Dr. Alfred Newman Jr MD Patient Reviews

• Urology Montgomery, AL

3.6

May 2nd, 2017
Stopped Seeing After He Stood Me Up for Appointment
I was referred to Dr. Newman (by my neurologist) because of a problem I was having with my implant. Was told he had implanted thousands of me. He was helpful on my first visit and my wait was not very long. I found him to be patient and helpful, and I scheduled a second appointment at a satellite office at 8 a.m. I was there, along with 5-6 other people. At 9:30 a.m., the receptionist announced that he had called and said he would be unable to make the appointment. If we wanted to return the next Friday, he would be there. That did it for me; I decided to stick with my other urologist in Montgomery.

April 26th, 2017
Quiet soft spoken
Was diagnosed with a 8mm kidney stone at my local ER. Saw Dr. Newman for treatment. My appointment was for 8 am Monday morning. I was seen promptly. Ureteroscopy with lithotripsy was scheduled for that thursday. Procedure went well minimal damage, stent placed and went home the same day. On Tuesday of the following week my stent was removed in office, taking less than 10 seconds for removal. Minor discomfort otherwise not bad at all. Have follow ups for June and then a 6 month. He is funny and very knowledgeable. Quiet, soft spoken. I will definetly make appointments with him as needed.

August 9th, 2016
Hit or Miss at times
I have been his patient for 10+ yrs now. Yes, he can be extremely grumpy at times (definitely has no problem with his profanity when mad about something, but hey, I'm a military vet and have heard and seen it all) though never directed at me personally. Example: when told him my dr said my prostate seemed swollen after a colonoscopy results-he flew off the handle at other dr's diagnosis results, etc., comparing them to used car salesmen. Has always sat down and talked to me, asking how doing, would I like some coffee, and general chit chat, etc. He did start dozing off sitting in exam room one time after being several hrs late due to surgeries, followups, etc across the street at Jackson Hospital. His office staff used to be the worst when it comes to friendly to patients-has become much better last 3 or 4 appointments as new staff come and go (I go once a year). Have thought at times about finding another urologist nearer to me (over an hr to hr and a half MINIMUM drive from my house), but the ones near me have a terrible reputation/knowledge, etc. My wife is an RN and has also dealt with the other dr's near us. Until he flat goes berserk on me for no reason, or retires etc, I will continue to make the drive for now.

February 12th, 2016
Won't see him again
Wait time couldn't be determined. Appointment was at 10:45 and at noon we left with 10 patients still ahead of us. What would be that be ... about 8 hours of waiting time? Turns out that at 10:45, he was seeing the 8:30 AM appointment! Waited 4 weeks to see him on a referral. He may be a terrific physician but he's a terrible practice manager. Appointments are at 15 minute intervals and the staff keep them full. One appointment runs over and it's all downhill from there. If he'd see 20 minute appointments he'd be better off. When you walk in the door, there's a sign that reads, "If you don't get seen today, we'll try to squeeze you in at noon tomorrow." What kind of nonsense is that!

November 25th, 2015
Pretty good if you don't mind a wait and a couple of interruptions.
3:15 appointment, went back to secondary waiting room after urinalysis about 4, they took me back to the patient room about 4:30. At 5:10, I came out of the room and Dr Newman was just finishing up with another patient. When I finally got to see him, I thought he was good. He discussed my issue, told me my options, and explained future procedures. For me it's important a Dr. listen to my questions/concerns an answer me in a language I can understand (not a bunch of Dr-speak). He did all that. He also answered two phone calls during my visit! I did not appreciate that at all. I walked out of the office just prior to 6:00...nearly 2 hours and I spent about 20 mins with Dr. Newman.

November 10th, 2015
Great Doctor
I read some of the reviews and don't know which doctor they have been seeing. I get the feeling some people like to be pampered and that's not Dr. Newman's style. Dr. Newman is probably the best urologist I have ever used. I've been seeing him for about seven years. I've never been a doctor fan with him being the exception. I go in, he examines me and answers my questions. He tells me what he is doing and why. He is without question the most laid back doctor I have ever been to. Dr. Newman is a credit to his profession. I recommend him without hesitation.

