Internist

1940 Commerce St
Ste 310
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
(914) 245-1111
Locations and availability (1)

3.0

• Currently 3.4901960784314 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Run Away!!! Do Not Go Here!!! Zero Stars Would Be More Appropriate!!!  |  show details
Jun 11th, 2014

This is the first review of a doctor that I have ever written in my 50 years but I feel compelled to write this to hopefully save another unsuspecting patient before they go through what I went through. I recently saw this doctor. I had gone to him because my doctor had moved and it was too far for me to go. It was my second visit in 2 weeks time. The first visit was ok but he made several inappropriate comments including making negative comments about most of the female doctors that I had been going to for different things and "fat" comments which I overlooked (and shouldn't have) because I wanted to see if he could help me. He took my history and blood and we made a plan for the second visit specifically to take additional blood and do one specific test that he thought would benefit me. I actually felt hopeful when I left there despite his bad bedside manner. This second visit was a whole different story. My appointment was first thing in the morning to take the blood and he was about 20 mins late getting into the office and was definitely in a bad mood when he came in. First thing I heard behind the door was him using the "F" word loudly to his staff who seem to walk on eggshells for fear of setting him off. When I was called into one of the exam rooms, as I followed him down the hall he was rambling on loudly using the "F" word several times to his staff and about patients. He forgot to do my some of my bloodwork from the previous visit that he told me he was doing and then he refused to do my bloodwork for the visit that I was there for, telling me "There is nothing wrong with you. You just need to lose weight!" I had made this appt based on him telling me two weeks before that I needed this test!!! I took off of work and this was a total waste of my time and he acted like he had no idea that I was supposed to take this blood test that day. As he was telling me he wasn't going to do the test, his nurse poked her head into my room to ask a question about the woman in the next room and he literally went on a crazy tirade in the hallway calling this patient fat and telling her that she needed to lose 100lbs, and announced this in front of myself and several others loudly as she sat in the other exam room. He then proceeded to go on a verbal tirade about her weight in front of everyone (HIPAA laws!!!!). I walked out after he went crazy on this woman in the next room. As I was leaving he called out to me and said "I wasn't even talking about you". As if that would matter!!! PLEASE PLEASE read these reviews before you go here. Yes he might be a good doctor as far as knowing his stuff (which I don't know from my own experience only basing that on what others on here said), but there are other good doctors out there that do not treat patients in the degrading way that he does. He is also very inappropriate with his sexual comments/jokes which he thinks are funny. He is very degrading to women. I would say he was borderline unstable the day that I was there and he went on his tirade. He was very scary and from what others have said I guess you can never tell which "doctor" you will get when you go. PLEASE STAY AWAY especially women unless you like being berated and degraded when you go to the doctor!!! And for the reviewers that have asked why hasn't anyone filed a complaint??? - This person has filed several to several agencies. Hopefully something will be done about him!!! Good Doctor or Not This Guy is A Creep!!!

|  Finally done with him  |  show details
Mar 19th, 2014

After many years I have finally found another physician. I would approach each visit with this doctor with trepidation as I didn't know what mood Dr. K. would be in. I have been cursed at, screamed at and berated one visit and treated nicely on the next. I would be a nervous wreck each time I had an appointment. Now, most recently, he has completely ignored any requests I have made via phone and after sending correspondence I am still waiting for an answer. This man needs to retire and take his bad attitude, foul mouth and snarky comments elsewhere. After visiting my new doctor I realize what a truly pleasant experience it can be. I no longer need to be afraid that I will be completely decimated by comments aimed at my decisions about everything from money, other doctors, spouse and children. I have had enough!

|  GREAT DR.!!!  |  show details
Oct 23rd, 2013

dr. kantor is a great dr. he tells you the truth and treats you like family i look foward to my appointments with him!

Oct 11th, 2013

Dr kantor is awesome and a wonderful physician.. I have been a patient for about 8 years. His demeanor is to be brutally honest with no sugar coating which is refreshing and welcomed in this era of doctors watching everything they say and do .. He spends ALOT of time with you and follows up with you when necessary. I agree with another reviewer that the tv character of "House" is a good example of how he acts, but I think it's great ! I have more respect for him as a doctor than I do for many others and I have been around doctors as a patient, as their representative, and also married to one.. He will tell you what he really thinks, even if it's not the "standard lingo" or what you want to hear .. I see no disrespect or improper behavior, just a lot of brutal honesty, a great sense of humor, and a brilliant diagnostician. It's a shame that so many reviewers don't appreciate what they have with Dr. Kantor, but rather react with these poor reviews. If you can get in to see him and if you can appreciate his sense of humor and not take offense, you will see that this man is one of the best docs around...

