Orthopaedic Surgeon, Physiatrist, Surgeon

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Jul 25th, 2016

whole experience was fantastic

Extremely Gifted Spinal Surgeon, just so thankful for him! show details Extremely Gifted Spinal Surgeon, just so thankful for him!
by Lisa on Jul 11th, 2016

I was in debilitating pain for many years struggling & just pushing forward, but in 2016 I hit a wall, I was not able to enjoy daily activities/exercise anymore and I was a very active person with a lot of energy, but something was stopping me. I was told by my Rheumatologist to see a back doctor, thank God I listened. I kept thinking these are all the side effects of Lyme Disease I had 15 years ago. So she ordered me an MRI and I took it with me to the back specialist. Anyway, I started with the Rothman with Dr, Gerhert , he instantly told me I needed Cervical Fusion Surgery, I was shocked, because all I was hearing was surgeries and fusions for other areas. I decided to try an epidural, so I went with Dr. Stoltzenberg with the Rothman in Limerick. I was waiting for the epidural, you are put to sleep to have it administered & he told me I could opt out; if I was lucky it would last a month, maybe not even. I felt like a new person the 2nd week and then it was over. I went back to see Dr. Stolzenberg and he told me the seriousness of my condition, he said no activity/no PT, he said we gotta get you better & referred me to a surgeon. I had a consult with Dr. Kurd, he told me within 4 months I need to have a cervical fusion done (I felt I had limited time, my body was failing me). He told me I would end up in a wheel chair and then a paraplegic if I did not go through with this. He was correct. So I started researching for the best out there & chose to get another consult with Dr. Vaccaro with the Rothman. As soon as I met him, I knew he is the Surgeon for me. I had no spinal fluid flowing & went through with the C3-C7 cerival fusion surgery. He had to go through the front of my neck & then back, I have a plate, screws and cadaver parts, he decompressed my spine. I am 2 months post op and the extreme pain has lifted from my body. You can hardly see my neck scar. I have longer wavy hair, not only is he a highly skilled, gifted surgeon, he gave me a great undercut of my full head of hair. I cannot say enough great things about Dr. Vaccaro, he is a warm, caring man whom takes such perfection in his work, he is stealth, so smooth, I did not even realize he was marking the spots while speaking to me before being taken to the operating room. According to Mila his assistant and all his assistants, this was a big surgery I had. I feel very blessed to have had him operate on me. From the anesthesiologist & to all that assisted, assured me I was in the best hands, not to worry. If they needed this done, he would be the one they would use. I just love him, he gave my life back. I still have months of recovery left, just listen to what he tells you. I was not allowed to do a thing until I had the surgery, no PT nothing. I am only allowed to walk and ride a stationary bike for now, and lift light weights I shall see if I can do more next visit, but any bit of movement is a great feeling. Time to get in shape! I am just so thankful for Dr. Vaccaro, he is the TOP SPINAL SURGEON in Pennsylvania!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!! I am truly blessed and he also so blessed with gifted hands. Thank you so much Dr. Vaccaro!!! God Bless You Always!

A Doctor with golden hands show details A Doctor with golden hands
by Barbara Feldgus on Jun 21st, 2016

Dr. Vacarro has given me back my freedom to live my life any way I want. My back surgery was complicated and the recovery was long , but, it was worth any pain I had afterwards. I am free of any pain and feel better than I have in a longtime. He is my god. I would tell all my friends that need back surgery to go to Dr. Vaccaro.

Immediate relief from c6 nerve pain show details Immediate relief from c6 nerve pain
by Ed Wade on Jun 12th, 2016

After dealing with significant pain for 40 days, I experienced immediate relief following cervical disc surgery performed by Dr. Vaccaro. He and his staff were terrific.

Expertise in Spinal Surgery show details Expertise in Spinal Surgery
by Donna B. on May 16th, 2016

I am now six months post spinal revision surgery performed by Dr. Vaccaro. I sought a second opinion on the advice of a colleague. My recovery was nothing short of miraculous. I had a previous spinal fusion which unfortunately failed; Dr. Vaccaro was the expert who prevented the outcome from being permanent spinal cord damage. The entire staff beginning with Ryan at the call center, Nadine at the appointment desk, Mila his physician assistant, the techs and other medical and administrative staff were all kind, compassionate and caring - just as Dr. Vaccaro is. Most importantly, Dr. Vaccaro is one of the top spinal neurosurgeons in the world which is no small achievement; it speaks to his dedication and sxpertise. We are fortunate to have such a fine surgeon in our area!

by John O'Hagan on Mar 27th, 2016

Best surgeon in the United States for spinal surgery

One of best doctors in the world! show details One of best doctors in the world!
by Artem on Mar 15th, 2016

One of best doctors in the world. Dr. Vaccaro saved my life! He performed spinal fusion surgery on me and did an amazing job. I also have thank all his staff for all the support particularly Ludmila Furman who is always professional and gives me excellent advice.

