Dr. Alfred Hanmer MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

June 19th, 2017
Very Satisfied with my outcome
I had THR of my left hip by Doctor Hanmer 9 months ago. I'm 65 years old and lead a very active outdoor life. The pain in my hip was becoming steadily worse and I was forced to cut back on my hiking activities to walks on rail trails. I knew I needed to get THR - it was just a matter of how soon I could schedule it. I opted to give Hanmer a try based on recommendations from a similarly active acquaintance who liked anterior approach a close associate of Hanmer's used on him and which Hanmer proposed to employ with my case. The doctor is not particularly warm and fuzzy and he did seem somewhat anxious to end our session. My first meeting was with his associate who at time was no longer performing this procedure and recommended Hanmer. 6 months later I hiked up Mount Washington and could not be more pleased with results. Of course much credit goes to NWH joint center for excellent post-surgery care and my physical therapist who was very helpful and not to mention my diligence in performing my post surgery PT. Pain immediately after surgery was never very bad. Hard to say what is most responsible for this - could be the anterior approach and surgical technique or could be good work of the post surgical recovery team.

February 18th, 2015
Dr, Hanmer shows care and concern, has been thorough, answers all questions, takes in feedback I give him, offers practical suggestions. I have seen him for five years for degenerative osteoarthritis knees.

April 24th, 2014
Professional courteous staff. Pleasant, calm, clean office. Dr. Alfred Hanmer is personable, extremely positive and confident. He is very clear on his diagnosis and care plan. On both visits he asked multiple times if I had any other questions and doesn't seem at all rushed.

July 2nd, 2011
Dr. Hanmer was patient and explained everything to me. He found "severe" arthritis in my hips. I expected only to be chastised for my weight, but he was kind and explained the arthritis was a likely cause of weight gain, not the result of it. I have not yet experienced enough discomfort to schedule surgery but I feel comfortable returning to him with questions and eventual surgery. The only bad experience was one very abrupt (to the point of rudeness) office staff person, but it was only the one person.

June 2nd, 2011
Shoulder surgery
Dr. Hanmer was extremely consultative offering multiple options for my A/C (shoulder) separation. Ultimately he conducted a full surgery, great results and follow-up, he was extremely personalized and remembered my background very precisely in every conversation.

March 21st, 2009
Great Surgeon
Dr. Hanmer repaired my knee and both of my husband's shoulders. He is terrific!

November 11th, 2008
Left shoulder and bilateral knee replacements done by Dr Hanmer. I am delighted with the results

October 10th, 2016