Overall Review

1.7

June 23rd, 2016
Wish I had read these before appt.
I just had an annual physical with Dr. Oler. I have seen many Docs and CRNPs at PennMed and all seem qualified and compassionate. Dr. Oler is not at all compassionate and I'm not sure about the qualified part either. She did not read my history, asked only cursory questions and made me feel like I was imposing on her time, even though I had waited for six months for the appointment. And I don't agree with the two commenters that "bedside manner" doesn't matter. It does. If you can't connect with your patients then you are not going to get the whole picture. I agree that she is a doc who feels patients need to take control of their own healthcare, and that's fine. But she was dismissive when I asked her questions and did not probe any further. There were a couple of hints of caring, but the overall experience left me cold. I think she should have opted for research instead of clinical. I will do my level best not to schedule another appointment with her.

May 23rd, 2016
Missing my VA doctors
Dr. Oler is everything these reviews say. I had the worst experience I have ever had with a doctor. I thought about walking out of the office but they had already taken my $$ (they are smart to collect upfront) and it took me 6 months to get an appointment. On the positive side, you are in and out fast. How many patients have conditions that escalate because of her indifference? She doesn't have a new patient form of any kind so my history obviously matters not to her. Please don't make the mistake I made, make an appointment with someone else.

May 21st, 2016
Interesting
I have been a patient of Dr. Oler for about four years. I must admit my first visit with her I felt like she really wasn't at all interested in me as a patient. While explaining my family cancer history she cut me off and seemed to rush through the rest of my appointment. I left feeling odd. I've gone back to her several times since, and now I'm getting to know her style better. She's simply just very down to business. She's a great doctor. She has been very thorough with me and has always stayed on top of my concerns. She may not be the old fashioned style doctor that we may want and need sometimes (it's nice to feel comforted at the doc), but she is good and I do recommend her.

February 25th, 2016
December reviews made me feel better!
I chuckled when I saw the review from the patient who said Dr. Oler called her a complainer! You are NOT ALONE! Some time ago I suffered for a month with intense sore throat and went for a strep test. She said, "We all get sore throats, I've had mine for 2 months!" So I said, "But I feel like I am swallowing glass!' And she rolled her eyes and reluctantly ordered the strep test. It was positive! Another time I told her I went to the community pool (small talk) and she just made a yuck face and said, "I put a pool in my own backyard. The pool is gross."

December 15th, 2015
Completely Unhappy with Dr. Oler
She is the worst doctor I have ever seen. Cold, spent no time, minimal exam, did not wash hands, rude and overall incompetent. All the negative reviews on this site are correct. I URGE YOU TO FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR, DR OLER IS WORST OUT THERE! She may have trained at wonderful schools, but she doesn't care an ounce about her patients. F in my book!

December 12th, 2015
After car crash, went for exam, Dr. Oler was shaming, h=yelled at me , poor physical exam
Stay away from her! Dr. Allison Oler, Internist at HUP, Radnor, PA location, is one of the worst doctors I have ever encountered with a cold, uncaring demeanor, shaming attitude and poor physical exam. (Despite her being somehow named "best Internist doctor" in Philadelphia Magazine, which is why I went to see her. Perhaps Penn pays or indirectly bribed Philadephia Magazine by placing expensive ads may be the reason a sub-standard questionable doctors like Dr. Oler gets named as s a "top doc."). After a car crash where I was broadsided, I had persistent pain. Although I rarely seek out any help, taught never to complain, I forced myself to find a doctor to examine me. My back hurt and her exam table was hard for me to pull into the upright position to rest it. When she came in the room, she did not wash her hands (which I like a doctor to do not just for sanitary reasons but to show me that they are being sanitary since they are a stranger to me and I can’t know their habits. I wish I had the nerve like some patients do to make the reasonable request and ask a doctor to please wash their hands in the room in my presence before they see me, since afraid of the blow-back some people have said they get when making this reasonable health request. ) I merely mildly asked her if she could adjust the exam tale so my back which was in pain could rest. She said, "Do you always complain this much? I was shocked and ashamed because I rarely complain, it was hard for me to even go to see a doctor let alone ask for this minor request.) She was very dismissive and shaming of my pain as if it was in my head. Her physical exam was minimal and she did not even examine my back. Later my friends pointed out that why else was I going to a doctor if it was not to complain of physical symptoms? I was not making an appointment to chat about the weather, an art show, recommended restaurants to visit, etc. Afterwards, I saw a different doctor, who was much more compassionate and concerned, examined me very carefully and ordered appropriate labs and x-rays. It turned out I had broken ribs and a kidney contusion and other injuries which the second doctor at another facility then treated. Would never go back to Dr. Oler again for any reason.

February 25th, 2015
Dr. Oler has NO bedside manner. It makes you question why she is a doctor. She has no compassion, empathy and is condescending. Did not even acknowledge a spouse with me at appt. Communication is key in a doctor/patient relationship. If you're looking for someone who is genuinely interested in your health and will make you feel comfortable, find someone else.

August 14th, 2013
Pleased
I can't imagine where the reviews listed come from!! I found Dr. Oler prompt, professional, and competent. She asked relevant questions, treated me like a cooperating adult, made changes in my meds and an appointment to follow up. There was no wait for an appointment and when I arrived, I was seen immediately by a friendly, courteous assistant. I guess if you need "touchy feelly, " you might want a different personality type, but I rank competence most important.

May 6th, 2013
Not impressed with Dr. Oler
Dr. Oler rushed through my visit, hardly asked any questions, barely examined me, handed me a prescription, and proceeded. To walk out of the room. The entire visit lasted about 5 minutes. When I said I had more questions, she replied she did not have time for questions as other patients were waiting. I went to another physician and learned that she misdiagnosed my condition and was treated correctly by them. Do yourself a favor - do not see this doctor.

January 29th, 2013
Hates People
I was so glad to read these reviews. I have been a patient for four years and thought maybe I just irritated her. She is condescending , cold and does not care one ounce about the patient. I also found that she will not take an urgent appointment. She will not believe anything you say about your health. She took my note that I had written question on out of my hand and put it where I could no longer read from it. The first review was right, she should have been a lawyer. Lititgation.

August 30th, 2012
Might have better ratings if you could get an apptmt to see her
I have never encountered more surly or unhelpful staff than Dr. Oler's nurse(s). It is virtually impossible to get an appointment without waiting a significant amount of time. Either you are not sick enough to warrant prompt treatment, or you are so sick that you are advised to go to the ER. They are more concerned about having you come in for needless annual exams, even if you are young and in good health, than treating your more urgent needs as a patient. I got better treatment and more respect at a CVS Minute Clinic.

June 4th, 2012
MD
As a physician, I would not recommend Dr. Oler to anyone. She is insensitive and outright rude at times.