Dr. Alex Steinleitner MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

March 2nd, 2016
Patient of 3 years
Dr. Steinleitner and his staff are wonderful. He truly cares about his patients. He is great at explaining what is going on and making sure to answer all of your questions. I do not have enough nice things to say about his staff in San Luis Obispo. They know you by name and are always there for whatever your need and are great at responding via their online instant message system.

January 18th, 2016
Great Dr.
Great Dr. Been going to him for 9 months now. I'm about to do my Egg Retrieval. Great staff at answering the phones & helping me out.

January 12th, 2016
pleasantly surprised
Dr. Steinleitner pleasantly surprised me. My husband and I had been trying to get pregnant on our own for 3-4 years before we saw Dr. Steinleitner. I had heard negative things about him, and went in with low expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. Not only was he able to successfully help us get pregnant with an amazing little boy (now 8 weeks) but I felt that he cared about me. I am very reason oriented and Dr. S took time to "talk it out" with me. I ask a lot of "why" questions and he answered all of them for me. What couples don't always take into consideration is that even though this might be their first time dealing with infertility; it's not his. He has been doing this work for a really long time and he knows what he's doing; you have to trust that. If you are seeking this type of help you have to go in with the respect for Dr. S and that he is working for you. Dr. S is a problem solver. Every person's body is unique and it may take a few tries, but he wants to figure our what works for you. He truly cares for each of his patients and wants them to have success in creating the family they've been dreaming of.

October 13th, 2015
horrible staff
Worse doctor and staff run fast!!!!! The staff seems very uneducated they answer your question with inaccurate statements then if they don't no they will give you the run around and brush you off to the doctor. They didn't no my name and was very pushes like they just wanted your money and to ask no questions. I found another office and I'm glad I did

June 14th, 2015
He gave me 2 beautiful girls and couldn't be more thankful

May 6th, 2015
Don't even think about questioning him. Terrible staff too.

May 30th, 2014
Great! until they get your money
Things are great with them, until they get your money. In the beginning, things were wonderful. Staff was pleasant and nice to deal with. They actually smiled and acted like they were there to help you, every step of the way. Dr. S was funny, helpful and pleasant and then BAM! things changed. All of a sudden once we wrote the huge check to them, they all became rude and acted irritated that you were even in their office. Dr. S has the bedside manner of a badger. His staff is completely disorganized. They lose paperwork, emails, phone calls, lab orders, prescriptions, can't remember who you are when you walk in for appts. even tho you've been there numerous times before. The main girl at the front desk never smiles and acts put out that she has to actually help you. They are evasive, as well. Debbie, his assistant, talks in circles and can be condescending. She's never to be found, when you need her and if something goes wrong and it's her fault, she blames it on you or the staff. I've never felt so unsure or anxiety ridden, going into a doctors office before, as I do this place. They DO NOT make you feel welcome, at all.. You would think that a doctor and his staff, dealing with such a sensitive subject as infertility, would have just an ounce of compassion and understanding, right? But they don't. They don't care, it's all about the money to them. Just because he's the only fertility doc in this area, don't bother! go elsewhere, like L.A Much better doctors down there who actually want to help you and they aren't all in it for the money.

