Dr. Allen Hoffman Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Allen Hoffman?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

April 16th, 2015

Top notch general surgeon

I had been having issues with cramping in the left lower abdomen, nausea and loss of appetite off and on for several months before I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. One month after this diagnosis, one of the diverticula had ruptured and I wound up in the ER of Tarzana Medical Center. The ER Doctor called Dr. Hoffman who came to see me. He was very straight forward in explaining the possible courses of action. He said that rather than taking me in for emergency surgery which could result in a possible temporary colostomy bag for up to 3 months followed by a second surgery to reconnect the ends of the colon, he decided to take a conservative approach and monitor the situation until the next morning. If my temperature, WBC count and other labs were to remain elevated by the next morning, I would require immediate surgery. If these values were to decrease to a more normal level, then I could have laparoscopic removal of the affected portion of the colon without any need for a colostomy in 6 to 8 weeks after the inflammation had subsided. Thankfully, things turned out well the next morning and I remained in the hospital for 3 more days for monitoring and IV antibiotics. About 8 weeks later I had laparoscopic surgery which went very well. I did develop a minor infection which he treated very aggressively with antibiotics. By taking the conservative approach that first night, I was spared from possibly having a large abdominal incision and a temporary colostomy bag. Overall, I feel incredibly fortunate that I was referred to him. He has a good bedside manner, excellent surgical skills and is very effective in dealing with unpredictable situations. Not only did he save my life, he spared me from what could have been a very traumatic ordeal. I would recommend him to anybody.

November 24th, 2014

My Miracle Worker

I was referred to Dr. Hoffman in 1998 for the very new chemoembolization and surgery. I had been told by major cancer centers that there was no treatment for me. My carcinoid tutors were all over. Dr. Hoffman did extensive surgery. I had 80% liver resection! small bowel and gastric rejections. He also found kidney cancer so kidney surgeon did radical nephrectomy. I have been an RN for almost 50 years. I have often waited to see my carcinoid specials for hours. I do not care about staff or waiting, I care about the person doing the surgery. What I do know about Dr Hoffman is that I got to see my kids graduate college, get married, and best of all become a grandmother. I am not acquainted with his new staff. I just thank God every day that Dr. Hoffman came into my life or I would not be here to write this.

April 15th, 2014

ABHORRENT "care"

After an exam by Dr. Hoffman, my attempts to schedule a necessary and urgent surgery were thwarted repeatedly by his venomous and combative staff. Not only was I not cared for by Dr. hoffman I was treated aggressively by his staff, who were more like prison guards then healthcare professionals. All the while, my urgent need for surgery was completely ignored, so I had to go to the ER for proper care. If you value your health, my advice would be to avoid Dr. Hoffman altogether. I was referred by my other doctor to Dr. hoffman for surgery as my condition required the expertise of a general surgeon. I was sobbing as my condition worsened and My pain and suffering became unbearable. Dr. Hoffman received all 4 of my messages and still disregarded my please for help. The office staff hung up on me because they said he has my messages and I deserved to be hung up on because I called 4 times. Mind you Dr. Hoffman was not in surgery which which would be the only sane reason he would ignore my repeated phone calls. I only received a phone call back from Dr. Hoffman, who refused me treatment after I told his office staff that I will file a complaint with the medical board. Not only did I get abhorrent care by doctor Hoffman and his staff, he was inappropriate in the examination room during my consultation. Highlighting the trauma of the experience, was the shoddy office "decor," which included a dirty floors, dingy furniture, and documents taped to the wall, rather then framed.

October 12th, 2011

Dr. Hoffman provided excellent care and is a consummate professional with a great bedside manner. I feel lucky to have been referred to him.

January 6th, 2011

Great doctor with a heart

Dr. Hoffman was recommended to us as a surgeon who is capable of complicated bile duct repair surgery. He was careful, compassionate, and very helpful throughout a traumatic time - reconstructive surgery after a gall bladder bile duct injury (he did not do surgery causing the injury).

December 9th, 2009

Dr. Hoffman saved my life

I saw Dr. Hoffman because I entered the ER and needed emergency surgery. I feel incredibly lucky that he was my surgeon. He diagnosed my condition accurately, explained my diagnosis and how they would proceed. His follow up was excellent. He was very caring and very generous with his time.

November 29th, 2008

Completely Ignored

Made an appointment and showed up on time, only to have the very rude office staff inform me that the doctor was not in and all were unaware of my scheduled appointment. totally unprofessional. in a surgeons office, where all the patients are understandably nervous and needing care, to blow someone off so completely, and send them on their way was utterly classless. i have a new surgeon now.

December 15th, 2016