Dr. Allan Maltbie MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

May 10th, 2017
A Gifted Healer and Exceptional Person
I have been a patient of Dr. Allan Maltbie for 26 1/2 years! He has changed my life in many ways. I spent my first 34 years living in constant, severe anxiety and depression. I had no life really. I was single, unable to work a full-time job, unable to have meaningful friendships for fear that others would "find out" about my condition. (I was used to putting on a brave face in public -- as long as I could quickly retreat from the public eye). I felt hopeless. I had briefly seen another psychiatrist who (supposedly) had worked wonders for creative people such as I. After a few months with him, I felt more desperate than ever and was suicidal. In a final attempt to find help, I joined a study conducted by a well-known university in Durham, NC. A doctor there recommended Dr. Maltbie to me. When I called Dr. M's office, I was very surprised that HE answered the phone --- not a nurse or receptionist! This was the beginning of my journey with a doctor who has always been remarkably accessible! As I look back now, I can see how frighteningly fragile I was at that time, and how skillfully and compassionately Dr. Maltbie treated me. I very gradually improved with lots of talk therapy and appropriate medications. I came to actually trust Dr. M, which was a major milestone for me, as I had never really trusted anyone. Dr. M and I have been through so many of my ups and downs over all these years. He has been steadfastly supportive, patient, very kind, thoroughly professional, and--most importantly -- THERE for me, whenever I have needed him, always maintaining professional boundaries while offering such compassion! (After all these years, I still call him "Dr. Maltbie!") What a rarity he is! I realize what an exceptional experience it is to have a physician who is so responsive to his patients' needs. When I call his office, I still hear a personal greeting from him, and I leave my message, knowing that he himself will return it! I can't give enough praise to this remarkable person and gifted healer!! As a result of the work I have done with Dr. Maltbie, I have been able to marry a wonderful man, to take on incredibly demanding work as a family caregiver, and to live a stable life. It is not an exaggeration to say that Dr. Maltbie has saved my life. He has been a gift from God to me, and I thank God every day for this kind and caring man. And now, on we go!!.....for as long as Dr Maltbie continues to practice!! God bless him!!

September 26th, 2016
You Just Never Know . . . But Sometimes . . . Things Just Work Out!
He is one of the most phenomenal human beings I have ever met. He's been my doctor for over 15 yrs. He has been my doctor, my advocate, and my friend. I have a chronic health problem that's going to eventually take my life. (It's okay. We all gotta go sometime! Don't mean to sound glib, just sayin') Problem is, after 16 almost 17 years, I have no diagnosis. He's one of TWO doctors that believes that this is biological not psychological. Between the two of them, they've kept me on the straight & narrow so to speak for ALL these years. I'm not sure that I would have survived this long were it not for these two fine men. Dr. M is one of them. I am VERY grateful to have been blessed with him as my doctor. It could have just as easily been anyone else. He's one of my TWO heros! Thank you my friend. Thank you.

October 6th, 2014