Dr. Alexander Portney Is this you?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

June 8th, 2016

He's the best doctor and it's too bad he's not on my insurance provider list.

March 11th, 2015

Dr. Portney is an excellent, compassionate doctor, one of the best doctors I've ever used

February 15th, 2013

I came to doctor Portney for a consultation on possible Botox treatment. I told him right from the start about my previous experience: Another doctor had injected me with Botox 2 years ago with no effect, and that doctor gave me 3 followup shots (a total of 4 injections in one month), all with no effect! Dr. Portney listened to my story, then quickly left the room to see another patient without asking me any questions about my experience with the other doctor. As soon as he was gone, his assistant came into the room and asked for my credit card. Dr. Portney then returned and gave me a Botox shot. He still didn't ask any questions about my experience with the prior doctor, and he gave no explanation for his proposed course of treatment. The shot had no effect. I retuned to him 10 days later to explain the lack of effect. He offered to administer another shot . . . for additional charge! I explained to him that the prior doctor had not charged for the followup shots after the initial failed procedure. Portney immediately became annoyed and started to pepper me with questions about the procedure from 2 years ago: How many units had the other doctor used in the injection, etc. . . . ? Interesting that Portney only took an interest in my past treatment at this late point, not earlier! Had he thought to ask these basic questions on the first visit --a natural thing to do in light of the treatment history I related to him-- or had he given me some explanation of his planned course of treatment, we could have avoided a bad experience. Instead, he rushed forward with little apparent concern about whether his procedure would work for me, and was prepared to keep charging me for followup shots after his first effort failed to have any effect (something the first doctor didn't do). I don't know if Portney planned all along to make me pay for multiple shots, or if he simply wasn't listening during my initial consultation. Either way, it was a dismal experience for me, and it left me with a low personal opinion of Dr. Portney's business and professional practices.

July 6th, 2016