Dr. Alan Garely MD Patient Reviews

January 5th, 2017
Skilled and insightful , topnotch care and surgery
When contemplating surgery for uterine prolapse, my gynecologist recommended that I meet with Dr. Garely for a second opinion: She views him as a “doctor’s doctor” because of his track record in repairing the botched surgeries of other doctors, particularly those involving the inappropriate use of surgical mesh. I shared the first surgeon’s recommendations with Dr. Garely, who noted that he thought the original doctor was highly capable. But he said that in my case he would opt for abdominal surgery that would take half the time of the laparoscopic/ robotic surgery.. and noted that given my own history, abdominal surgery was a better choice. I ended up using him for my surgery, which he did 3 weeks ago. In advance of the surgery Dr. Garely explained his approach in great detail. I made a follow up appointment for him to meet with me and with my husband to review our questions. He was incredibly responsive. (In addition he’s a delightful human being.) My husband and I felt very reassured and confident about the approach Dr. Garely was taking. In addition, given my own history of a previous surgery from 30 years earlier, he insisted on bringing also having a colorectal surgeon as part of the team. This “multi-disciplinary” approach is state of the art in uro-gynocology, and when I mentioned it to my gynecologist she was thrilled. Dr. Garely is deeply knowledgeable and skilled. His surgical team is solid and devoted to him. His surgical techniques were cutting edge ( so to speak) —for example, administering trans-abdominal nerve block at the end of the surgery to alleviate discomfort. I was scheduled to stay over night in the hospital and 26 hours after the surgery I walked – with ease- to the elevator, down some stairs, too, and was able to be much more mobile than I anticipated. After three weeks I am back at my desk and working with ease, although not back to yoga and swimming for 2 more weeks. Dr. Garely’s operates at Mt. Sinai in Manhattan several days a month. His main office is in Valley Stream (Long Island), but he sees patients in Manhattan once a week. His staff is excellent and couldn’t have been more helpful. His surgical team is devoted to him – I discussed this with the surgeon who came to my room the next morning to follow up. The only negative is the long wait time on the day of an appointment (at least in Manhattan, where Dr. Garely has minimal administrative support). The upside is that once he sees you, he gives you full attention and I have never felt rushed. If I had to do it over I would certainly go back to Dr. Garely.

August 24th, 2016
The best
Dr. Garley is one of the best doctors I have been to in my life. knowledgeable and friendly. he takes the time to put you at ease. he answers every question. he does not rush you. my surgery went on without a hitch. Dr. Garley is so thorough he found a small spot on my bladder. he was not working on that organ but took the time to observe the entire area. because of his observance he headed off a possible battle with cancer. I recommend this doctor and his staff 1000%. Kudos for a great job. he also works out of Valley Stream on Long Island. I also must say that South Nassau Communities Hospital was excellent. they treated me and my family with respect and took care of my every need.

August 5th, 2016
I highly recommend Dr. Garely if you need Pelvic Reconstruction Surgery. I had a cystocele and rectocele repair as well as a hysterectomy and I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I recovered. There was some discomfort in the first few days post-op but there was no pain and I recovered quickly. I had the surgery at Mt. Sinai and the care I received there was also exceptional. The entire experience was very positive.

July 11th, 2016
Don't wait any longer, make an appointment with Dr. Garely He and his entire staff and extended staff, from his nurse to the hospital pre and post op, are so kind, caring and professional. This helps make a very nerve wracking decision much easier and Dr. Garely is the best in his field. I wish I had done it years ago. YOu won't be disappointed.

July 6th, 2016
Dr. Garely was terrific in all counts!

June 15th, 2016
I was referred to Dr Garely by my primary care physician and I had no idea that I was operated by one of the best and most skilled surgeons in the business until my post op visit. Unfortunately (and this is the only negative thing I have to say about the practice) I had to wait for 2 hours at the waiting room to be seen so I got to chat with 4 of his patients. Two of them had had multiple unsuccessful surgeries before and were thrilled about the outcome and thankful to have finally been able to find the doctor who fixed their issues. I was happy too that I was able to get my fix in one shot! Zero post op pain, zero side effects from surgery and, after 6 weeks, back to my routine with no more leaks. As far as my experience at doctor's office and hospital (aside from the longest wait time) I can only say good things. Everyone involved (staff, assistants, medical team and of course, Dr Garely) was very caring and attentive throughout the entire process. Thank you for making me feel 20 years old again and I'll make sure I send my friends your way if they ever need it!

