Emergency Physician, Sports Medicine Specialist, Surgeons, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Plano Orthopedics & Sports Medicine
5228 W Plano Pkwy
Plano, TX 75093
972-250-5700
Locations and availability (3)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Dr. Barber is the best  |  show details
by LaVaughn Watts on Jun 12th, 2013

Dr. Barber treated me for knee pain that I have been dealing with for awhile. He took the time to listen to my issues, reviewed treatment options, and I felt he really cared about helping me get the issue resolved. In the end surgery was needed to fix my knee issue and his knowledge and expertise cannot be beat. I'm still in the early recovery stages but I have nothing but great things to say about my experience with Plano Orthopedics and Dr. Alan Barber. I've been to a lot of orthopedic doctors in the last 20 years for various sports injuries and I have to say Dr. Barber has been the best experience. Wait time to be seen has been excellent. Most of the time I'm back seeing Dr. Barber and his PA before my actual appointment time. Bedside Manner - Excellent, Dr. Barber and his staff make you feel like your the top priority. It's nice to have a doctor willing to sit down with you in a room and listen to you!

Apr 24th, 2013

I felt very rushed on my first visit to Dr. Barber. His PA seemed very efficient but was very hurried and didn't introduce herself before beginning what seemed to be a rote speech. Dr. Barber was pleasant but was arrogant, condescending and sexist. Surgery isn't necessary for my problem, and I'll go to physical therapy. However, I felt so angry after seeing him the first time, I'm unsure if I'll see him for a follow-up visit.

|  First Time Patient  |  show details
Mar 1st, 2013

The doctor and his PA are excellent, but while there is at least one very nice, helpful person in the front office, not everyone is that way and service is inconsistent.

Oct 5th, 2012

I saw Doctor Barber, excellent experience!he explain everything and he show to me that he loves his profession and care about the patient. Is very difficult these days to find a Doctor with passion, the knowledge that he have and to care for the his patient. He make my problem easy to accept and move forward to fix it! Thanks Doctor Barber!!

|  NOT Recommended  |  show details
Jun 22nd, 2012

I dont write reviews very often, but definitely have to this time.I had a morning appointment and arrived a little bit early. I filled out the forms that the office staff gave me. I was then told that my insurance was coming up as being terminated a few weeks earlier. I told them that we were no longer with our last employer and that we had signed up for COBRA to extend the insurance coverage, so the insurance should be 100% active. They told me again that Blue Cross is showing that the insurance is no longer active. I told them that there must be a mistake since I have been to other doctors, had MRIs done, and had physical therapy all this month without problems. I told them that the day before, I received an approval letter from my insurance for more physical therapy and also for an MRI. I explained that there is no way that I dont have insurance coverage. The office staff then called one of their office managers to come and talk to me. The manager, Tim, reiterated that the insurance is inactive. I asked him if I could call Blue Cross to straighten it out. He said yes. I stepped outside the front door to call my insurance, and as I was wrapping up the call, one of the offices assistants came out and called me to come inside. I apologized for being on the phone and told her that Im talking with the insurance company and theyre correcting the issue. I said that the insurance rep is almost done wrapping it up and in one or two minutes everything should be fixed. The office assistant turned around and went back inside. After about two minutes, I went inside to tell them that Blue Cross corrected everything, but the woman at the counter told me that the doctor is refusing to see me and I have to reschedule. I told her that I drove from Downtown Dallas and took a day off to see Dr. Barber. The woman called someone in the back and said, we have a situation here, as though Im a trouble-maker. Finally after a while, she told me that theyll see me. After that, they called me in.The nurse came in first. She asked a couple of questions about my shoulder problem, and then asked me, Why are you here? I repeated what I said regarding my shoulder pain, etc. She turned to me with an angry look on her face and in a very aggressive tone asked me again, Why are you here? She then told me that I had said my insurance runs out at the end of the month, so theres no time to do surgery. I told her that I dont know if I even need surgery and I need to see the doctor to get his advice on what I should do. I first got the feeling that she was angry because she thought my insurance was going to run out and they wouldnt be able to make money off of the surgery. I told her that COBRA is a month-to-month program and I can extend my Blue Cross coverage on a month-to-month basis by simply paying for any additional months as I go. If I needed surgery, I could extend it one more month and schedule surgery for next month. She, in her angry, aggressive tone said, You came in here 45 minutes late! and When you were called in, you told our staff to go away and wait because you were busy on a personal call. I explained to her that I was actually early for my appointment, and had been told by Tim, the manager, that I could call Blue Cross to straighten out the insurance. What the nurse was saying was completely false, and she was being extremely rude and offensive. She finally calmed down, but instead of becoming polite and even apologizing for her mistake, she simply blew off what I said and began asking about my shoulder problem again. At that point, I was so offended and downright angry that I told her I wanted to leave. I told her that I dont feel comfortable there anymore and that the office staffs behavior reflects upon the doctor, so theres no way I would allow Dr. Barber to do any surgery on me. At that point, I wouldnt even trust his opinion on anything at all. I got back some of my paperwork and left.I do NOT recommend this doctor or his practice to anyone.

|  Very Impressive!  |  show details
Apr 30th, 2011

I saw Dr. Barber after a very bad experience with another orthopedic surgeon, and a "messed up knee" after surgery. Dr. Barber was very caring, and answered all of my questions. He was very thorough in going over my results and gave me a good "game plan" for fixing my knee. I am very blessed to have found this wonderful surgeon to take care of me.

|  Terrific Doctor  |  show details
Sep 14th, 2010

Before surgery we were told that Dr. Barber had a poor bedside manner from some friends. This could not have been more wrong. Our son had his shoulder operated on from a football injury (torn labrum) and Dr. Barber was warm, caring, considerate and helped explain the procedure to us where we could understand the process from beginning to end and what rehab entailed. Dr. Barber called us at home to see how our son was doing after surgery and his staff called a few days later to follow-up too. As far as surgeries go, this was a very good experience and our son is recovering very well and almost ready to play again. We think that Dr. Barber is great and couldn't see anyone else performing this type of surgery. I would rate him 5-stars if the system allowed it.

Apr 26th, 2010

Dr. Barber is the best! I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs a shoulder specialist. He took care of my son and was great! His office staff is excellent and makes your visit very enjoyable and pleasant. Everyone is always nice and very helpful.

|  Very informative!  |  show details
by Brenda W. on Mar 16th, 2010

Dr. Barber and his staff took extra time to tell me about my knee and what needed to be done. I had all my questions answered and felt very comfortable with the visit.