Dr. Akhil Khanna MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

September 12th, 2016
I have only had one visit and for a person who has absolutely no trust in the medical system, I am now developing hope.

April 15th, 2016
Very professional practice
I appreciate the high level of professionalism of this practice. Dr. Khanna treats each patient with respect, gives each patient the time to ensure all questions are answered, and the course of treatment is clearly understood. All of the staff in his office are very professional. I have referred family members to Dr. Khanna. I recommend him highly.

January 25th, 2016
This man is gift. I have followed closely doctor after doctor who have tried to help my friend with her debilitating pain from rheumatoid arthritis, fibromialgia, etc., medications, surgeries, pain specialist. She continued to be in so much back pain that doctors did what they could to relieve it. Finally a back surgeon sent her to Dr. Khanna. Within 10 minutes, he had looked at the MRI, listened to her description of pains in her back and said, "I don't think it is your back, I think it is your hips." He used some diagnostic tools to test his decision and there was immediate relief like I had not seen. He is incredible, upbeat, patient and brilliant. So is his staff: Charmaine, Mr. Volatile, Dr. Botilin. He is indeed a gift.

November 6th, 2015
Business Owner
First off...........Dr. Khanna, after several other doctors, know that I have a VERY severe case of Degenerative Disc Disease, herniated discs and additionally spondylitis I visited Dr. Khanna I saw his staff, which are very efficient, John, his PN and then Dr. Khanna. Dr. K then recommended surgery. I have recently found out that a friends father of mine has also had surgery with him. I have had 8 steroids shots in shoulder and neck equally which do not offer much solution. I am very much looking forward to surgery. He is going to replace my 4 discs and do bone marrow in between. I have advised him of my issues with DNA and swallowing issues and breathing issues due to the compression of the discs and he has assured me that I can look forward to 80% improvement. I have lived with this serious pain, lack of quality of life and inability to function as a normal human being. I LIVE and BREATH pain but definitely keep my attitude positive ALL the time. I am very much looking forward to getting back to myself. So glad to have been recommended to this Dr. and will keep you posted of my results after Thanksgiving. Having surgery day before Thanksgiving and actually am not at all worried about missing turkey day for the benefits that this will lead to afterwards. I am finally happy to know that soon I will be so much more able to have a great quality of life back. Thank you Dr. Khanna for the positive reinforcement.

October 30th, 2015
Lumbar fusion
I am physician- when I suspected I was going to need some intervention for a low back problem I researched a number of options and decided Dr Khanna was the best person to manage my problem. I am now 8 months post fusion and doing well (though I have not lost as much weight as I should have by now). It is a work in progress.

July 3rd, 2015
Dr. A. Jay khanna is the very best. I would not go to any other spine doctor.

April 8th, 2015
The "best", professional, knowledgeable, understanding, focused on me. Excellent results with very difficult surgery!

April 7th, 2015
Dr. Khanna was very thoughtful in making my diagnosis and deciding on the course of treatment. I was in significant pain from impingments on my sciatic nerve from severe stenosis and scoliosis. This was an inherited condition that left my mother and aunt bedridden in their later years and on heavy pain meds. The first time I stood up after the surgery, the pain was totally gone. Dr. Khanna performed an extensive fusing and repair in order to give me the best chance at a long-lasting fix. He encouraged walking and PT to strengthen my legs, back and abs. These have done their job and I am only using a cane at 7 weeks post-surgery mainly for stability due to a knee also in need of repair. This was a life-changing surgery for me. Before it I avoided walking as much as possible and was slowly withdrawing from any activity due to my pain. There were no complications and hospital care was excellent. I couldn't be more pleased.

March 12th, 2015
Very Pleased with Dr. K
I was very fortunate to be referred to Dr. Khanna by Dr. Thiel when my MRI showed some damaged c-spine issues, which had been the cause of unrelenting pain for about 6-7 weeks. Dr. Khanna got me in to see him quickly, and fit me into his surgery schedule rapidly, so that my pain was relieved by a successful operation on 10/31. He and his PA were good with followup, etc. My only 2 complaints are 1) I had a bad case of thrush mouth right after the surgery, which left me unable to eat and thus very weak. I was referred to my primary when he easily could have called in a prescription for me, saving me from having to travel (I was very weak post-surgery) more and wait longer. 2) I had to ask for a scrip for physical therapy, which I think is rather odd considering I had significant cervical spine surgery...I would have thought a PT referral would have been standard protocal! Other than that, I was very pleased with Dr. K and his team. They really saved my life!

January 11th, 2015
Management with Calmra Inc.
I can hardly find the right words that will do this fantastic Dr. Justice. I went four years in endless pain after I was told that I needed this complicatedSurgery. I met with endless doctors trying to find one that I was completely comfortable with. Even though I new the longer i waited the worst my problem got, I still could not bring myself to That surgery. I was literally scared to death. That is until I met with Dr.A. Jay Khanna. I knew by the end of my second visit that he was the one. I have not had a moment of regret. I thank God for bringing this excellent Dr. Into my life. My operation was a complete success. Thank you Dr Khanna for all you did for me. My sons, my mom, my siblings, my significant other, all Thank you, all met with you prior to my surgery and shared my feelings about you as well. You are indeed a man of God.

January 2nd, 2015
My experience
I had seen a few doctors for herniated disc in my lumbar spine and I could never get a final answer on what to do about it. When things started getting worse in my back and leg, I tried to find another doctor to talk to. I was surprised to find Dy Jay Khanna who is affiliated with Johns Hopkins Hospital to accept my insurance. It was very easy to get an appointment and the staff were wonderful to deal with. There is a staff of six people sitting behind that counter to help you at any time you visit. Dr Khanna was great to deal with. He had me get an MRI and recommended ways of dealing with my problem without pushing any particular remedy. I decided to go with surgery by him after I found out he had done hundreds of similar procedures. I have to mention this wasn't a simple in and out surgery. L4, L5, S1 sections had to be put back in place with use of metal pieces( Don't know the medical terminology). Its been 2 months since then and I am a new man after 3 years of agony. When he came to see me after the surgery, he acted like he had pulled a tooth for me, as in "No big deal", so confident and reassuring. By the way, if you need to lose some weight, after staying a couple of days in Suburban Hospital, you will succeed. The food is horrible. Thanks Dr khanna.

April 25th, 2014
Amazing Doctor
For the past year and a half I've been suffering spinal stenosis (L4/L5 and S/1 rubbing together). The pain was excruciating so I went through PT, 3 epidurals, radiofrequency ablasion, acupuncture and anything else you can think of to avoid surgery. Unfortunately nothing worked so I was referred to Dr. Khanna and was scheduled for surgery on 4/2nd but came down with a virus, 102 fever and therefore had to cancel the surgery. Lo and behold after 8 days in bed the pain was gone. I started working out again and the pain came back but not nearly as bad as it was. I was hesitant to go through the surgery (rescheduled for 5/12th) so I went back to see Dr. Khanna. Lo and behold after spending about a half an hour with me (I'm a 47 year old woman, extremely active, in shape, and live for the gym) I asked for his opinion and he was completely honest and taking this in consideration I decided to NOT go through with the surgery at this time. I LOVE THIS DOCTOR, LOVE HIS HONESTY, AND LOVE THE FACT that he HELPED ME MAKE THIS DECISION to avoid this very INVASIVE surgery at this age. Fingers crossed that I can buy another 10 years until I have to go through with it.