A Big Thumbs Up! show details A Big Thumbs Up!
by Kim C on Feb 13th, 2016

He was highly recommended to me and he did not disappoint! Dr. Vaccaro, in addition to being extremely personable, he was straight forward and assuring. I saw positive results immediately after he performed my lumbar decompression. He and his team took great care of me.

Wanted to pick this doctor but... show details Wanted to pick this doctor but...
Dec 17th, 2015

I consulted 3 orthopedists and 3 neurosurgeons regarding my spine. Five out of 6 recommended a 3 level fusion as did Dr. Vaccaro. He was very pleasant and explained everything fully. The PA he had that day was very robotic though and gave the same answer to all my questions such as it may or may not happen or "I can't answer that." The concern I had though was Dr. Vaccaro's reaction to my pain medicine. When he found out I was on 2 mg of an opiod narcotic only at night to help me sleep, he looked concerned and sent me to consult for pain management to slowly get me off and find an alternative. He doesn't prescribe any pain medicine himself. Which I found very concerning in a surgeon. If I were to have the surgery he felt I would go through withdrawal type pain. I was very shocked as I barely felt the effects of the drug when I took it at night to sleep. I'd also like to add, I barely even drink alcohol and I've never smoked so I'm the farthest from an addict. I told him I didn't need help getting off the drug, I could just stop tonight. But he insisted I see the pain management doctor right away within Rothman. Well, the pain management doctor was confused too. He felt the 2 mg wasn't much and I had only been on it at night for 2 weeks, not an amount you get addicted to. I was quite frustrated that I had to take an hour drive in extreme pain. Most doctors warned me that even a small fall could paralyze me, so a bumpy ride in horrible pain was the last thing I wanted to do. In reading other reviews about other surgeons at Rothman, I have read the same experience. Which saddens me, as I need help again with a surgeon and I'm afraid I won't get proper pain medicine if I were to chose a Rothman surgeon. I feel Dr. Vaccaro is an excellent surgeon but, because of this experience and the cold PA who would be seeing me the most, I feared not getting adequate pain management for my open spine surgery, so I did not feel comfortable with Rothman.

by Michael J. Walsh on Nov 17th, 2015

Doctor Vaccaro, is The best doctor in the USA in my opinion, you could not find a better surgeon anywhere in the USA. He performed my back surgery , and repaired my spine.

Our prayers were answered show details Our prayers were answered
by Living in Rosemont on Oct 31st, 2015

Dr. Vaccaro is a marvelous, highly skilled orthopedic spine surgeon. My wife, suffering from relapse of her 1st scoliosis surgery, was in tremendous pain and taking the maximum dose of morphine with virtually no relief. Dr. Christian Fras, our primary spine surgeon (also an excellent, caring physician), recommended Dr. Vaccaro because of the type of spinal relapse afflicting my wife. We were hoping that Dr. Vaccaro would assist Dr. Fras in the 2nd surgery, but it required Dr. Vaccaro to get special permission to partake in said surgery at Lankenau Hospital where Dr. Fras was to perform the surgery. At the last moment, and with my wife in ever-increasing agonizing pain, Dr. Fras was able to get my wife set up for her surgery at Jefferson. Also participating in my wife's surgery at Jefferson, was Dr. Ashwini D. Sharan, an excellent neurosurgeon, and oft surgical partner to Dr. Vaccaro. Needless to say, these highly talented surgeon's virtually saved my wife's life. We will forever be grateful for the excellent care and treatment my wife received at Jefferson as well as by Dr. Fras and his staff.

by John Topper on Oct 13th, 2015

I cannot speak highly enough about my experience with Dr. Vaccaro. He was beyond helpful in my consultation, confident in his diagnosis and my surgery went much better than I had even hoped for. Every single staff member that I dealt with was friendly and helpful during my consultations and on the day of my surgery, and I was amazed at how smoothly the surgery itself went. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Six weeks ago I could barely walk, and now I have almost no restrictions on my day to day activities.

