Dr. Alan Goldenberg Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Alan Goldenberg?

Type 2 Diabetes

Type 2 Diabetes

Have you seen Dr. Alan Goldenberg?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

August 12th, 2016

Hashimoto's finally explained

I had a lot of symptoms that, according to what I read, sounded like Hashimoto's. My regular doctor tested my thyroid hormone levels, including TSH, T4 and T3. He told me my thyroid was normal. After much fuss, he agreed to start me on thyroid medication. A month later I still felt poorly, so he increased my dose. I started getting a heart flutter, so he sent me to see Dr. Goldenberg. Well, Dr. Goldenberg couldn't be nicer. He spent a lot of time with me. He repeated the tests, and added additional tests. On follow up, I learned a lot. As it turns out, I DO have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. But, I DO NOT have hypothyroidism. So you can get Hashimoto's disease but still have a normal functioning thyroid. The problem is that I have hair loss, fatigue, and dry skin. What I learned is that taking thyroid hormone when you have normal thyroid function not only doesn't help the symptoms, but actually can cause harm. That is what was effecting my heart. Taking thyroid hormone doesn't treat Hashimoto's, it treats hypothyroidism. Hashimoto's causes hypothyroidism but not always. I felt better off of the medication. There is no medicine for Hashimoto's. Just for hypothyroidism. Anyway, he also did a thyroid ultrasound and I have a small nodule on my thyroid that he says is from the Hashimoto's. If it gets big I might need a biopsy, but for now he wants to follow it. Thank you, Dr. Goldenberg, for finally explaining how all this works. And by the way, I also met Fred Albano on one of my follow up visits. He seems great too.

March 19th, 2016

Previous reviews confirms my bad experience, too

After waiting over a month for an appointment, my day finally came. I had laid around waiting feeling so sick so was anxious to be seen by the MD. So the day of my appointment after waiting an hour in the waiting room, I was finally met by Dr. Goldenberg. His mannerisms at first were the typical doctors' nothing horrible. But then after reading my blood work for a quick 2 seconds, his attitude changed and said, "there's nothing I can do, your blood work is fine." I said, "I know, but I just feel there is something more that needs to be tested, I just feel so sick so could we do something more extensive just to be safe?" He said again, "there's nothing more I can do." As he dismissed my tears and pain I had in my face, he walked out of the room. NOW I am not one to be dramatic, but I KNEW I was sick. I left the room feeling even worse than I had prior to coming to the doctor's office. As the employees stood back to let me pass by them, they could see I was a blubbering mess. I could barely see straight from my tears. I rushed out and sat in my car and bawled like a baby for another 15 minutes.......fast forward; All along I had been suffering from hypothyroidism that was picked up by another doctor on a regular routine blood work. After the experience with Dr. Goldenbug, I couldn't bear going to another Endo. SO I lived with the agony and thinking it was all in my head only to confirm later that it was not. If dr. Goldenburg would just learn to listen, care, and be more of a compassionate person, he wouldn't be getting all of these not so good reviews. Sometimes you have to use more of your head, think more outside out the box than to be so cold and robotic. We are humans not man made machines with the same mechanical parts, we are all made up differently. That's the difference between a Good MD, and a not so good one. Listen up more, when a patient is crying their heart out for help, take the time to see if really, the right blood test was taken. Thyroid issues are difficult to detect, he should know this and be more thorough.

