors before Dr. Fahmy. The other doctors seem more concerned with the copay. They dont care about the patient. Since my very first appointment with Dr. Fahmy, I knew my search was over. What a great doctor!Dr Fahmy even gives his patients his own personal cell phone number in case of emergencies. That is very reassuring because I am dependent on this medication and need to be able to reach my doctor. There is no after hours call center to worry about passing along info.I would recommend Dr Fahmy to any of my friends.

|  Good and Bad  |  show details
Sep 12th, 2012

I will say to the person accusing him of writing the good reviews himself or having someone write them that I noticed a couple things. The good reviews repeatedly say his name and staff names and alot of them conclude with make sure to call him if you need help. They properly capitalize his name and company name too. I think alot of bloggers might miss some of these practices. In fact the only error they have is some slightly imperfect english like maybe an Egyptian doctor might use. That being said, my experiences with him were good and bad. My biggest complaint is that I was told he could have me put comfortably on Suboxone and detoxed off of it whenever I feel ready wheather its in a week, month, year or never. Once I was on it though, it was no longer up to me. He wouldnt help me off of it. After taking myself off of it finally, I went almost two weeks of cold hard withdrawal and he wouldnt even prescribe a sleeping pill, not 1 medication to assist me. I begged him that I was fighting this as hard as I could and nothing despite the "army of medications" he originally said they would be able to use to ease any discomfort if I ever decide to go off of it. The one thing he did do that was truley great as others pointed out was continue to see me for free when I lost my insurance. This could have been so Id continue to see him when I got it back, who knows. Most of the good points came from the medication itself. I wouldnt be so bitter if I had been told I was there for maintenance period. Keeping my hopes of getting off of it alive while making it appear to be up to me then not helping with it was kinda twisted.

|  Just Wants Your Money  |  show details
Aug 14th, 2012

What a terrible experience. Here is a guy who purports to be some sort of expert in his field, but really just makes it his goal to shame you into coming back to him for more beatings.

|  This Doctor is BAD NEWS (after he manipulates you through a "honeymoon" period!)  |  show details
Apr 14th, 2012

This Dr is THE most manipulative and an undercover UNprofessional. It is unbelievable tht Dupage Medical Group has him working as their Addiction Medicine Specialist, so he can deem and/or label everyone coming through the door at Dupage Med Group as needing help or as an "addict" for chronic pain issues and refer them to HIS suboxone clinic that he is the owner and CEO of. He herds the patients from DMG over there, along w/ patients from ACCESS (his other place of clinic duty)to SOFT LANDING - where it is an outrageous priced CASH business of getting people hooked on SUBOXONE. He is telling patients that take small amounts of Norco to start on Suboxone, which is a stronger med than Norco and once you are on the Suboxone, you have to have it or the withdrawals are worse than what the original Norco would be. This has happened to two people I know of and almost me! My first couple of meetings with Fahmy, I thought he was the greatest thing that could have happened until I started hearing the rumors about him and my actual surgeon told me to "Do my homework" on him and I found that he is TROUBLE - far more than any of the alleged "addicts" he treats. Unfortunate and he will be caught soon - the DEA has reports on him. If you're in the honeymoon phase with him, I wish you well -- from what I have heard, the cash from Suboxone has made him greedy and he has changed. All too bad for the unsuspecting patients that come for help

|  Compassion and Professionalism  |  show details
Apr 21st, 2010

Probably the most caring and compassionate physicians you will ever find. Most doctors have lost site of what their purpose is, helping people in need, as stated in their oath. This man is truly concerned about your well being and legitimately cares about you as an individual.

|  stay away  |  show details
by honest_and_sober on Mar 6th, 2010

I wish I had the energy to write all my issues with Dr. Fahmy. I'll just say this: I went to him to finally address my addiction with painkillers. My life revolved around a pharmacy. I thought that the stability with suboxone, and the help of Dr. Fahmy would stop that. I was more than ready, more than invested in treatment, and I found myself waiting at the pharmacy, time and time again. He would cancel appointments, and say that he would call in the medication. That's where I found myself "stalking" the pharmacy, awaiting for Fahmy to do his job. If you dare call him on this, he some how twists the story, and makes it your fault. One of the worst things a "professional" in substance abuse can do. Blame and shame is something I feel all the time as a former addict, so it's a mind-mess when the DR. supposing to help you, makes you feel that way. After time and time again, after seeking outside opinions, proving I was drug free, I was advised by several other professionals, that he wasn't professional, he's twisted, and now my opinion, sick.The only good thing about Soft Landing, Fahmy's addiction "treatment" center, is the staff, aside from his brother, whom, by the way, is the one who is contacted by the answering service, after hours, despite the severity of the situation. He is not an M.D. a counselor, an RN, LPN, anything. He is the office manager, secretary whatever. If you ask the answering service to page DR. Fahmy, they say they cannot, they do not have access to do so, and the only option is to page, and get a call back from his brother. And he does NOT call back. I was in an urgent situation, called so many times, never heard back. The answering service did all they could, they were kind, but I never heard from him.In recovery, the mind, soul, and body is recovering. I felt so much shame knowing I was an "addict." I hoped a DR. who supposedly is an expert in the field would help me ease all the complex issues that arise while getting sober. At first, Dr. Fahmy will be all "honeymoon" phase. For about a month or two. Then hold on, it WILL change. All my trust I placed in him was shattered, and I left scarred b/c I felt guilty, until realizing the twisted mind games he plays. Find another referral. PS. I've seen other reviews posted recently on other websites that give him RAVE reviews, after 5 or 6 reviews that are a lot like this one. I'd bet money he asked someone to do it, or did it himself. I overheard him yelling about website complaints, and POOF! all these raving reviews. I smell a rat. Him. Enough said.An Honest, sober patient.