Oct 3rd, 2015

Did not have a follow up visit

by Lorie on Oct 3rd, 2015

My situation was probably a little different than most. When I arrived at the facility, I was in extreme pain. I was unable to sit, stand or walk more than 15-20 feet. The staff was amazing. I was brought into an exam room where I was able to lie down and be comfortable. Dr. Vaccaro was exceptionally professional and clearly explained what was happening with my spine, as well as the treatment options. Surgery was to be scheduled that same day. While waiting for a bed to become available at Jefferson, the staff made sure I was able to lie down in an exam room that was not being utilized. The procedure went very well and I was up and walking later that evening. It was truly unbelievable that I went from having debilitating pain to being able to walk within a only few hours. My family and I cannot thank Dr. Vaccaro and his staff enough for helping me.

patientre show details patientre
by Jennifer a. Swain on Sep 24th, 2015

Dr. Vaccaro and staff were very professional and courteous. Dr. Vaccaro was very down to earth and kind. He took the time to explain all he needed to fix. He has made me a person who couldn't walk for more than 15 minutes and now I walk for miles!

Sep 23rd, 2015

My experience with Dr. Vaccaro was life changing. He made new whole again!!

Dr. Vaccaro - The Rolls Royce of Orthepedic Surgeon for Cervical Spine Fusion show details Dr. Vaccaro - The Rolls Royce of Orthepedic Surgeon for Cervical Spine Fusion
by Evie Clemins on Sep 23rd, 2015

From the moment I met Dr. Vaccaro and his assistant Mila Furman, I knew I was in GREAT hands at the Rothman Institute (I found out I not only had a herniated disc, I also had arthritis in my cervical spine that was compromising my legs). I had to have the BEST specialist in this field and Dr. Vaccaro was and is that doctor. Dr. Vaccaro went into great detail, walking me through my MRI films and discussing having cervical spine fusion surgery. I know I made the right decision not only with just picking the Rothman Institute, but to be blessed enough to have Dr. Alexander Vaccaro as "my" surgeon who performed it. Thank You Dr. Vaccaro and Mila Furman for being "You!"

by V. Richards on Sep 19th, 2015

Two years ago I was diagnosed with a herniated disk which resulted in debilitating leg pain. Dr. Vaccaro scheduled spinal surgery after his review of my condition. However, he suggested I pursue aggressive Physical Therapy first to see if that would clear up the problem. I am most grateful to Dr. Vaccaro for allowing me to pursue a non-surgical course of action. It worked and I am most appreciative of his conservative approach.

by Rick Spagnoli on Sep 3rd, 2015

I was greatly impressed that Dr. Vaccaro clearly explained what my problem was and was extremely confident that he would correct my back problem

Genuine concern for patients show details Genuine concern for patients
Sep 3rd, 2015

Dr.Vaccaro displayed a real concern for me and my condition. He really expressed genuine interest in wanting to help me. He was so happy and proud after the operation when he showed me the x-rays that displayed the amount of spinal correction that he was able to accomplish.

patient show details patient
Sep 2nd, 2015

Dr. Vaccaro was knowledgeable, skilled, professional and inspired confidence. He gave me my life back. Excellence in medical care as well as surgery and he took time with me and my husband to answer any and all questions we had prior to surgery. Post surgery care was also stellar. Thank you and God bless you, Dr. Vaccaro !

Aug 23rd, 2015

Top notch and great food at the hospital he owns, which is where he performs surgery, I had cervical spine decompression and fusion of the c6 and c7

by Robert Meier on Jul 21st, 2015

performed spinal fusion on me and gave me my life back. A friend recommended me and it was very sound advise. I highly recommend this gentleman and Rothman

My experience show details My experience
by Brenda Wawrzyniak on Jul 14th, 2015

I'm so appreciative that, due to Dr. Vaccaro's skill and knowledge, my life was given back to me. I haven't had a regret since my surgery was performed. Before, I was relegated to a life on the couch, only getting around after taking a mild pain med. Not much of a life. I'm now doing everything.....swimming, biking and enjoying life with all my family. Was I scared, you bet I was, but it was the best decision of my life.