January 11th, 2014
Most horrible experience of my life
It has taken me awhile to write this review because it brought me so much anxiety to even think about it and then after my son was born, of course life got a bit busy. My husband and I decided after one round of trying with my own eggs through IVF that we had a much greater chance of having a child through using donor eggs. We had already gone through a round of IVF and although did not have a successful pregnancy our experience with our doctor in San Francisco was wonderful. About that time, my father became very ill with cancer and we needed to stay closer to home while we were trying to get pregnant and my father was very excited over the idea of being a grandpa, so we pushed on. In researching other reviews of Dr. Steinleitner, the majority were negative with a couple of positive ones. The overwhelming responses had to do with Dr. Steinleitner not having the most pleasant bedside manner. However, he was believed to be a good doctor and had a good success rate, so I thought I could deal with a poor bedside manner and look past that. My experience with Dr. Steinleitner went far beyond experiencing a poor bedside manner and for the first time in my life (in dealing with anyone ever) I developed panic attacks whenever I knew I needed to speak to him or see him. It took a great deal of effort to prepare myself to interact with him. You might ask, why did I continue going to him? Well, the strong reaction I had took some time to develop although I never felt totally comfortable with him. We had paid for a package deal and could not afford to leave him, so feeling stuck did not help any. Coming to the decision to use donor eggs was not an easy one and took some time for us to embrace. We found a donor who met our needs with Dr. Steinleitner pretty early on and mostly due to surprise that we found someone so quickly and still needed some time to digest it all, we took two weeks to decide. Once we made the decision, I was excited to be moving forward and I called Dr. Steinleitner’s office to let them know we were ready to move forward with the donor they sent us. The next day Dr. Steinleitner called back to inform us that unfortunately the donor had made a commitment to another couple on the East coast and we could either wait for her to be available again in a few months or we could choose another donor. We chose to wait. Dr. Steinleitner then proceeded to berate me for taking the two weeks to decide in the first place. He insinuated that it was my fault for waiting and now we could not move forward. This conversation was not at all helpful. I simply said that I believe things happen for a reason and this was not a decision we could make lightly and two weeks is not unreasonable to wait to make a decision. After a couple of months, we got the news that the donor was going to be unable to move forward with us and we needed to choose a new donor. Happily, we were even more excited about the second donor presented to us and decided to move forward. Dr. Steinleitner began her testing a discovered that she had polycystic ovarian syndrome. I had not ever heard of PCOS before as it was not a condition I had. Dr. Steinleitner assured me that it would have no impact on the quality of her eggs and that the only concern would be in over stimulating her, but that he knew what to do and could assure me this was not a major concern for him. We agreed to move forward. I started doing some research about PCOS and spoke to some other fertility doctors and all of them said that they would not except a donor into their program with that condition and did not advise moving forward. I called Dr. Steinleitner to ask more questions. Again, I was berated and told that I needed to decide what I wanted to do, because it was not fair to the donor if we were not going to move forward. His voice was stern and I felt horrible. After the phone call, I thought not fair to the donor? What about what is fair to us? However, I trusted Dr.Steinleitner’s expertise and we also felt under the gun because of my father’s illness and we decided to move forward. The donor did slightly better than I did in producing eggs. We did not get pregnant with the fresh transfer and had one frozen embryo left to try with. Dr. Steinleitner met with us and discussed doing a mock round to test the lining of my uterus for the proper thickness and for any autoimmune disorder that might prevent me from getting pregnant. He did find that I had an autoimmune disorder that needed to be treated with intralipid infusions. Also, he said that my lining was not getting as thick as he would like and prescribed a medication for that, too. So, we moved forward with preparing me for a frozen embryo transfer. When I went into his office after taking the prescribed medications to have my lining checked to make sure it was getting thick enough, he told me that it had still only achieved 7 mm and we were hoping for at least 9 mm. I asked if we could cancel the transfer since it was a frozen embryo and try again. Dr. Steinleitner explained to me that even though I had not achieved a thicker lining he was still more pleased with this than the last time with the fresh transfer because I had a triple line this time. He had never informed me of that before. You mean to tell me that we wasted a fresh embryo that was better quality? I started to cry and said that I would feel better if we waited and tried again. Dr. Steinleitner told me he would talk to me about it in his office. So, I got dressed and met him in his office. I explained to him that I would like to proceed knowing that we did everything we could to make sure that this was successful and I didn’t want to second guess that my lining was the reason. Dr. Steinleitner got so angry with me that he threw his eye glasses and a pen across the table at me and very angrily told me that I needed to trust him. I was now sobbing and said that this had nothing to do with trust. He was adamant that we proceed. I did so against my better judgment and again did not get pregnant. Soon after this, my niece came forward and said she wanted to donate eggs for me. We were overjoyed. While we were waiting for her to get her testing done, I contacted another fertility doctor and consulted with him. This doctor told me that I could possibly get pregnant with only a 7 mm lining, but would not be able to sustain a pregnancy. He suggested we do a mock round with him and see if we could even achieve a 9 mm lining. This other doctor used all the same medications that Dr. Steinleitner was using, but at a slightly higher dose. Low and behold, my lining made it to 9 mm. Now, I was faced with what to do with this information. I was frightened that if I told Dr. Steinleitner he would be angry and would refuse to treat me and we would not be able to afford to go anywhere else because we already spent our money with him for a package deal. Ultimately, I decided to move forward with taking the higher dosage and just not tell Dr. Steineitner. Never before have I been faced with feeling that I could not be honest with my doctor. I am happy to say that it worked and we are very happy with a beautiful baby boy. Whether or not we needed to take such extreme measures is beside the point. Dr. Steinleitner was incredibly unprofessional. He treated me differently after he blew up at me and was even more cold and indifferent. There are more instances I can site that were just as horrible as him throwing things at me and screaming at me, but this is already getting to be a very long review. I would not recommend this doctor to my worst enemy. He has no business treating women who already are dealing with such a difficult time in their life. It is a shame he is the only infertility doctor in our area, but it is worth it to travel whatever distance you have to travel rather than use Dr. Steineitner.