|  Perfect for me!  |  show details
by curly1b on Sep 24th, 2013

If you want someone to sugar coat you and hold your hand, this isn't the guy. But he is smart, straightforward (don't like being told you're fat?), and kept EVERY doctor I have informed about what was going on. He can be abrasive,humorous, and irritating and every word of it is the truth. After seeing 3 endocrinologists, I adore this man. After all, I'm paying him to help me, not be my friend. And he's dead-on.

|  FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR  |  show details
Aug 28th, 2013

There were 2 good things about my initial appt. visit. I got to see him right away & I was put on much needed medication right away. After that it was all down hill. I went for the tests he wanted me to take & I continually had to call his office to try to get the results. This office only had him there & his receptionist. His receptionist was nice but I wanted the dr to talk to me about the results. He called me once during this 3 month fiasco. He asked me to take another blood test which I promptly did. Once again I didn't hear from him so I repeatedly made calls to the office but only spoke to the receptionist. She said she gives him the messages. After 2 weeks I asked to have my records sent to me & now I have to followup with another dr. This never happened to me in all the years I've been going to drs. I have never met a more arrogant, uncaring physician. If you're thinking of seeing him think again.

|  Great  |  show details
by John S. on Jul 31st, 2013

I am happy to find this doctor. He is thorough, and was able to help me with my diabetes and other issues. Spends more time with me then any doctor ever has before. I recommend him without any reservation.

Jul 20th, 2013

He's a good doctor. Spends time. Getting an appointment is difficult, but when it's needed, he will see you. He does however, have some colorful language!

by Linda T on Jul 4th, 2013

Dr. Kantor is a brilliant diagnostician, practical, an attentive listener, willing to spend time with the patient far beyond the standard 8 minutes you usually get with an MD. Thoughtful, concerned, compassionate. I feel blessed that he has been treating our family for the past 19 years.

Jun 21st, 2013

It is extremely difficult to get an appointment YET he will not fill prescriptions if its been more than 3 months since your last visit. Having a chronic condition like diabetes it is a bit ridiculous to have to be seen every 3 months. In addition his bed side manner is POOR and when you do get to see him for an appointment its short and brief. So in summary he is unpleasant to talk with but on the bright side it is a short visit. On a positive note; his nurse practitioner is lovely to work with and was the main reason I used Dr Kantor. After my recent difficulties scheduling appointments and still being DENIED prescriptions for my INSULIN and TEST STRIPS (changed insurance company and they needed new scripts to fill). Now I am without supplies and have to wait a month before the next appointment. Being a doctor; I could not imagine treating one of my clients this way. At the very least I would provide my client with a prescription until they are able to make it to the appointment.

May 3rd, 2013

The best thing I ever did was switch. There are Drs out there with more knowledge and treat the patients with a lot more respect and no off-color comments

|  Done with this moron  |  show details
Feb 19th, 2013

Nasty, arrogant doctor. Scariest part is sitting in waiting room hearing him cursing staff or other patients out. And since you wait an hour in the office, its a horror show. why even have appointments? You never get in on time. Found out I was diabetic and instead of showing ANY sympathy, he cursed me out for allowing this to happen. I almost cried. All he cares about is calling you fat and stupid. After many years had enough and went elsewhere. Yeah he knows his stuff, but so do other nicer doctors.

|  Your call indeed  |  show details
Oct 2nd, 2012

My impression is one person who has a bone to pick is posting an awful lot of negative comments. There is a distinct similarity in wording among a number of the negatives. I have no doubt there are others with negative thoughts since he is not for everyone but obviously there are others who think positively as well. I am one of those and a patient of his for the past two years. You want help and you want to listen, go to him. It is your call as someone else said.

|  Is it me?  |  show details
Oct 2nd, 2012

...or do these reviews seem to see-saw between "great!" and "awful'"?Perhaps these reviews are the same 4 people ...?Could that be?My 2 : he's a good doctor. Better than most in westchester. ("top-doctor" many years running with good reason) Egocentric & blunt. Yes, he will listen, and if you do, you will feel better. -- it's your call.

|  go to another physician  |  show details
Aug 31st, 2012

while I am not saying Dr kantor is not smart, he has a problem with mutual respect which everyone should demand and expect. Dr kantor fails to understand this. There are many highly educated physcians who will treat you with respect. I am looking elsewhere, and will not return to his office under any circumstances.