Former Phila. Police Sergeant show details Former Phila. Police Sergeant
by Michael J. Simon on Jul 13th, 2015

Dr. Vaccaro was like a person I knew all my life. He made me feel like I knew him for years. He was very down to earth and listened to the problems I was having in my back while looking at the MRI's of both the neck and my back and explained to me I had problems both with my back and my neck but the most serious problem was with my neck, which I had to take care of sooner than my back. The funny part is I was going to have minor knee surgery and he said you will cancel the knee surgery and you will do the neck surgery ASAP! The knee surgery was going to be done by a Rothman doctor, Dr. Pepe, which I had done later, by him, but right now we're talking about Dr. Vaccaro who completed an unbelievable surgery on my neck, which consisted of going in through the front, putting a plate and then going in the back, putting in another plate, 18 screws, a bunch of other things, which only he can describe, and here I am today, with great motion in my neck. He is an outstanding, caring doctor, who is just a regular person if you met him. You would want him to be a part of your family. I could go on and on and talk about him, he cared so much about me, even when he wasn't in the hospital he had his staff constantly checking on my condition to a point where I was asking them why don't you get a bed in my room and they said any operation done by Dr. Vaccaro, if he's not in the building he insures that we check the patient and constantly contact him on the progress of the patient. He himself, when in the hospital, you will see him, he does not act that he's better than anybody else, and that's what I like about him. I am just a regular person, I don't have wealth and he treated me like a real great person, like I was a Duke or a King and here he is one of the Greatest Surgeons treating me that way. It is unbelievable and while visiting him so many time in his office that's the way he treats everyone. The key to his operations is you must, and I'm going to repeat this again, YOU MUST FOLLOW HIS DIRECTIONS TO GETTING BETTER!

Dr. Vaccaro is an excellent surgeon. show details Dr. Vaccaro is an excellent surgeon.
by Sharon P Lewis on Jun 19th, 2015

I was in so much pain and no quality of life. Thanks to Dr. Vaccaro got my life back and I am pain free, thankful, and happy.

by Elizabeth Merlino on Jun 9th, 2015

Dr. Vaccaro is an excellent doctor who I would definitely recommend to anyone suffering with back pain. Not only was he a wonderful surgeon, who helped cure excruciating back pain I suffered with, but his staff was very helpful, knowledgeable, professional and provided wonderful care, along with Dr. Vaccaro.

Horrible Bedside Manner!! show details Horrible Bedside Manner!!
by MIA Patient on Nov 6th, 2013

I drove over an hour for a lumbar consultation at Rothman in Center City because of their reputation.Although I had an appointment, I waited 3 hours to see Dr. Vaccaro. When he finally came into the room, he sat down, looked at my MRI & began to dictate the notes his Resident took. When he finished, he stood up & asked me 1 question about my pain. Then he told me not to come back until I have a discogram. As he was exiting the room, my husband stopped him to say we had some questions. His answers was short, rushed & he made an insulting assumption about my medical providers. The time he spent with me was literally less than 5 minutes. My husband & I felt that this visit was a waste of time & I bet he will charge my insurance $500. I have worked in a hospital for 30 years & his bedside manner sucks! He may be a good surgeon, but he will never be a great surgeon due to his attitude & lack of compassion. When I left his office, I felt empty & sad. I will not be returning. The only nice thing I can say is that the check-in clerks were nice & the Resident.

Run!... show details Run!...
by TomS on Aug 7th, 2013

I promise that Alex will spend less than 90 seconds with you before he starts recording his doctor's notes. Student doctors and interns handle his interviews at office visits; he is in & out in less than 5 minutes. My surgery didn't work and he pushed me off to a colleague, who quickly dropped me as a patient saying there was no more he could do. (I was operated on again 15 months later in DE and am doing fine now.) Contacting Alex after hours was impossible. He left me in some serious pain for nearly a year. If you do go to him, remember my comments and run when you recognize that your treatment was as mine...

Spent 3 minutes with me show details Spent 3 minutes with me
by Harold on May 25th, 2013

I come from a family of doctors, so I am quite sympathetic to them and understand not only how tough their job is but also how valuable their time is. But this was different. Fastest visit I've ever had with any dr. And that's not a good thing. I've never experienced anyhing like this ever. He didn't want to know about my symptoms/condition and wasn't interested in letting me ask questions, which is kind of necessary when deciding whether or not to have major surgery. He was 2 hrs late for my 9 am appt, and used my appointment to get back on schedule. I'm not exaggerating when I say he came in, talked quickly at me (not to me) for 30 seconds, then whipped out his dictaphone and began wrapping up the visit. I said I had some questions, which he answered as quickly as possible. When we walked out of the room not even 4 minutes later, my family and I looked at each other and said, "What just happened?" I still can't make heads or tails of it. A 2 hr wait for a 3 minute visit. Absolutely crazy. His complete disinterest in talking to or listening to his patient was rude and bordered on offensive. It was unreal

