Dr. Allen Jackson MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.4

April 22nd, 2014
He had his office staff call me at let me know that he recommended we not use him as my mother's doctor any longer. We used the Assisted Living doctor during needs that had to be met while she was in the facility and needed immediate attention without having to transport her to an outside doctor's office. I was never given the option of using just him. I was told she should just see the doctor at the facility and not him any longer. I was really surprised at the manner that was handled. I was also told by the office staff that he "was mad" that we had used another doctor. I understand the confusion in having two doctors, however, under the circustances that she is a dementia patient and he has non-consistent office hours during the week we had to resort to using someone else in situations that called for her immediate care. I liked him as a doctor and felt very disappointed in the way this was handled.

April 30th, 2013
Wouldn't see him again if you paid me!
I started seeing Dr Jackson several years ago when my family doctor retired, and my family members switched to him. My husband and I are not geriatric patients, but family members are. I've never thought he was a particularly good doctor, but ok for colds and small ailments. Other family members and I have different specialists, so I was ok with the times I've had to see him. I will say, if you are sick, good luck getting in. They do NOT work you in when you need them. You can have a terrible case of the flu or bronchitis and they'll offer you an appointment for the next week. Also, don't leave a message for anything - they do not return calls with any type of regularity or urgency. A few months ago I called first thing on a Tuesday morning leaving a message that I had pink-eye and needed drops called in or an appointment. They didn't call back until Friday afternoon! Hello, this is contagious - lucky I found some old drops I had! His staff is nice when you are there, but out of sight, out of mind. I have developed chronic back pain over the last six months. I by-passed Dr Jackson and went to MUSC because I didn't trust he'd be any help. Unfortunately, the doc at MUSC told me to go to my family doctor and get into physical therapy. I don't doctor shop in the least, but for some reason I ended up with a surgeon at MUSC even though I asked for a pain specialist, not a surgeon. Since nothing was indicated on my xrays for surgery, that doctor had no time for me. I still didn't want to go back to Dr Jackson, but my pain was increasing, so I made an appointment. I didn't have my xrays with me but told them I would authorize MUSC to email them or they could go online to access them. I was told, "we don't do things on the computer". WHAT?? Anyway, Dr Jackson came in and I started explaining where the pain was and when it was occurring. He interrupted me to ask what MUSC had said. When I told him physical therapy, he said that sounded right and he'd get me set up. (He NEVER touched my back or let me finish what I was saying!) Luckily my neurologist who treats my migraines knows how to examine a patient and make health-care decisions. Dr Jackson then spent the next ten minutes talking to me about my family members. I mean gossiping, and I wasn't reciprocating. Making fun of my mother for what is a mental problem, criticizing other family members because of their weight and other short-comings. Asking me, "do you really think they'll ever lose weight?" is not a caring statement or question. He is not authorized to discuss their medical issues with me, and even if he was, certainly not in such an unprofessional way. Sadly, he did this about every time I saw him, and I tried to excuse his behavior. When a PT finally called me a few weeks later, it was a home-health guy who does PT on home-bound, geriatric invalids. I am 48 and not home-bound! I was not surprised, however, as I had already told my family that if I were to be at death's door, I did not want that man near me again. Add to that the fact that many times when I went, they would have my MIL's file pulled instead of mine (we don't have the same first name). It also happened with my husband and his father (the file mix-ups). They have the same name, but, come on! You give your date of birth when you make an appointment. They had recorded some of my FIL's info in my husband's file a couple of times and we found out when Dr Jackson asked if he still had that problem on a subsequent visit). I have NEVER had them follow up timely on anything dealing with my family. He asked me each time about my kids - not how they are, but if I ifhave them, and their ages, etc. I have been seeing him for over ten years, plus he sees my family so I would have thought he would remember something about me. I guess I'm an idiot for giving him so many chances. I was sick last week, so was my husband and MIL. All three of us went to Nason during the week, without even bothering to call Dr Jackson. It cost me and my husband twice as much money, and money is a major factor for us, but Dr Jackson was not an option I would ever consider again. My mother was sick, and did call. They told her "it" was going around, they were busy, and she could call back in a few days if she wanted to be seen. (Like that wasn't what she called for). I am hoping my family will see the light as we finally have. I have a new patient appointment with a new family doctor tomorrow, and my husband and daughter will also be seeing the new doctor. I don't trust him at all with the care of someone who may be in a position where they really need to trust their doctor.

September 21st, 2010
Dr's diagnosis? "the patient is just OLD"
A geriatric doctor that says the patient is just OLD and you should just deal with it?!! Unbelievable! Don't allow anyone you care about to go to this doctor! He spent a LOT of time with us--mostly grandstanding, letting us know how smart and compassionate he was! He only addressed the patient 1 time in the 1 hour appt.!! INEXCUSABLE!! He also shows off in front of student doctors! He seems to be wary of turning specialty care over to specialists!! Because of money or scared they'd find out how incompetent he really is???

June 30th, 2010
Spent a lot of time with me-is very knowledgable about new treatments/medications. Listened to my concerns about costs of treatments/medications and didn't order unneccessary tests. Highly recommend Dr Jackson and his staff. Truly cares about me as a patient.

December 14th, 2009
Absolutely uncaring and only out to make money. Patients are numbers, not human beings. Do not let this quack near you or your family members.

November 21st, 2009
horrible doctor
This man is an idiot. He doesn't value the elderly and knows very little about medicine. He's only good at reading what other specialists have written and then parrotting it back to the patient. Never received worse care in 85 years.