September 2nd, 2015
Horrible Experience
Went to Hospital ER with urological emergency and hemorrhaging. Inexcusable delay in responding. Was rude and insulting to patient in distress and disrespectful to family members. Worst physician ever encountered. Handled patient roughly and attempted to remove catheter without deflating he bulb retaining it in the bladder--causing pain. Made derogatory remarks about other physicians. Otherwise, I think he has the capability to take care of urological problems, but appears to be so erratic in his care and respect for patients. I would never be attended by him if there were anyone else available. Avoid if at all possible.

January 1st, 2015
Mr.
I was referred elsewhere by my primary physician, but the urologist I was referred to couldn't see me for 45 days. I just started making calls. I called Dr. Newman' s office on Monday afternoon. I was booked for an appointment two days later---31 Dec. Awesome! His staff was great, he was great. He spent 20 - 30 minutes with me and answered my questions. Gave clear and thorough explanation about what was going on with me and even took an interest to get to know things about me. I haven't had a time for him to follow-up yet so left it blank.

May 2nd, 2014
Retired AC repair technician
Dr. Newman is a very compassionate doctor, because of this he will sit talk and console with a patient who may have prostate cancer and he may run overtime sometimes causing his other patients to have to wait but when it comes your time he is just as time-consuming with you as he was the person before. You will not find a more compassionate and caring doctor so bring a book and just be patient and wait.He is doing the best that he can. The only fault I have found in him is that he cares.

April 15th, 2014
He got mad that I had questions and told the nurse to get me out of there.
I am not even upset about the 2 1/2 hour wait time at each of my visits. I am upset because the first time he was obviously tired, rambled a lot of nonsensical gibberish and then gave me quick, vague answers that left me even more confused. My undiagnosed testicular pain has been very great, and I still don't have any answers. On the 2nd visit, he interrupted me every time I asked a question. When I kept asking the question he told me that I was a "combative patient." I finally clearly told him that I he is not hearing me and has not answered my question. He looked down at the chart and said three times to himself, "it's late, it's late, it's late." Then he angrily told me I only get "one more question." In disbelief I repeated "I only get one question? It's been two months of being shuffled around between doctors and I am only allowed to ask one question?" He said that was it. I asked and he began telling me more vague nonsensical answers and stood up and opened the door while he was talking, then called to a nurse to hurry up and check me out. I am still in great pain and I am confused and scared. I knew I wasn't really being a "combative patient" or argumentative with him at all, but he really got in my head and made me feel like I had done something wrong. I was glad to see all these other poor reviews that describe exactly what I went through. PLEASE do not go see this doctor. I know there aren't a lot of urologists in Montgomery to choose from, but we can't allow this man to practice his impatient, dismissive style of patient care on people who are scared, confused, and just looking for explanations. And several reviews also mentioned his filthy lab coat. I agree. He is a frumpy, disheveled mess and his lab coat looks like it has gone unwashed for a very long time. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but he does have to touch people's genitals.

April 7th, 2014
Scheduling backup
Seems to me all urologist are about the same ,only seven in Montgomery Alabama .scheduling is always overbook,and wait time is long and boring.

January 27th, 2014
This doctor is a joke! I've gone to see him twice and won't be seeing him again! The first time I waited 3 hours before I actually saw the doctor. He spoke very quickly and when I asked questions about why the wait was rediculous he spouted off so quickly an almost REHEARSED explanation because its so common! He over books and only spends 5 minutes with me talking so fast that I couldn't understand what he said and I couldn't get a word in edgewise before he was running out the door.(not to mention I brought my baby with me and was very inconvienced). The second visit was no different with waiting times, however this time the nurse put me on a table, put numbing solution in my bladder..and told me Dr. Newman would be back to put a scope in my bladder in 20 min. Well...1hr 1/2 LATER he finally came in wearing the same dirty lab coat and thought nothing of the wait time or the fact that I no longer was numb!!! So he left, the nurse re numbed me and I had to wait another 30 min before he came back in! Very rude quick explanation and was gone to other patients afterwards. I highly DO NOT RECOMMENDED this doctor! Extremely unprofessional and way overbooked