Dermatologist (skin)
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Saved my life  |  show details
by Pathaline Campbell on Nov 14th, 2014

Dr. Fernandez literally saved my life. I am an African American woman, and it is not uncommon for African Americans to develop black moles with age. At the age of 40, I developed a Black Round Mole on my Left Foot. In fact, a physician months prior examined the mole and concluded "the borders were round" and not to worry. A few months later, I went to see my dermatologist Dr. Fernandez who asked with a smile "Why are you here today"? I noted a couple of reasons including the mole I wanted him to look at. As he moved to examine my foot, before he even touched me to lift it, he's smile quickly left. I heard him gasped with urgency, with a look of shock in his eyes. He looks at it and simply stated, "I don't like this mole. With your permission, may I do an excision to have it tested for melanoma. I can not let you go and and live with myself. As I am sure this is most likely melanoma. I don't want to risk this, it could be fatal." There were fear waves sent all throughout my body but, I comforted myself, and replied:" I'm black. The odds of this being cancer is slim to none; right? and besides, it's pretty round." Dr. Fernandez literally began to sweat restating, "Please, please, I can shave it or cut (about an inch I think he said; I can't remember) to go deeper in the tissue and have it examined. Again, this can be fatal, I can not have this on me. You are young and you have an autistic daughter who needs you. I know this cancer is rare in blacks but, something tells me this is cancer Pathaline." He then moves over to his melanoma chart and begins educating with images how this cancer progresses. He concludes "I can't see you leave out that door and have peace." I could not believe what I was hearing and how deadly he said this cancer was. I knew he had a long line of patients waiting, I didn't want to hold anyone up but, for peace of mind, I elected to have it shaved. I was confident, it wasn't cancer. On the 14th day of waiting for my results, I received a call from the office to come in. Sure enough, what he suspected was factual now, as I'd learn, it was melanoma, Clark level 3! He immediately referred me for extensive surgery to clean the location site. Now 3.5 years later, I am still hear praise the lord. I am so thankful Dr. Fernandez did not allow me to leave his office without educating me on the importance of doing that excision. This mole was round... and not noticeably raised but, Dr. Fernandez's heart said "I don't like it." I am literally in tears typing this because, I know he was God sent. Dr. Fernandez saved my life!

|  MOHs facial surgery  |  show details
Oct 31st, 2014

I had a terrific experience with Dr and his staff.Rashonda is amazing nurse,she held my hand when I got my shot!. I read these reviews ,and I thought do these people NOT understand the MOHs surgery? Yes,it was a really long time in the waiting room. The Dr explained that He was reading the slides after he took the cancer out. So I was pretty prepared. And my scar is so small no one can see it! That's what I was looking for in a surgeon.

|  show details
Apr 10th, 2013

Waited 5 hours for a proceedure and was refurred to a plactic surgian to complete his work, as he was unable to complete it without a disfiguring scar. My advice as a nurse, shop around for a more informative office. These people are in it for volume, He does not have a heart for his patients, very arogent.

|  show details
Feb 25th, 2013

If you schedule an appointment with Dr. Fernandez, plan on sitting anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes, in the waiting room, prior to being seen. The doctor schedules so many patients, at one time, that it is impossible to be cared for on a timely basis. My experience is based on numerous visits.

|  Assembly line!  |  show details
Oct 12th, 2012

I felt like I was on the assembly line. Dr. spent less than 5 min. with me. I left the office not given a chance to cover all my skin problem issues. Clearly, doctor Fernandez was in a hurry.