|  To Unhappy Patient , Anonymous & Very Disappointed  |  show details
by Succesful Patient - A.M. on Jan 14th, 2010

I would like to address the few reviews on this page from "Unhappy" , "Anoynomous" & "Very Disapointed" and the reviews set forth by them as what they call a review. Dr.Fahmy is not a so called Money Hungry Addiction Doctor as stated. Look around at other doctors and you'll find that out. The initaial payment you speak about was years ago and i payed it myself and received nothing but the the best treatment of my addiction, mental status, follow up and a caring staff. Evidentally it wasn't within yourself to have the will power to stay sober and beat the odds. I've been a patient of Dr. Fahmy's for almost 3 years now and my first intial payment was for a year of treatment where i was stabalized in a remote location with a nurse on staff for the transition of the best thing called Suboxone. For that whole year i paid nothing and received the treatment needed for a hard core addict. At one point I lost my job and after that year was up I was still treated without expectation of any money cause of the care and compassion Dr. Fahmy has to see people get better both pysically & mentally. If you call for treatment things have changed since the iniatial down payment for a year of treatment to suit the needs of the addicts that WANT to get sober and live their live as they should. I have the privilidge to not only get the treatment needed from Dr. Fahmy but also to utilize the Counseling Service he does provide on site with Lea. If your not in this 100%, your gonna get nothing out of it and from just those 3 reviews I just read, evidentallly these patients were not fully commited to the program and full sobriety. I have introduced many of patients to Dr. Fahmy and they all are still patients and would not go anywhere else due to the care received in his office by the himself, his staff and his counseler Lea. They have done great things for not only me but my friends also that were at their lowest place and I highly recommend anyone reading this to call him and get back on track with his & his staff's help. Have an open mind and come 100% cause you will get 110% back from them.

|  A True Friend  |  show details
Jan 11th, 2010

From the very first moment I placed the initial call to Soft Landings to look into getting help for my addiction to opiates(vicodin & oxycontin), the office staff and especially Dr. Fahmy have been nothing but friendly, professional, and considerate. During my initial visit - I was most impressed by the genuine nature of Dr. Fahmy. I truly felt that he took a personal interest in my problem, health history - as well as me as a person. For once in my life - I did not feel like a number in a doctor's office. So to those of you that may be looking to explore Soft Landings and becoming a patient under the guidance of Dr. Fahmy - I would like to leave you with one fact. Since my initial visit 7 months ago, I have not taken 1 vicodin, oxycontin or any other opiate. I am very happy with my results. With results such as mine - I would not mind having to wait an extra 15 minutes for an appointment every once in a while.

|  Very thankful for Dr. Fahmy!  |  show details
by Happy Patient :) on Jan 10th, 2010

If it were not for Dr. Fahmy, and his wonderful staff, I would probobly be dead in a ditch someonewhere. They are NOTHING but life savers. After being addicted to opiates on and off for several years, it was finally time to get help. I called several places one day to try and get help ASAP. Because I was currently starting to go through the dreadful and painful withdrawl symptoms. Every place I called couldnt get me in for weeks, even months. WTF is that??? I had one last number on my list of addiction places to call, which was soft landing recovery. I called and this wonderful angel answered the phone, she was very delightful and took the time to answer every question I had and she even talked to my dad for a while. She got me in right away. I was so thankful! and from then on started my treatment. Sure I have had to wait maybe 10 min at the most... but what Dr.s office doesnt have you wait?? It doesnt mean they dont want to help you!! Its just that they are busy with other patients, or other inportant things! You can NOT be selfish! your not the ONLY one that needs help!!patience is a virtue! Dr. Fahmy is always there when I need to see him, or need a re-fill on my prescription, or whatever else I need!! and I am sooo thankful for that!! I was NEVER once left hanging. One other Doctor that I see for headaches charges $51.00 just to talk to his nurse, or the Dr. Now THAT is money hungry! They even charge $43.00 for e-mailing the Dr. That is redicoulous! Dr. Fahmy is FREE!!! The rest if the staff is very knowledgeble, and has helped me a lot. I have had several counseling sessions with the best counselor I have ever been to. She has helped me realize many things about myself, and my life. She has also givin me some of the best advice I have ever gotten. Its always a pleasure to meet with her. As well as Dr. Fahmy. I would defiently reccomend Dr. Fahmy and Soft Landing Recovery to anybody who has been dealing with addiction. I couldnt be more thankful for all of them!

