Psychiatrist

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Rescued me show details Rescued me
by W on Sep 24th, 2016

He was able to rescue me from a very complicated dysfunctional family problem

Wrong diagnosis show details Wrong diagnosis
by M.B. Ross on Jul 20th, 2016

Dr. Burstein only does a medicine check on me every 3 months. My "talk therapy" is with a psychologist. The very first time I saw Dr. Burstein, he diagnosed manic disorder. I told him that none of the other therapists I had seen over the years had ever diagnosed that, and that I'd always been treated only for depression unrelated to bipolar disorder. I also asked him how he could make that diagnosis based on a 15-minute session at my first visit. He said it was based on my "talking fast." I pointed out that I was trying to give him as much history as possible because I knew I only had a 15-minute appointment scheduled. It didn't convince him, and his wrong diagnosis remains on my record. Also, the first thing he did was change the dosage of 2 of my medications, even though I was doing well on both of them. He kept prescribing higher doses of lithium (which I don't need), that, in turn, exacerbated my existing thyroid disorder. Because of that, my endocrinologist had to increase my thyroid medication to restore normal levels. And because thyroid medication decreases the lithium level, Dr. Burstein he continued raising the lithium dose. It's a never-ending battle - a tug-of-war between 2 doctors trying to achieve an impossible balance between medications that work in opposition with each other. I asked him to talk to the endocrinologist and he said, "He can call me if he wants to talk to me." I have asked him repeatedly to take the wrong diagnosis out of my chart and he just ignores me. I only had one session where he had eye contact with me and answered questions. The rest of the time he reads lab reports and types on his computer. I chose him only because he's one of a few who accept Medicare. He has an impressive educational background, but what good is that when he's not a "people person?"

Jun 25th, 2016

Experience and compassion make Dr. Burstein an excellent psychiatrist. He is so helpful in getting you the very best results.

Feb 22nd, 2016

Being that Dr. Burstein is my specialist. I would appreciate a list of selected books for my condition. I an interested in what, how it is diagnosis, the best ways to treat the condition as this will give me a greater understanding. The 30-45 minute session charges are those for services rendered for only 15 minutes. Why are the sessions not prorrated on time spent rather than the charting code?

Oct 18th, 2015

Dr. Burstein is one of a kind. My husband is a retired physician, and our son is a physician. My son called Dr. Burstein to question a medicine that he prescribed for my husband. Dr. Burstein would not take the call unless my son paid him $100.00. Dr. Burstein is interested in money, not care for the patient.

Alvin Burstein show details Alvin Burstein
Apr 2nd, 2015

Dr. Burstein is almost evil in the way he handles some of his patients. I went to get help withdrawing from a strong medication I had been on for over 20 years. He had me discontinue the medication too rapidly and when I began to have horrid withdrawal symptoms, he denied that they were related to the rapid decreasing of the medication. He refused to help me while I was experiencing violent nausea, night sweats and insomnia. Every other Doctor I consulted confirmed that these were signs of medication withdrawal and should have been taken into consideration by the doctor with regard to how quickly and by how much the medication should be reduced. Every medical journal consulted suggested a much slower and more moderate reduction of this very powerful drug. Dr. Burstein was disinterested in my discomfort and basically told me to "go to the hospital" if I was nauseated.

The worst show details The worst
Sep 25th, 2014

Wrong diagnosis. Provided wrong medication and I became suicidal.

Tremendous Disappointment show details Tremendous Disappointment
by E.D. on Jun 20th, 2013

am tremendously disappointed in Dr. Burstein as a mental health professional. I began treatment largely in part due to needing assistance coping with my father's battle with cancer. Much to my shock and dismay, when I was forced to cancel an appointment with Dr. Burstein 4 hours prior to my appointment time, DUE TO MY FATHER PASSING AWAY, he would NOT WAIVE THE CANCELLATION FEE. I was forced to pay not just my co-pay, but TWICE my copay amount for the last minute cancellation. I completely understand policies such as this to avoid negligence, but there should be exceptions to rules and regulations for extreme circumstances. Shame on you, Dr. Burstein!!

Four years with missed diagnosis show details Four years with missed diagnosis
Sep 28th, 2010

I began seeing Dr. Burstein in 2006 for bipolar depression and informed him of a family history of thyroid problems. He continued treating me with lithium (known to affect the thyroid gland). I had periodic blood tests for lithium and thyroid levels, but he ignored my reporting of low thyroid symptoms because he thought the blood tests were OK. My primary care physician finally recognized that the blood tests in fact showed low thyroid and prescribed thyroid supplements. My condition has improved more in the last few months on thyroid than on the thousands of dollars in drugs he prescribed. He formed an opinion of my condition the first time we met and ignored what I told him after that if it disagreed with his ideas. I've suffered through 4 years of depression and many expensive drugs when a cheap thyroid supplement would have helped my condition and allowed my other drugs to work more effectively.

Mark as Helpful  | 15 people found this helpful Report Abuse