|  A day with the doctor!!  |  show details
Aug 7th, 2012

I work hard.. I give every pt my time and repect.. I treat everyone the same.. Everything that we tell the pts comes from the Dr. So its NOT me!! The dr. is very smart but I think he is tried of working.

|  a fan  |  show details
Aug 6th, 2012

Changed my life. All I wanted was good care and to feel better. I got it! I have never been offended by a single thing he said. He has been respectful and funny in my experience. I don't care a bit about foul language. Big deal. He can be blunt, but his basic point is usually right. I am feeling so much better than before it is ridiculous. I see him twice a year, almost no waits, he spends 45 minutes to an hour with me. Who else does that?

|  repulsive  |  show details
Jul 14th, 2012

I have known him for many years. Believe me people he is only good if it interests him. He is uncaring and insensative at best PLease do not believe his staff is the problem it is all him Today he made my 86 year old mother cry. Something to be proud of.

|  Dr Kantor is a Great Doctor  |  show details
Jul 11th, 2012

I have been going to Dr Kantor since 1983 he a brilliant doctor and a caring one at that. If he would retire I think I would die. I have never seen a doctor spend as much time with a patient as he does, so what would that tell you? Money or truly concerned. Dr's today give you the bums rush so that they can see as many patients as they can. Not interested in anything but money. Short Dr. Kantor is the Best!!!!

|  Think he is great  |  show details
Apr 24th, 2012

I find him quite empathetic for he listens to me, very closely as a matter of fact, and then makes a thoughtful medical recommendation not some knee jerk one I have gotten far more attention and thought out of him than all the other endocrinologists combined that I saw before him. I can't say enough good about his treatment and I feel incredibly better. If you don't want to do what he says, including change your lifestyle if need be, I suggest going elsewhere because he will not hold back. But if you listen to him and follow up as instructed, you will enjoy the results.

|  I've Finally Had It  |  show details
Apr 21st, 2012

Dr. Kantor is a jerk. For years I have been putting up with his holier than thou attitude and I have finally dumped him after being treated like a piece of crap for the last time. Ok, I'm not saying that he is not a good physician. He is, but he is also extremely arrogant and depending on his mood, will determine how you get treated. He prances around the office yelling obscenities, and insulting patients that call in for help. My last two visits were a nightmare and I was insulted to the point that I have finally just had it. He has diagnosed me, and kept me well for the most part but at what price? He's just not worth it. There are very talented physicians out there and there is no reason to deal with this idiot. None. For those of you that think he is funny, I used to as well, but he will eventually do something that upsets you as well. Everyone walks on egg shells around this so called medical man. It's a shame compassion is not one of his traits. So long Kantor!

|  i disagree with the negative!  |  show details
Mar 22nd, 2012

Dr. Kantor is very blunt. With that said, he is also very knowledgeable, and frankly I find his wit funny! I don't care that he has a foul mouth, or that he makes a scene most days. He reminds me of 'House' on TV. A bit kooky yes, but isn't that who you want when you need a doctor?? I sure do! I would also like to add, why do you think it takes SO long to get an appointment ? (psst...it's because he is BUSY!) If you are like some of the other shrinking violets that posted here... don't go, continue to suffer, and waste your time elsewhere. (Maybe that will mean the rest of us will get appointments sooner!) There is a reason this man is still in practice after 30 years, it's because he is one of the BEST!

|  Think He is Great  |  show details
Feb 25th, 2012

A wonderful help to me, very attentive, very knowledgable, and very interested in helping me feel better. Other endocrinologists seemed mostly interested in treating (or at least billing) diabetics. I have a different condition and had the hardest time getting proper treatment, until I found Dr. Kantor. I know he has a foul mouth and he certainly is not main stream, but that does not bother me. He has helped me tremendously and I continue to improve with each passing month. The wait time is very little, each visit is over almost an hour, and he listens carefully throughout. I strongly disagree with the negative postings here.

|  Loved the Nurse Practicioner, did not care for the Doctor  |  show details
Feb 23rd, 2012

I saw the Nurse Practitcioner who was absolutely wonderful. I am so glad the doctor was not available to see me the day I wanted to go in and if there's any time I cannot see the N.P. I will not go. She spent 1.5 hours with me, explained things to me, she was just wonderful. Dr. Kantor "stopped by" and one of the first things out of his mouth was, besides asking my weight and age,"Why don't you get the sugery?" (as in lap band surgery) I was really shocked that that was one of the first things out of his mouth. Not even that, but he was so flippant about it, like "oh, just have the surgery and all your problems will be solved". In fact I think he *did* say that. I don't mind a doctor bringing it up, I mean it is an option for Type 2 diabetics, but to say it like "just do this and it will solve everything" just really left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care that it's laproscopic, it's still surgery and a big deal to even consider it and to make it sound like it's no big deal really isn't very professional in my opinion. I think if I had to see him I'd ask to only see the N.P. and if that is a problem well I'd just have to go back to the drawing board because there's no way after reading all this and experiencing what I experienced, that I'd ever want to deal with the doctor again.