Mark as Helpful  | 11 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Saved my back show details Saved my back
by Alix on Feb 15th, 2013

Dr. Vaccaro is absolutely amazing. I broke my back in a terrible car accident when I 16 years old. Dr. Vaccaro was attentive, polite, and made my entire family feel comfortable about the impending critical surgery. During each of my follow-up visits, Dr. Vaccaro took the time to answer the numerous questions that I asked. I followed all of his advice, which allowed me to compete in ice hockey at a D1 level in college. It has been 12 years since the surgery and my back is better than ever. Without his expertize, my athletic career may have been bleak.

Top Notch Spinal Surgeon! show details Top Notch Spinal Surgeon!
Nov 14th, 2012

I was very pleased with the results of my spinal surgery done by Dr. Vaccaro! He is an extremely knowledgeable and gifted surgeon and one of the best surgeons I have ever known! Thanks to Dr. Vaccaro, I am now able to walk without a walker or cane!

Dr. Vaccaro (and team) - A Godsend show details Dr. Vaccaro (and team) - A Godsend
Dec 3rd, 2010

My wife, following her 1st surgery for severe scoliosis, had an unexpected relapse with the bottom of her spine slowly collapsing and crushing her sciatic nerve in the process. We received a recommendation and great support from our 1st surgeon to consider Dr. Alex Vaccaro and his orthopedic spine team at Jefferson for a 2nd surgery (as the Jefferson University Hospital and facilities is very well known for it's capability to handle the kind of complicated spine surgery my wife required). Further, Dr. Vacarro is considered to be one of the finest and most experienced spine surgeons in the US. The surgical and post surgical skill and care that Dr. Vaccaro and his wonderful team provided my wife was absolutely excellent. I would also like to point out that Dr. Vaccaro's operating partner and key team member, Dr. Ashwini Sharan (a senior neuro-surgeon at Jefferson), also played a very key role in my wife's successful spine operation. My wife is now, after almost 6 months since her operation, doing better than she had been for the last 3 to 4 years, and she is still getting better day-by-day. We both are forever greatful to Dr. Vaccaro (and Dr. Sharan, the rest of the spine team and the great folks in Jefferson's Neuro ICU) for providing my wife with such wonderful care and support, and for helping to give both of us a 'new lease on life', if you will.

Oct 26th, 2010

I had a bad accident with a couple surgeries and then was told my spine was too shattered and was going to get worse, I saw dr. vaccaro and dr ponnapan in Atl city, nj and both doctors were right on with the diagnosis, Dr. vaccaro was excellent and his physician assistant Natalie, he is the only spine surgeon I will ever trust. I talk about him frequently and tell everyone he is my hero,because of him I am not in a wheelchair. I thank him and god everyday.

Kenneth Carroll show details Kenneth Carroll
Jul 27th, 2010

Dr. Vaccaro is amazing . He performed a very long and involved spinal surgery and fusion on me 3 years ago . Had he not operated , I would be in a wheel chair for the remainder of my life . I am 65 years old and can now ambulate by myself without a cane or assistance . He is by far the best physician I have ever met .

by Frank Wigmore on Apr 2nd, 2010

Dr Vaccaro convinced me to do the "right surgery"not the easier and half measure that I was opting for and now 3 months after the surgery,I am ready to get back on my bike.Three months earlier I could barely get out of bed and was in constant pain.I listened and and followed his protocol and his was right on.I am glad I went to see Dr Vaccaro for a second opinion,I trusted him and he didn't let me down.

by A. Sawyer on Mar 10th, 2010

I have put off my surgery for many years, but Dr Vaccaro is the best at what he does. If you looking for someone that cares and takes his time along with his staff you need to take the time to meet with him. He knows what he is doing and I am so very happy with my surgery and that I had it done.

sally Tobin-Hadley show details sally Tobin-Hadley
by Tom and Sally Hadley on Jan 26th, 2010

everyone at Rothman and Jefferson were outstanding

Excellent Diagnosis Skills show details Excellent Diagnosis Skills
Jan 27th, 2009

Dr Vacarro is very courteous and quick to make a diagnosis. He will not suggest surgery unless it is absolutely necessary.HE is very adept and intelligent.