DO NOT GO TO THIS OVERRATED SPECIALIST show details DO NOT GO TO THIS OVERRATED SPECIALIST
Jun 15th, 2015

Everything, and I mean everything, about my experience with Dr. Rook was incomprehensible. I am a medical student and cannot believe the manner in which Dr. Rook and his direct assistant, Barbara, treat patients. At 26, I was diagnosed with Cutaneous T Cell Lymphoma (CTCL). I had a rapid growing nodule removed by a plastic surgeon before I had any idea what it was. The plastic surgeon herself called me with the pathology result. It was CTCL. She scheduled me the next available appointment with Dr. Rook - 6 weeks away. She assured my Dr. Rook is the best person on the East Coast to see for CTCL. (What I now know to be true is that Penn defines "best" as sees the most patients with this relatively uncommon disease. "Best" is all in the eye of the beholder at Penn - there are very good and very rotten apples.) I had no idea what stage of CTCL I was, or what to expect in any way. So I called Dr. Rook's office. I got Barbara. I asked her if she could read the results sent over from Plastics and give me an idea of what to expect. Her first words? "Are you red from head to toe?" I was not, so she quickly dismissed me saying, "You know you are not a patient here until your appointment in 6 weeks? I will not give you any information until that time. Stay off the Internet. It will only scare you." She was only interested in helping me if I was suffering from a severe form of CTCL. There was a complete lack of consideration for the fact that I was 26, studying for my Step 1 boards and was just told I had lymphoma. I was powerless. 6 weeks of much reading (and amazing help from physicians within my medical school who ran tests to see if there were any systemic indications of lymphoma or pathologic T cells), I arrived in Dr. Rook's office. He waltzes into the exam room with a woman he fails to introduce (throughout the entire exam I had no idea who she was - I asked at the end) and starts talking. He doesn't begin the visit with what all patients should be asked: "Please tell me what is going on." He tells me he went to the pathology department to review my slides, but they didn't have my results ready. So get this, HE DID NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO LOOK AT MY SLIDES! I wait 6 weeks, am forced to seek alternate medical advice in the meantime, and he has the nerve to look me in the eye and tell me that he has not reviewed my pathology results prior to my visit. The next thing he does results in all trust I may have had in him to vanish. He tells me he believes - simply based on my physical presentation - that I have a very early stage CTCL. He wants to officially change my path report. But remember, he wants to do this without having seen my pathology slides for himself. It turns out the surgical pathologist refuses to change his report - against Dr. Rook's strong recommendation. I will never know whether or not the pathologist or Dr. Rook is medically accurate. But, I will NEVER return to a physician who wants to change a diagnosis, that if missed, is deadly, without even examining my slides. To top it all off, he recommends a genetic test to see if there are any abnormal markers. Of course I consent, wanting anything that he thinks will help diagnose me. 4 weeks later, I call for the results. No one from the office called me. I had to call. And Dr. Rook informs me that the genetic stain is actually unintelligible at this time as it's still in the research stage. So in 6 months we should re-do it. He decided to perform a test that cost me more than $1000 and failed to tell me it's still in the research phase! I have found another CTCL specialist in Philadelphia. And could not be happier with the office staff, sensitivity and timeliness as well as the physician. I am happy to share information. (ral5091@yahoo.com)

The ultimate physician show details The ultimate physician
Mar 23rd, 2012

I cannot say enough positive things about Dr. Rook. I wish I had known about him for the time I wasted with two other physicians. Not only is he thorough, but he actually seems to care about his patients, making himself available for questions or concerns if needed. That is certainly not the way today's new physicians handle their practices. I am more than satisfied with his service, his expertise, and the wonderful rapport he immediately established with me (and I'm sure, with his other patients). His staff have the only the nicest things to say about him. How amazing is that!! If there were such a rating as 4-star offered here, he would certainly get it from me. Thank you Dr. Rook.

Patient from N.Y. show details Patient from N.Y.
Apr 15th, 2010