Dr. Allan Gamagami MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

September 28th, 2016
Great Surgeon!
Dr. Gamagami saved my life, no other way to put it. I was diagnosed with a pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor on my pancreas which was between 4 and 6 cm. Dr. Gamagami took the time to explain the procedure, recovery, and answer questions that I and my family had. Dr. Gamagami visited me daily during my 5 day hospital stay as I would expect. He is humorous, efficient, and very good at what he does, saves lives. I have not complaints whatsoever and would seek him out if I ever need another procedure to be done.

March 28th, 2016
Very rushed and basically told me to deal with the pain or deal with an ugly scar.

May 21st, 2014
Sick of Doctors Like This!!!!!!
This man will not spend any bedside time with you answering questions you may have. Spent a total of 2 minutes with me for the preoperative visit and I still had multiple questions to be answered. Day of surgery this a-hole shows up 30 minutes late wondering what we're waiting for. Tried to ask him some questions but he was not having it. Very combative...even the nurse was shaking her head at this behavior. I worked as a surgical tech for 6 years and realized post surgery he was very rough with me while I was under. Wish I could post pictures of the bruising and torn flesh from the minor abdominal procedure. Thought very hard about reporting this a-hole to the board. Instead I will post this response in hopes no one else falls victim to this "doctor".

October 26th, 2013
He is the best :)
I chose Dr. Gamagami because of his good reputation and the surgery he had done on my friend. I have breast cancer and was very scared about who the best was. My oncologist and plastic surgeon both confirmed that he was one of the best. He is honest, very knowledgeable, professional and caring. He spent 45 minutes with me to explain, answer my question and even tried to be funny to make me stop crying. I went to him with tears and left his office with smile. I am sooooo very happy I chose him, especially, after I heard from other doctors that he is very precise and detailed. He really knows what he is doing. He did a great job with my friend’s surgery (also a breast cancer survivor) and I’m so happy for choosing him. I trust him and sure recommend him to all my friends and co-workers.

February 28th, 2013
Always Get a Second Opinion
My Sharp Rees-Stealy general doctor thought she felt something during my annual exam - I had anal cancer 15 years ago. She thought she might have felt an anal flap and wanted me to go to a specialist at Sharp Rees-Stealy for a look and referred me to Dr. Gamagami. During his exam he said he saw something that he thought he should surgically remove and biopsy and set up a surgery time with me. Dr. Gamagami is a general surgeon not a colorectal certified surgeon - I went to Scripps when I had my anal cancer and all my team of doctors have sense retired or died. I called the colorectal doctor at Scripps who worked with my colorectal doctor 15 years prior because when a doctor says "surgery" we should all PAY ATTENTION and get another opinion. I went to this doctor who said before he looked at me that no one should do surgery on a past anal cancer patient unless it is absolutely necessary. He then did his exam and found nothing amiss and sent me home. I have no idea what Dr. Gamagami say that he thought should be removed and I'm pretty certain that if he had performed surgery on me it would have screwed me up for the rest of my life (and I have enough problems after the chemo and radiation I had as it is!). He is NOT a certified colon/rectal surgeon so the moral of this story is not that Dr. Gamagami is a terrible surgeon in all cases but ALWAYS GET A SECOND OPINION FROM AN EXPERT IN THE FIELD. If you are reading this you have some doubts - you should always have doubts and be sure of what you are doing before you ever let someone perform surgery on you.

September 4th, 2012
The Worst
This man spent all of 1 minute bedside with me for my appointment. The day of surgery he was 45 minutes late, and again spent all of 30 seconds "answering" my questions. Find another doctor! Trust me, stay away from this clown!!!

July 12th, 2012
Best Surgeon! He saved my life! Twice!
Dr. Gamagami took out my colon and then performed a second surgery months later to remove my ostomy. He was amazing. He visited me EVERY DAY that I was in the hospital (total of 31 days) and I am grateful to him for my life.

May 15th, 2012
Completely Unprofessional
What ever happened to doctors that actually care about their patients? Gami will NOT listen to, let alone answer any of your questions. Trust me, do NOT give this narcissistic jackal the time of day, you will regret it!

March 26th, 2012
Stay Away From This Guy
I'll start by saying that the staff was amazing! With that said, do NOT waste your this egotistical jerk! Allan Gamagami is definitely NOT about the patient, and will not spend more than seconds with you at each visit. Clearly this guy is in it for the title and the pay. Look elsewhere and find a doctor that will actually answer your questions and take a few extra minutes to get to know you.

June 6th, 2011
A life saver
Dr Gamagami showed dedication and professionalism beyond my expectations during a very rough time for me health-wise. He performed four major abdominal surgeries on me plus a tracheotomy. During this time, I know that he cut short family time to rush back to the hospital when my condition worsened. His predictions and insight about my recovery proved correct. He treated my wife with respect, explaining what was happening to me. I am told I require one more follow-up surgery; I plan to ask Dr Gamagami to perform it.

May 19th, 2011
Excellent Surgeon
Dr. Gamamgami performed two surgeries for me. One was a very rare, delicate procedure that requires a skilled surgeon, removal of a pheo tumor. He performed this surgery with minimal incisions and the post operative care he ordered was amazing. My second surgery was more routine, but I trusted him so much I chose him to perform this one as well. Again, my followup was complete and fantastic. He is an excellent doctor and was willing to answer all my questions. I will always turn to him for any surgical needs.JF

May 10th, 2011
Not surprised that women have given him a high rating
I had my umbilical hernia operated on by Gamagami. There are many different discrepancies in care that I could discuss here, but I will just focus on the fact that his bedside manner are the worst. He really needs to check his attitude and sense of entitlement at the door, and realize that he is here for the patient. I was seen by Gamagami on two separate occasions, one for a preoperative consultation, the second for the actual procedure. The total face-to-face time with him totaled approximately 2 minutes. Unacceptable!!! The preoperative visit literally lasted 30 seconds! Come on..really?!? The day of the surgery he shows up 15 minutes late, and then walks in the room and states...what are we waiting for? Really?? Really?? We're waiting on you!! The next 2 minutes he spent charting on the computer...never once asked me if I have any questions, concerns, or anything of the sort. I actually had to interrupt him and the nurse to get in one of my many questions. He didn't even look up from the computer when he responded. He clearly was in a rush to be somewhere else, and showed absolutely no regard to the fact that this was my first surgery of any kind. All in all, I will never go back to this guy for any kind of care!! Steer clear...although in my opinion, he definitely seems the type to spend some extra time with his female patients. -Concerned patient