Surgical Specialist, Neurological Surgeon
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

|  after surgery  |  show details
Oct 19th, 2014

had a fusion of L4-S1 in Nov of 2012. The day I came in to discuss the type of surgery I will need to have, we went over what Dr. Chahlavi recommended. I was not sure what type I wanted so I asked if I could go home and do some research. And he got a frustrated with me and said I could sign consents the day I came in for my surgery. So I said ok. I came in for procedure and during the surgery he told my family my nerve conduction was going down and immediately after surgery I had drop foot on the left food and some numbness and numbness on my right calve and right foot. Immediately I was rushed to CatScan to see if a screw or any of the hardware was on the nerve. There was nothing there. So I was in the hospital 2 additional days, came home with same problems, had in house PT until January the went to Out patient PT for additional 6 mths. I was on walker for 6 mths and out of work for 5 mths. Over time my drop foot got better but the numbness did not. On every visit I would tell him that the numbness is still there, he would say "If it is the same next time we will get an MRI, or nerve conduction test." And on my visits he would ask me questions like "Why do you walk the way you do?" (have a serious limp after surgery, so I don't know why because I was not like this before surgery) or "didn't you walk like that before surgery" (answer is NO), "why are you still on a walker" "why are you still in PT" (when he is the one who has to sign off for additional PT) , it was like he did not remember me, which I would think he would considering we were told that he only had one other patient with similar problems and the most asked "Why did you not get an MRI" (because you never ordered one) so needless to say for my 1 yr f/u appt I am still numb so I ask him about it and he tells me "I can send you to have a nerve conduction test done but there is nothing I or they can do for you (still numb and still walking with a limp) as I am leaving the office he has the audacity to say "call me with your progress." And not to mention on my appt he was viewing his text message.. ( let that slide because I thought maybe it was an emergency) So as I left the office I was so upset thinking that I am stuck like this, I literally can not run, and I am very limited on what I can do. So, I thought about it and found another neurologist he ordered the nerve conduction test and MRI and when he got the results he sent me back to neurosurgeon. That neurosurgeon in turn did a myloscan and found that there was a blockage of the nerve root of L4 and L5 that causes numbness of the right foot. I had another surgery but it is still the same. I know that back surgery is not an exact science and I do know that it is complicated and not precise. My biggest complaint about Dr. Chahlavi (which came highly recommended) is that he basically blew me off when I repeatedly kept telling him I am having problems. And maybe if he had done what he said he was going to do maybe I would not be in the situation that I am in now.

|  Conceited Doctor has God complex & patients annoy him  |  show details
Dec 13th, 2010

I wish Id chosen a different neurosurgeon. He initially seemed capable and caring- even if we did have to wait between 45 mins and 1.5 hours at EACH appointment, where there were usually several patients booked for the same timeslot. After a surgery, He acted like he couldnt remember me, he was annoyed that I was taking up time in follow up appointments where he coul be hustling business. He argued with his PA in front of me, and contradicted hospital doctors and staff orders, as well as what his PA told us as well. I would NEVER reccomend him to anyone needing surgery. He has forgotten that his duty is to his patients and not to his wallet.