Dr. Amal Tanagho MD Patient Reviews

• Child Psychiatry Huntington Beach, CA

3.2

September 7th, 2012
Please read from long time patient
I began seeing Dr. Tanagho several years ago when she had a joint practice with other physicians in her field. I found her to be an excellent listener and very perceptive. She never gave me a medication without my requesting it. Even when she would have preferred giving more or different meds, she would discuss it with me first. I was honest when I didn't take the meds or cut pills in half. She would say fine, so how are your symptoms now? Nothing is an exact science but DNA. Everyone is different. I think people need to realize the doctor is not your therapist. She is not going to give you two treatments for the price of one, just 'cause your charming or angry. Also, when people are mentally or emotionally ill, especially stressed over a long period of time, there will be physical manifestations even without meds. If you are suffering, this doctor is the right one to see.

May 13th, 2012
Beware 2.0
Here are the six (6) most basic questions you should ask a Psychiatrist or Health Care Professional: 1. What is the diagnosis? 2. What are the recommended treatments for this disorder? if so what are the COMMON SIDE EFFECTS? 3. How long must you wait to notice the positive benefits of this drug?4. Are there any dangerous drug-drug interactions? 5. CAN YOU DRINK ALCOHOL WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION?6. Is psychotherapy recommended in addition to medication? Dr. T referred me to Sherry Cheng in her office who to my knowledge was not informed as to the meds I was on therefore, all of the therapy sessions consisted of Sherry's taking notes on my medications SIDE EFFECTS AND NOT MY ACTUAL SYMPTOMS! If I had to do this again, I would only see a Psychiatrist who would dispense medications and the therapy as well--so my treatments would not be "half-baked." In summary, take charge of your health care, since no one else will!!

February 13th, 2012
Dr. Tanagho is my wife's doctor, but I frequently am included in the sessions. She is caring, professional and accomodating. She has been my wife's doctor for over 5 years now, and although we've moved out the area, we still travel about an hour just to see her.

January 3rd, 2012
Does not understand English very well, did not spend enough time with my child
Dr Tanagho spent approximately 45 mins total with my child and I to diagnose her as ADD. She did not mention a formal questionare or mention contacting my childs teachers for a questionaire. She rushed to the diagnosis and wrote us a prescription for ritalin. We are going to find another phsysician for my daughter.

September 15th, 2011
TERRIBLE!
At initial meeting did not conduct a thorough intake form (intiate questionaire)to see what treatments/medications I was taking. Therefore the Approximate ONLY 15 minute sessions were never geared toward solving my actual problems/symptoms. She would just take notes regarding my medications' side effects not my symptoms/problems and prescribe more ANTI-ANXIETY, ANTI-DEPRESSANT MEDICATIONS! WITHOUT EXPLAINING THE DRUGS' DANGEROUS SIDE-EFFECTS! THEREFORE ALL MY TREATMENTS AND SESSIONS WERE A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY AND RESULTED IN MY CONDITION BECOMING EXTREMELY WORSE INSTEAD OF BETTER! PLEASE DO NOT SEEK HELP FROM MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS WHO DO NOT PERFORM A THOROUGH INTAKE INTERVIEW AND HAVE READ YOUR MEDICAL HISTORY PRIOR TO SEEKING THERAPY, DO EXTENSIVE RESEARCH VIA THE INTERNET, YOUR CURRENT FAMILY MD, AND INSURANCE COMPANY REFERRALS PRIOR TO SEEKING HELP!!