April 20th, 2016
Thank you, thank you, I am so happy with the surgery you did to prevent leakage. I feel calmer and cleaner. It was exactly what was described and I was very well taken care of. The staff was totally professional and caring. The office is well run and clean. The staff seem happy and well appreciated.I will be recommending Dr. Garely to my friends and family!

March 22nd, 2016
Great as long as it all goes well.
Initially I thought I hit the lottery with Dr. Garely. Kind & caring, but if things go wrong...then the problems start. He could never remember what treatments he tried already on me. I found that incredibly annoying! He was unable to help me after the surgery...wish I never did it! Biggest mistake of my life and the next 9 months also trying different things to help. Looking for another Dr. to see if they might be able to help me. Shame things went this way, because I do think he truly cares.
Doctor's Response

For a surgeon, nothing is worse than when a patient doesn't have an optimal outcome. Unfortunately, pelvic reconstructive surgery does not have a 100% success rate. When someone removes an appendix or a tonsil, it's out and that's that. With pelvic surgery, things have to look right and work right. Most of the time this goes well, but for many patients, a cure is not possible. I don't know this patient's case specifically because it is anonymous. I readily accept that not all of my patients have optimal outcomes. In those cases, I will do anything and everything to try to help, including referral to another doctor. Unhappy patients are not the norm in our practice. We care more than you can imagine.

December 16th, 2015
Dr. Garely is really the tops in this field. i recommend him highly. his staff is terrific too. thank you.

October 29th, 2015
Highly recommend ! Excellent surgeon

October 27th, 2015
Mrs.
Upon research for pelvic floor dysfunction, and speaking with my GYN, I needed intervention for a prolapsed bladder and rectocele. I was in pain from the bladder prolapse and having bowel issues. Dr. Garley is knowledgeable, kind, gentle and most of all the 7 surgical procedures was performed to perfection. DO NOT hesitate to have surgical procedures do to post op pain, Dr. Garley places a an ON- Q pump in the incision and the anesthesiologist provided me with pelvic nerve block. The quality of my health has improved 100%. My physical and psychological health is outstanding. I am recently retired Director of Nurses, the quality of care I received at South Nassau Community Hospital by Dr. Garely and the nursing staff was excellent. I recommend this practice to all women.

October 22nd, 2015
Thank you Dr. Garely!!!
Dr. Garely saved my life!! I had a mesh sling put in 2011 and a total hysterectomy. I had Pelvic Floor Dysfunction and my Rectocele was damaged. I was told I would require a colostomy because all the nerves were damaged from the mesh. I had no bowel movement for one month. Dr. Garely told me about a pacemaker that would go into my spine and it would send a signal to the brain to go to the bathroom. I usually have a bowel movement everyday since the pacemaker was put in. I had pain so bad in the right groin and right leg. I was going for nerve blocks every 3 weeks in my groin or inside with needles, as I have Pelvic Floor Dysfunction and the damage the mesh sling did. I was told I would have to do these shots for the rest of my life that is when I researched and found Dr. Garely. Dr. Garely did my 7th surgery, which he did a reconstruction and fixed my rectocele. I am starting to come back to life. Dr. Garely if you are reading this, You know I was the one that wouldn't stop hugging you and crying at my post op visit with my husband there. I even gave him my physical therapist number and he called her right away and I know she has referred several of her patients to him. I wish I had gone to him at the very beginning. If it wasn't for my family and the support I had from my husband, children, friends and family I don't think I would be here today to tell you this. No one know what it's like to be in constant pain unless you have lived it. I am not a cry baby I was back to work in less than a 1 1/2 from a full hysterectomy and mesh sling. I drive into New York City as the wait time for a visit is a lot shorter. The office in the City is wonderful, I have not been to his main office. His nurse in the City is a sweetheart!!! He is the best at what he does. It took my 7th surgery in less than 3 years for this wonderful man to help me!!!