Dr. Amanda Wheeler MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

June 6th, 2016
Stage 1 IDC DR. Wheeler is FABULOUS
I feel compelled to write this review after reading all the negatives on Dr. Wheeler. My experience with Dr Wheeler was wonderful, she is very caring and is very understanding. She helped me make an important decision I had Stage 1 IDC and instead of just a lumpectomy I had a reduction and lift at the same time. Dr Wheeler didn't try to force me to do the reduction she just gave me all the facts and let me consider it. When my results form my lumpectomy came back she sat down next to me and went through every little thing. She was detailed, caring, and very up beat took her time with me and encouraged me. She was absolutely the reason I got through my breast cancer surgery and treatment. She reminded me I wasn't sick and gave me tools and things I could do to help aide my body in keeping breast cancer away. It's unfortunate there are some bad reviews on here. She really is a fabulous surgeon who genuinely cares about your health and well being.

February 8th, 2016
Extremely hostile
Extremely hostile, rude and arrogant. Please avoid this doctor. She will only make you feel bad about yourself.

September 8th, 2015
I would agree. Not the best consult but the surgeon's expertise seems to make up for it. Needs to improve the bedside manner and be more patient in listening to the patient. I found that she rushes but again the surgery is great but the bedside manner needs to improve. She is knowledgeable for sure.

January 24th, 2014
Not the best consult
I was assigned to Dr. Wheeler when I decided to get a second opinion at Stanford. She was nice enough, but definitely was quick to say my Breast Cancer was cut and dry. She told me it was Stage 1 and strongly discouraged me from talking about a mastectomy despite me being young, my family history, and not seeing my MRI. I don't feel like she was a good listener despite the time she took with me in my appointment. She seemed to misinterpret the questions I was asking as statements of my preference for treatment. The second appointment made me feel less at ease. I mentioned that other doctors' opinions had been different and that I was seriously considering a bilateral mastectomy rather than the lumpectomy she recommended. At that point she became defensive, arguing the contrary with me. I believe she sees the patient as a file, forms her opinions, and then pushes for that without really taking into consideration who I am and my own wishes or fears. (I'm comparing her approach to the other doctors that were much more concerned with me and listened to me before making recommendations.) A lumpectomy may be my best course of action, but the process with Dr. Wheeler did not inspire confidence or empowerment. I feel the decision any women makes when faced with Breast Cancer is deeply personal. If you a looking for someone who listens carefully to your concerns and being offered a complete menu of choices I would choose a different doctor.

September 8th, 2013
I had breast cancer at 32, and saw Dr. Wheeler. She is a wonderful, caring and kind human being. What really stood out to me was her passion for her job. She did my double mastectomy surgery, and I had zero pain. Her passion for her field of work is rare.

April 21st, 2013
Disappointing demeanor and no followup
Dr. Wheeler discounted my concerns about my breast lump. She was rushed and I had the sense she needed to move on to her next patient even though she had only spent about 5 minutes with me. She recommended follow up tests, but did not return my call for more information. It turns out that there is an abnormal condition in this breast and I am waiting for surgery now with another surgeon. She was recommended but I was very disappointed that I did not receive good care from her.

January 18th, 2013
Dr. Review
I found Dr. Wheeler very knowledgeable. She took time to answer my questions. She has a wonderful manner and is interested in her patients.

May 15th, 2012
Horrible
Here is a summary of what this doctor's initial conversation during our visit: since you have a different medical issue, which could be serious, I don't think you need to worry about whether you have breast cancer. 80% per cent of woman who have your symptoms do not develop breast cancer. Therefore, go home. What? you want me to examine you?

March 28th, 2011
My experience with Dr Wheeler has been wonderful, she makes you very comfortable and is very understanding. She explains everything to you step by step. She does not rush you and will answer all your questions and if you forget some you can call and shell get right back to you. She is definitely is someone that has made it easier for me to make it through the ruff period I just went through.

September 4th, 2010
Her expertise uncovered more cancer...
While doing the first lumpectomy, Dr Wheeler excised tissue beyond the clear borders she had already established. Pathology of the extra tissue showed more cancer in early stages. The same happened on the second lumpectomy. The extra tissue showed wide-spread cancer which lead to bilateral mastectomies and 8 rounds of chemo. Her expertise and surgical care revealed the wide infiltration of breast cancer and lead to maximal treatment before worse things could develop. If another doctor had only stopped at establishing clear margins on my first lumpectomy, I would have only received radiation and might have likely had a recurrance. I am grateful to have had the mastectomies when it became clear that it must be done. She also inserted my portacath. I feel that she has given me very personal service...as if I were family. Her credentials are also dynamite. Highly recommend her.