Dr. Agnes Blau Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Agnes Blau?

3 Ratings with 1 Comment

September 9th, 2009

Unprofessional, Personally Harmful

I went to see Dr. Blau several years ago seeking help for what I believed was adult ADD. Dr. Blau had a different opinion. Her diagnosis: I had been a spoiled child with little self-discipline which resulted in my lack of focus. She seemed to come to her diagnosis based on her first impression of me and my mother who came with me to the appointment. I was 18 at the time. She grilled me on how many hours per week I studied in school, and derided my choice of college major. I felt treated like a hostile witness on the stand. Andy of the answers I supplied, she turned to my mother to corroborate. If my mother could not confirm my answer, Dr. Blau disregarded it.When I told Dr. Blau that I had severe trouble concentrating on reading, and following driving directions, she looked me in the eye and laughed. At 18 year old I hadn't experience a doctor be so cold and condescending. It left me hurt and jaded. For several years afterwards I was unwilling to seek help for my troubles, out of feat that I'd be mistreated by a doctor again. When I finally did seek psychiatriac help I learned that I'd been suffering from post traumatic stress and disassociateve diorder caused by childhood trauma. So much for the doctor's spoiled child theory.I don't expect that Dr. Blau could have discovered the roots of my problem in that short visit, but if she listened to what I was capable of describing at that time, she could have at least deduced that maybe I suffered from anxiety disorder and refer me to a therapist. She did none of that. She suggested I enroll in a course in time-management.Several years later I finally got my nerve together and sought out medical help. I found several doctors who have provided me with the care I've needed. Professional and caring doctors are out there. Based on my experience, Dr. Blau is not one of them.

June 13th, 2016