|  Worse than a used car salesman!  |  show details
by unhappy patient on Dec 28th, 2009

I wouldn't even call Fahmy a "Dr." When he initially tells you about his treatment program it sounds wonderful, but everything he tells you is just a line to get your money. Neither he nor his staff do any of the things that they say they are going to and do very few things that are supposed to be part of the $4500 "program". Opiate addiction treatment requires trust, which is never fostered. Fahmy makes things much more difficult than they should be and is definitely not worth all of the $$$ he charges. He calls his company "Soft Landing" but it should be "Crash Landing".

|  Very Disapointed  |  show details
by Very disapointed on Dec 8th, 2009

When you come to an appointment with Dr. Fahmy plan to spend the day waiting to see him because he is always late or doesn't show up at all. He spends less than 10 minutes with you after obviously not reading your chart because he doesn't know your name or anything else about you as a patient. He doesn't answer questions , address concerns, or return phone calls. He shows a lack of interest and no desire to help. He acts as if it a burden and a bother when he does see you for the 10 minutes. The staff says that you need him he doesn't need you so don't complain, or he will just refuse to see you as a type of punishment if you mention the very long wait times. He is very arrogant and hostile when speaking to you. His staff is very unprofessional and uninformed. No one wants to help and treats the patients like they are non-humans when they find out that you are there to see him for Suboxone therapy. Your information is not kept private or confidential by the staff. The staff will call out your name and loudly ask you questions about your treatment or why you are there. I would not recommend this doctor to anyone who is able to find anyone else that can help treat addiction. He does not practice according to the oath that he took when he decided to become a doctor and surronds himself with a staff that is just as unprofessional.

|  Dr. Fahmy is great if you need help with opiate addiction  |  show details
Jun 6th, 2009

My fiance has been seeing Dr. Fahmy for a little more than a year now. We found Dr. Fahmy online when my fiance was in a really bad place, having a really difficult time. When other doctors either couldn't see him for a month or expected him to suffer through weeks of methadone withdrawals, Dr. Fahmy was a life saver. He agreed to see my fiance the day we contacted him (on a Sunday, at about 8 pm), and from the very beginning he was very compassionate and understanding. It's true that he used to charge $4500 (not anymore; now you pay month to month as long as you need to) but with that money up front, the only thing we paid for the next year was my fiance's medication. We've seen a lot of doctors specializing in opiate treatment due to my fiance's chronic pain and resulting dependence, and none of them came anywhere close to Dr. Fahmy in terms of compassion, understanding, and excellence of care. The key to successful addiction treatment is not only a willingness, but a strong desire to change. I would recommend that anyone who is dependent on or addicted to opiates and ready for change, to make their life better, should contact Dr. Fahmy to get started.

|  Terrible Doctor..Stay Away  |  show details
by Unhappy ,Anonymous on Feb 10th, 2009

Dr. Fahmy is not qualified to treat people for addiction. He spent 15 minutes with me, gave me an rx for Suboxone and promised me a therapist to see for counseling. Online counseling is not counseling! He charged $4500 dollars for his "program". He quoted me a much lower amount on phone. When I came in for 1st visit, he switched price. He was ALWAYS late for appointments, some times he did not show up at all. He would never return phone calls, getting a refill called into pharmacy took days! He is unprofessional. He swore to staff members in office and was verbally aggressive. His staff is not trained and should not be providing counseling either. He is terrible and I would advise NO ONE to go to this doctor. He will not help you. He is a scam, will just take your money! He should be shut down.

|  This doctor should loose his license.  |  show details
Aug 15th, 2008

Abdel Fahmy, MD has a supposed addiction recovery program. His intake is inadequate and his follow up is even worse. This man is money hungry. My sister is a RX pill addict and has severe psychiatric trouble for many years. He took 4500.00 dollars from my family with our hopes that he could help her. All Dr. Fahmy provided was some Suboxone and a few urine drug tests. He promised some intense counseling sessions and access to him at all times. My sister is still an addict. Dr. Fahmy should have known according to my sisters' history that she needed much more than her could offer. He is not helping anyone but his own financial interests.