Internist, Neurologist (brain, nervous system)
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

Some ratings provided by Practice Fusion.
 |  Horrible excuse for a human being  |  show details
by Traumatized on Feb 27th, 2014

Worst doctor visit experience I have ever had in my life. It has been more than 10 years since I had the unfortunate experience of being seen by Dr. Levinstone and it still haunts me. To say he is a patronizing, arrogant a$$ would be an understatement. I had heard he didn't believe in ADD, so I was curious to see if he could come up with an alternate diagnosis for my issues and help me overcome them, but I never got the chance to explain that to him since he just saw the word ADD and immediately started belittling and berating me. He had no interest in anything I had to say, he had made up his mind about me before he even met me. Made me cry and blamed it on my anxiety problems. I was a young college student, I trusted doctors and I had never had a doctor treat me that way in my life. I am happy to say that no doctor has treated me anywhere near that badly since. It was an excruciating and traumatizing experience for me. My neighbors had recommended him and told me he was "a little weird". No, he's just mean. I've always been upset that I let him treat me that way and never got a chance to tell him off, so Dr Levinstone, if you ever read this, I really, really, really hate you!

|  He's no neurologist . . .  |  show details
by Amy k. on Dec 27th, 2013

No, I would not choose him again. I developed a neurological disorder and Dr. Levinstone told me it was psychological. My sister has since developed the same syndrome. Levinstone chastised me for not being able to sit still when he tried to examine me. Long story short, I was accepted into Johns Hopkins movement disorder center, but decided to try one last doctor before making the long trip to Baltimore. I've been seeing Dr. S. Fishman for years and he is excellent.

|  Excellent research and follow-ups  |  show details
Dec 18th, 2013

Very thorough with excellent research on tricky problems and follow ups even on weekends and late nights with personal phone calls at home. Some challenge his bedside manner -- I have never had an issue and find him very caring about his patients. He can be direct, no-nonsense, and he does not believe in a myriad of unnecessary tests or doctors visits - which I appreciate. He has always been spot on with diagnosis for my friends and family. Nurse practitioners are all excellent and I believe the office manager is the best in the business. Highly recommend if you are not looking for a social hour.

|  knowledgable, cautious, careful, great referrals  |  show details
by Lloyd on Oct 30th, 2013

Our family has been seeing Dr. Levinstone for 19 years. On any number of occasions he has been spot on handling a family health problem. This included, pneumonia, a kidney stone that supposedly had been zapped, bronchitis, etc. What has been perhaps the most helpful service he has performed is that he is quick to refer us to the appropriate highly skilled specialist: orthopedists, nephrologists, gastroenterologist, urologist.

|  not sure if I can recommend  |  show details
by grace on Sep 13th, 2013

With Dr Levinston you never know who you're going to get. He can be very personable and focused or distracted and indifferent. I suppose it just depends on his mood. He was always like that. Which is fine because he was a good doctor, but now.. especially lately, he seems like he rather be anywhere else than at work. I don't pick a doctor for his personality but I want my doctor at least to pretend to be interested in my medical condition. As for his staff.. He has the WORST office staff I have ever had the misfortune of coming across. They are all nasty and incompetent. . Even if just calling for an appointment you'll get a nasty attitude or tone from one of those women. Most of the nurses are very good and extremely professional. I have been going to Dr Levinstone for a very long time, and think he is a good doctor and a good man, but his heart doesn't seem to be in it ..and the staff is so unpleasant , it's just not worth the grief ... so I would not recommend him.

|  Excellent Doctor and Staff  |  show details
by Tom on Sep 10th, 2013

I moved to Virginia over 12 years ago and knew nobody here. I chose Clifton Centreville Medical Associates and Dr. Levinstone at random and have been with them every since. You will primarily see a dedicated (to you) Nurse Practitioner (there are about 10 in the office) who will call in the doctor any time they want him to check you, or to double check their diagnosis. If you want to see Dr. Levinstone instead of a Nurse Practitioner, it will be more difficult to get an appointment because there are only so many hours in a day. I have never had to wait more than a week, two at the most. I don't understand the reviewers who say he loses interest in you, because my health issues are not anything I would categorize as interesting and he responds to me positively every time I see him. The thing I most appreciate about this staff is Preventative Medicine is their priority. I will continue to see Dr. Levinstone.