March 2nd, 2016

Bad Experience

Where do I begin? Let's start with making the appointment. I called to make an appointment during normal business hours and the phone kept ringing to their answering service. The answering service said the office is open and she isn't sure why it is ringing to the answering service. I waited a while, called again and the same thing happened. I called an hour later and the receptionist said she they turned over the phones late that morning and that's why I couldn't get through. How annoying! I made an appointment as a new patient to be followed up regarding a prior thyroid problem. I advised the receptionist that I needed an ultrasound, blood work, and to see the endocrinologist. She made my appointment for a Thursday afternoon. When arriving, I provided all of my prior medical documents related to my thyroid to the front desk to copy. I paid my co-pay and filled out all of their new patient paperwork. I had to wait 45 minutes past my scheduled appointment time to be taken back to the exam room. The medical assistant who took me back looked nervous and maybe a little new. He did not make any conversation or make any effort to make me feel comfortable. It made for a rather awkward first impression. I had to wait in the exam room for an additional 30 minutes to be seen. The NP introduced himself, was polite, and went through all of my signs and symptoms. He said that they would do my blood work and ultrasound and discuss the results with the MD. The phlebotomist came in to do my blood work and said I was all set to leave. I explained to her that I was still waiting on my ultrasound. She said that the ultrasound tech does not work on Thursdays and I would have to come back. I also advised her I was still waiting to speak to the MD. The MD, Alan Goldenberg and the NP came back in the room to tell me I would have to make an appointment for the ultrasound as the tech does not work on Thursdays. I told the both of them that I was here for an ultrasound, so why would they schedule me on a day when the tech does not work? The MD said I could come back early next week, get the ultrasound, they would have my blood work results back and then we could review them together. There was nothing else to do, so I left and made the ultrasound appointment for the following Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. When arriving at 2:30 pm the following week, the receptionist asked me for another co-pay. I explained to her that I should not have to pay another specialty co-pay ($40) because of their scheduling error. I was there last Thursday for the ultrasound and the tech was not in that day. She rolled her eyes at me and said, "Whatever". The waiting area was so busy there was nowhere to sit. My husband and I were standing against the wall waiting to get the ultrasound. They didn't take me in until 3:15 - 45 minutes after my scheduled time! The ultrasound tech was very nice, personable, and made me at ease. She said she would type up the findings and share them with the MD to go over with me and asked us to return to the waiting area. When returning to the waiting area, we stood against the wall. The receptionist was talking about me and how I didn't want to pay my co-pay to her co-workers and in front of other patients. I was embarrassed. Other patients waiting could hear what she was saying, could see me waiting in the corner (where the receptionist could not see me). My husband looked at me and said, "You know they are talking about you, right?" I told him I would let her keep talking and then address it with her. She went on and on about me in words that I will not repeat. I came around the corner and asked her for her first and last name and her office manager's name. I also asked to speak to the office manager immediately. She told me the only way I could get my results was to pay my co-pay. I gave her my co-pay and decided I would deal with that later. I had to wait an additional 30 minutes to be seen again. The same medical assistant called me back and wanted to go through the whole vital signs, weight, etc. I told him I wasn't here for that ... I just need my blood and ultrasound results. He informed me that the MD was with a new patient and it may take a while. Of course I was upset because I had already been there sine 230 and it was going on 430 by now! The NP came in instead and told me that all of my results were normal and that I could follow up in a year. He did not address why I was having hypothyroid symptoms and did not offer me any more guidance. I asked to speak to the office manager and explained to him that I have never been asked to pay a co-pay to simply get results from a test. I waited for the office manager. A woman came into the exam room and explained that the office manager was not there that day but she was the assistant manager. I explained my concerns to her and she apologized for everything. She explained that this is not their usual business practice and that the office manager would be following up with me. I requested a copy of my medical records because I never wanted to go back there ever again. She said she would make sure they would be mailed to me and I completed additional paperwork for that. I still have not received my medical records. Every time I call there to check on them, I am told that the person who does medical records is not there that day. Today I was told that she was working out of the Southampton office but there is no phone number for that office and no way to reach her. I am so beyond frustrated with this practice and believe they are just there for the office visit co-pays. Please take your care and business elsewhere!

April 23rd, 2015

Went every three months for two years and never even met the doctor listed on my insurance... Dr. Goldenberg. Could not even tell you what he looked like. The PA was very nice. The wait time exceeded an hour and a half on several occasions, long waits are the norm. From the messiness and the wait time to the pit bull at the front desk and the fact that my insurance is being billed as if I were seeing Dr. Goldenberg I made the decision to stop going there. Left this practice for Dr. Abrar... So happy I did!