January 7th, 2014
Blessed with a beautiful baby girl
It makes me sad reading all of the negative reviews on here, so I thought I'd put in my two cents. Yes, Dr. S is to the point, and blunt, but he is also CARING, COMPASSIONATE, and GOOD AT WHAT HE DOES. We had some bumps in the road with our IVF process, and I'll tell you what, I'd rather not have my doctor sugar coat things that are happening. At the end of our first complete IVF with ICSI cycle (we had to start our cycle over after our first set of medications as my body decided that it needed a stronger regimen of hormones) we became pregnant with my now 11 week old little girl. The only thing I ever had to complain about was the efficiency of his front office staff. We had some miscommunications along the way, and a few times where we had to constantly remind them to mail things/make phone calls, but every single interaction with Dr. S and his nursing staff was fantastic.

February 28th, 2013
Disappointed!!!!
Went to visit Dr. Steinleitner and at first he was GREAT! Very prompt to return calls/e-mails. However, after one month of pills (had done them previously) and one month of shots. He said (via his receptionist) it was time to do IVF I asked for some more explanation and said I wanted to make sure there was no other option first. I was surprised that the Dr. did not call me with the news that the shots had not worked so we could discuss our options. He has NEVER returned my calls or e-mails. I have called a few times and e-mailed him several times. Every time I call he is not in and my e-mails just go unanswered! I had such high hopes working with him in the beginning. Now I have not spoken to the Dr. in 4 months and he does not seem to be interested in helping me since I did not write him a $10,000+ check as soon as he said do IVF.

September 25th, 2012
The office staff are very helpful they don't seem very happy to be working there. Doctor is quick,to the point and you have a question that is not on his agenda he just shine off your question.

January 11th, 2012
Blessed with children 6 1/2 years ago
I received a call from a friend asking who my fertility Dr was so I got on line to get Dr S's info for her and was very disappointed to see women speaking badly of him. Dr S may not be Mr Personality but he didn't pick "Late Night Host" as a profession either. Of course he is quirky, he is a fertility Dr. He is a genius. Genius' are always alittle off the wall. Dr S blessed me with a son and a set of twin girls 2 years later when every other Dr told me I would never bare children. He prayed before the IVF transfer, he was never late, always available when I called his PERSONAL CELLPHONE which he gives to his patients, and thru every surgical procedure I had, he always held my hand and said a quick prayer. He is a special man that God put on this earth with a purpose. If you want bedside manner, go to a five star hotel and have them turn down your sheets. If you want a man to turn your life upside down with the sound of tiny feet running your halls, go see Dr S. He has a gift.