|  Really knows his stuff  |  show details
Aug 15th, 2013

Dr. Levinstone knows his medicine and he knows his patients. My whole family goes to him and we love him.

by Grace on Apr 20th, 2013

He is one of very few doctors who follow up with you and calls to check up on you. He really wants to help you unlike many doctors I have worked with. Sometimes its difficult to find the source of your symptoms, but he will keep working with you. He doesn't seem to give up like many doctors that don't care if they can't figure out the source of the problem.

|  Time to Leave  |  show details
Apr 1st, 2013

I second the negative reviews for this doctor for the benefit of new patients. For one thing he is almost never there and you get to see the Nurse Practitioners all the time. When you insist to see him, you have to wait several weeks, then he still does not show up at the appointment. Once you become an "old patient" he is not interested in you. He does not call you back. I was told by the nurses: the doctor says he does not know what's wrong with you. Getting an appointment or getting your medication refilled require a lot of patience. The office staff can be nasty at times. Please find another doctor.

|  If he loses interest in you, then forget about it!  |  show details
Jul 10th, 2011

Dr. L. initially was interested and sought to find a diagnosis for my problem. When he ruled out a seizure disorder, then I was just a pain to him. My last visit he was very condescending and treated me horribly, I left his office feeling his scorn. He didn't even look me in the eye or listen to me. He sent me away with anxiety meds which were un-necessary. Needless to say, I have switched practices and will try to find a dr. that believes in me.

Aug 25th, 2010

Said I had MS even though Brain MRI was CLEAR. Saw several dr's afterwards and they all said I did NOT in any way have MS. he did not and would not treat the pain I was in. Turns out I had severe OA the entire time and bone spurs in my spine. He may be very good at following up but he has no bedside manner at all and if you are looking for someone caring, he is not the Dr. for you.

|  Excellent Physician  |  show details
by Paul on Mar 18th, 2010

I use Dr. Levinstone for my aviation medical. He's thorough, detailed and a lot of fun. As a result of heart disease in my family, he suggested that I consider a cardiac CT, which I had performed at Fairfax Radiology, with excellent results. I highly recommend him.

|  Sorely Lacking ...  |  show details
Jan 17th, 2010

Initially I was impressed with how thorough the testing was that Dr. Levinstone ordered. I respected him and I felt I was in good hands. When the results came back the conversation became flip. When I tried asking questions to explain my brain abnormalities or for relief to pain I was experiencing, I was repeatedly silenced as if I were a pestering child. He had no patience for me at all. What a condescending a$$. Repeated attempts to find him on a "better day" found only another layer of self absorbed indifference. God help those whose lives literally depend on this man. I realize now my MRI results would have warranted the same tests and any decent neurologist would have done the same. The best would have done much more. Specifically, cared enough to have their patient walk away knowing they'd been cared for and treated by a professional.

Aug 23rd, 2009

Outstanding follow-up with calls off-hours. No nonsense approach - does not prescribe unnecessary tests. Genuine concern for health and wellbeing and performs individual research as required. Works very well with other providers.

|  Don't use Levinstone  |  show details
Jan 28th, 2009

To say that Dr. Levinstone lacks bedside manner is an understatement. He is pompous and uncaring. He delivers bad health news like he is reading the newspaper. He does little to listen to a patient or work through problems. He is inflexible in his treatment options. I do not recommend him in the least.

|  Caring practice  |  show details
Jun 23rd, 2008

My husband and I have been going to Dr. Levinstone's practice for about 3 years and we feel like family each time we are there. Having seen both doctors (Richardson and Levinstone) and almost all of the NP's, we have never felt rushed and we have always felt that they all genuinly care. Dr. Levinstone is persistant when working with other specialists and has a comforting bedside manner. We love this practice!