February 3rd, 2015

Type 1 Diabietic

After 2 years going to this practice, I've only seen Dr. Goldenberg once--for 5 minutes at my first visit. It takes weeks to get prescriptions authorized for routine supplies, and invariably they blame it on the fax machine. My blood pressure rises just dialing their number.

February 12th, 2014

annoying

The office workers up front do not call you back at all when you leave a message. I've had my biopsy cancelled twice for no reason, he literally looked at my blood work which i could read myself on the screen that clearly read abnormal, after seeing my bloodwork was abnormal he made me go home bc theres only a small chance i have cancer with abnormal bloodwork. had he looked at my blood work before i ever went into the office i would not have had to pay the 25 dollar co pay and took the day off of work for a biopsy that never happened. meanwhile i find out the growth on my thyroid is half the size of my thyroid, they do not draw blood in office, ive had to reschedule the biopsy and now i have an appointment on the 26th for them to further look over my bloodwork and write me a script and on the 27th they will be doing the biopsy. i just asked the office if i could combine the two appointments because obviously all he has to do, is look at a computer screen for literally 2 seconds and then write a script. but no he's just too busy to do that. they need to further waste my time and money and are making me come in the day before the biopsy to go over my bloodwork and write a script. I am fed up with this office, the office is dirty, the people upfront write sloppy to the point where you dont know what date your appointment is the next time you look on the card they do not keep track of wether or not they have your bloodwork they dont follow up with you. I called them 3 times to find out wether or not they recieved my bloodwork, each time it was '' we will give you a call when we recieve the bloodwork.'' my primary care doctors office called me back, goldenbergs office never called back, i had to call them to find out that they did in fact recieve my bloodwork. they are completely unhelpful and the assistants who ask you questions when you finally do sit in the doctors rooms are all pretty much unprofessional. i'm done. i am so done with this office and once this biopsy is over with, which had been dragged out for two extra months for no reason i am switching doctors and will most likely just do all the tests over anyways because obviously this office is a bad joke.

October 2nd, 2013

HORRIBLE Experience

Dr Goldberg is not educated in the endocrine area. He does not know symptoms, diseases, diagnostics or treatments for endocrine related issues. He almost cost me my eye sight due to not testing me for Graves Disease or Thyroid Eye Disease. He totally ignored my complaints. I would not put my health in his hands. Incompetent.

August 7th, 2013

A satisfied diabetic

Wow. These guys have it together. I have been to the office 4 times now. I was tested for nerve damage and kidney damage. They got my sugars under much better control. I saw a dietician, and I scheduled a visit with the podiatrist. They connect my blood sugar meter to a computer and print out graphs of my sugars. My regular doctor never did any of these things. Most importantly, they explain things. I understand why I am on the medications they prescribe, and I know what I need to do to get off of them. I learned more about diabetes in the past 6 months than I learned over the previous 8 years. And the nurse practitioner is surprisingly great.

May 3rd, 2013

Wonderful Doctor!

Dr. Goldenberg is clearly knowledgeable in all areas of endocrinology! He is a sweet and caring man who spends time with each patient. His wait times can sometimes be a little frustrating, but once he came in with me, he did not rush me. He took the time to answer each of my questions in depth and made sure I understood everything before leaving. I recommend him to anyone who needs an endocrinologist!

March 21st, 2013

For any with Hashimot's- do not waste your valuable time.

Dr Goldenberg is a really nice man that appears to care about your well being, however he refuses to use how the patient is feeling over the bloodwork results. It is really a shame. I wish he would do some research on hashimoto's so he could see the wide range of symptoms related to the disease. TSH figures do not tell the whole picture and he relies on the nurse to order bloodwork- which did not include the entire bloodwork suggested for hashimoto's. For anyone with thyroid issues, I would not recommend him at all. Each person has a hormone level that works for them, even if it is inside the normal 'range'. Wake up and get some continuing education.

November 23rd, 2011

Brilliant

Smart, kind man.

November 23rd, 2011

Quite satisfied.

This is the first doctor to explain my problem to me and what my options are. He is a good listener. I would recommend him to other people with diabetes.