|  NUTS and PERVERTED  |  show details
Feb 9th, 2012

THIS GUY FELT UP MY LEG AND ARM AND THEN SAID "WELL I GUESS YOUR NOT HYPERACTIVE!!!" HOW INSANE AND WOULD HIT ON ME DURING MY VISIT. HE SCREWED UP MY MEDICATION AND MADE ME FEEL WORSE! JUST A PIG AND THE MOUTH ON THIS MAN. ALL HE DID FOR ME WAS SCREW UP MY MEDICATION AND MAKE ME FEEL LIKE CRAP! WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!

|  I am somewhat mystified by the comments  |  show details
Dec 23rd, 2011

I cannot dispute some of the behavior of Dr. Kantor as reported here (foul language and some issues on follow up but I think that is the office staff), but I have always, always, found him to be attentive, knowledgeable, and caring. And I hardly think he is after the money as he routinely spends an hour with me on my visits when all other thyroid doctors would spend at best 10 minutes. I have seen this doctor for five years and he turned my life around starting in the first six months as he changed my thyroid medication. I had seen five different thyroid doctors in the prior six years and all of them turned deaf ears to my complaints about not feeling well even though my blood tests were in the "normal" range. Dr. Kantor simply listened to what I was saying and believed me that I my system was off kilter still despite the "normal" TSH. He knew there had to be to the picture than just TSH results and he was absolutely right. Again, it was a total turnaround and, for me, the proof is in the pudding.

|  Government Agency for complaints  |  show details
Dec 13th, 2011

After reviewing the complaints here, no one has thought of OPMC which is a government agency that investigates complaints against the behavir of doctorsand the like. Take the time to contact them, that's what they are there for otherwise nothing will change.

Nov 28th, 2011

This doctor appears to be coming to the end of his time as a "top doctor" in his field. His behavior fluctuates incredibility, and its a crap shoot what kind of mood he will be in on the day of your appointment. As time goes on, I am finding this to be more and more ridiculous. There are younger, smarter, better looking, SANE doctors right up the street who are very willing to take your copay, & competently treat you like the human being you are. After years with Doctor Kantor, I've decided to use someone else, You should call them instead as well.

|  Unprofessional/inappropriate behavior - contact your insurance carrier  |  show details
Sep 20th, 2011

I thought I might be the only one who had an unprofessional experience with this alleged Dr. As thecommnents continue to be posted - why hasn't someone contacted their insurance carrier and the New York State Licensing Bd. How unfortunate that when you leave and find another Dr. the insurance carrier will NOT pay for the legitimateoffice visit but instead pays this idiot. Then the patient is put in the position of having a claim denied for the doctor that truly treats you. Inappropriate behavior, sexual remarks, It is obvious his only intent is to "milk" the insurance companies for initial consultation visits and collect not only the co-pay but $335.00 which is truly doesn't deserved. CONTACT YOUR CARRIER AND THE MANAGER OF THE GROUP -WESTCHESTER MEDICAL and let them know about this person - who doesn't know or care about patients or how to behave professionally. I was one of his "victims"

|  go somewhere else...  |  show details
Aug 19th, 2011

Dr.K treats men and women the same....with total disrespect.I am now with a new MD and am in shock at how nice I am treated by staff and Doctor! It is so relaxing and my questions are ans. and this Dr really cares about my wellbeing! I now realize how stressful it was having Dr Kantor as my MD! There are MANY great Doctors out there, no need to stay with this idiot...

|  Outrageous behavior  |  show details
Aug 15th, 2011

Inappropriate remarks to patient first time visit. Unable to get blood work results without driving to office. Observed Dr.K total disinterest in patient while they waited for copies of blood work. Collected oiver $300.00 from Insurance Company and did nothing for patient. Patient had to go to another physician. Very disrepectful of female patient - made inappropriate remark which cannot be placed on this post because of the content. Dont go here.

Jul 19th, 2011

Very thorough in initial visit but very poor in followup care/treatment. Terrible in scheduling for an appointment.

Jul 6th, 2011

I have no problem with eccentrics or swearing but Dr K ego has gotten in the way of his practice. If you think it is ok to have your Dr take personal calls when you are in mid sentence, and he chats about the opera with a friend for 10 minutes while you wait, If you think it is Ok for your Dr to refuse to send your test results to other Dr you are working with. If you think it is ok to have the staff say they will do something and not have them do it and if say you didn't even call, than he is your man. I am sure he is smart and even good company at a party but come on Dr K wake up, no professional should treat his pateints like this. I suspect Dr K treats women like this more than men because we women often fall for this kind of behavior and only catch on later that we have been treated with total disrespect . I know it is difficult to find a endro Dr but wait for someone who will show you respect so a real dialogue can happen.

|  dr=great! staff= :(  |  show details
May 30th, 2011

I find it difficult to dispute most of these reviews; they are all pretty spot-on. I feel it necessary to add though, that his staff is repugnant; making errors, blaming others, and offering no apologies for them. Coupled with this, another irritating fact about this office is: after your appointment,& the dr takes your blood, or runs tests, the staff calls you in a day or so to tell you the results, and the next course of action /treatment...etc. IF there are questions, it turns into a game of phone tag with the STAFF; who clearly have *ZERO* idea about anything medical, or outside of scheduling, billing, or co-pays. At the very least, have someone who can actually answer questions about what THEY called you about. This IS a dr.s office right? My hope is that someone from the office/westchester health actually reads this... maybe something will change.

Apr 28th, 2011

Dr. Kantor is losing his mind. Find another Doctor.

|  No Filter  |  show details
Sep 9th, 2010

Like the rest of the opinions and reviews stated here, Dr. Kantor is all of the things mentioned. And then some.He is quirky, loud, egocentric, brutally honest, a good listener, "R" rated with his verbiage, an amazing diagnostician, and ok... brilliant too. When you first call, the staff bristles at any questions. I figure they are either miserable working there, or they think they can get away with the same behavior as the Dr. (they can not)Regardless, they have that 'deer-in-the-headlight' look when you arrive, appearing beaten and annoyed most days.As you wait for your appointment, most other patients have "Kantor Stories". How the Dr. either told a patient she was "fat!" Or how he announced their weight to the *entire* office, or how he made another patient cry, or how he curses. And often, there's a story about how a patient will only see the N.P. because he is "brutal!" IF you can get through all this crap - and Dr Kantor's pomp and circumstance, you will find a man who (i think )cares.Even though it seems the opposite! You will hear him waay before you see him.. (and YES! he does glide across the office). "why are you here?" "whats new?" He holds no pretense that HE is THE DOCTOR. And that you are there to hear what He has to say. Not the other way around, once you've given him 'your story'. And I believe that the reason Dr. Kantor is so egocentric, is because he is usually correct in his opinions and diagnosis'. Which I suppose gives him a little latitude to behave the way he does. I, myself, really like and admire his approach. He has the courage and chutzpah I desire in a physician. So, deep breath, go in with eyes wide open, and a preparedness that you would not need with most other Drs. And rest assured, you're in the most capable hands in the business!

|  LET'S GET IT OVER WITH!  |  show details
by RJ on Sep 3rd, 2010

Those are the words you will most likely hear when he treats you.Dr. Kantor is one of the most interesting characters you will ever meet. You might see (will certainly hear) him prancing across the office yelling about something, and his language is not exactly "G" rated but there is something about him that I really like. Not only is he an amazing physician, but he will not rush you and really cares. He enjoys a challenge. I might even go so far to say he is brilliant but I would not want to swell his head any further. Most importantly, he is a true healer and if you could get past his bedside manner, you will be treated by the best there is.

|  The Art(ist) of Medicine  |  show details
Mar 4th, 2010

Quirky yes, but driven to find answers - so there is no one better. Inuitive, a good listener, and a terrific analyst who can also explain in cogent terms anything you may want to know or, what you should know. He is really the very best there is.

|  Quite a character  |  show details
Feb 27th, 2010

Dr. Kantor may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's one in a million. Underneath his often shocking exterior, is a brilliant, caring doctor who truly fights for the best for his patients. I'm sure some people are turned off my his "unique" persona, but for those of us who see through it, he is truly a lifesaver. I, for one, actually enjoy the banter and look forward to my office visits! How many people can say that?

|  shock doc  |  show details
Dec 8th, 2009

amazingly great diagnostician whose knowledge appears limitless. follows up without reminding or prompting. ease of appointments is difficult, however, makes himself available when it matters.bottom line: worth the wait. office staff could use a bit of work though.

|  Top notch  |  show details
Nov 18th, 2009

Wonderful, smart, honest and a true healer who takes time to understand and makes sure that he gets it right and explains it to you.