Dr. Amer Karam, MD

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

• Currently 3.2622950819672 of 4 stars
 |  patient care & consolation  |  show details
by Francesca P. on Aug 3rd, 2014

I had met Dr. Karam for the first time last Friday, July 25, 2014. I had flown to San Francisco, CA from Baltimore, MD to be with my grandmother while she starts and continue with the treatment, Avastin. The day after I arrived, my grandmother and I drove to Stanford to speak with Karam about the treatment. Hearing good things about the doctor prior to my arrival, I was very optimistic and glad that my grandma had chosen this doctor to treat her for her cancer. I had high expectations, but was very hopeful that this doctor could give her, and our family, some sort of hope that she could be with us on this Earth until her 75th birthday this November. Karam entered the room, looking flustered and agitated. He basically had told my grandma that Avastin is "chemotherapy", a word that she was terrified of after having to face the pain of going through chemo numerous times. This scared her, of course, but if there was some assurance or hope for her to survive throughout the year, she would go through with Avastin. She turned to Karam and asked "Will I get better?" And Karam was quick to answer "No." A straight up "No." That shot down every ounce of hope and optimism that my family had had for my grandmother. I couldn't believe this doctor. I've heard so many great things about him from my grandma and my aunt. Supposedly, he was very reassuring and friendly when he proposed Avastin at the meeting prior to my arrival. I'm not sure what the reason was for his change of mood and attitude, but needless to say, we are going to look for a new doctor very soon. Karam was disappointing.

Doctor's Response

I am sorry Francesca that your experience was disappointing. I strive to offer my patients the best experience possible and all the latest advances we have available. I also want to make sure that all my patients are as informed as possible regarding the risks and benefits they should expect as well as the likely outcomes they could derive from all these treatment options. My door is always open and I remain available to answer all of your and your family's questions and concerns.

|  Amazing, wonderful doctor  |  show details
by DMS on Mar 21st, 2014

Dr. Karam performed a hysterectomy on my 86 year old mother. The care he showed for my mother put us all at ease. He contacted us before and after the surgery to check on her condition. My mother recovered from the surgery within a day or two. Dr. Karam showed great concern for my mother, He spoke with her about the surgery in terms she could understand and took great care of her.

|  High Recommendation  |  show details
by Olivia on Dec 27th, 2013

Dr. Karam is super, and I highly recommend him. Late last summer he performed a minimally invasive hysterectomy on me. It was amazingly gentle, and my recovery was easy, short and uncomplicated. This is despite the fact that the surgery was challenging because of adhesions from a prior surgery, including an ovarian adhesion attached to one of the ureters. The ovarian adhesion needed to be cut off from the ureter, quite a delicate job, expertly performed. Dr. Karam was unwaveringly positive, encouraging, supportive and kind to me. He invited questions, made himself easily accessible, and was straightforward in answering. Before meeting Dr. Karam, I had received conflicting opinions about having a hysterectomy. Due to some physical complications, my regular gynecologist had been unable to complete a D and C and get a tissue sample from the inside of the uterus, so I did not know for sure whether or not I had any cancer. I am deeply grateful to Dr. Karam for recommending and performing the surgery, which did reveal that I had a small, early-stage cancerous tumor in the uterus. Catching it so early gives me a remarkably favorable prognosis. Dr. Karam will always have my gratitude.

|  Excellence and Humility  |  show details
by Esther Netz on Dec 12th, 2013

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer, and I was blessed with receiving Dr. Karam as my surgeon. I was surprised when I met him, because he looked like he was 12 years old. Being a critical care nurse, Dr. Karam made me feel confident with his expertise immediately. He answered all of my questions to my satisfaction, and you can imagine how many questions a critical care nurse have. The surgery went perfect. I was surprised and pleased to find out that I didn't have any pain after surgery. I did expect some deal of discomfort, because back in the day, a radical surgery of a TAH, oophorectomy, salpingorphomy along with lymph node disection was a huge deal and the patients suffered a lot with pain, but not me. I asked Dr. Karam why I didn't have any pain, and he told me, " I have a special relation with tissue." That I believe. After surgery, he was just as attentive, asking all of my questions about chemo and radiation, and calling me at home on a regular bases to see how I was doing and offered his help at anytime. He even encouraged me to call him at home if needed, and I did. His demeanor, his bedside manner, his humility, his personality, and his skilled mind and hands are definitely a gift from God. That was July 2009. I miss him, and who ever is lucky enough to get this young man as their surgeon, they are truly blessed. Thanks again Dr.Karam. Your friend and ex-patient, Esther Netz

|  An exceptional doctor!  |  show details
by Jennilyn K. on Oct 21st, 2013

For any woman dealing with a gynecological medical condition, I highly recommend Dr. Amer Karam (currently at Stanford University Medical Center). In September of 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage 1 endometrial cancer. The best choice I ever made was to call Dr. Karam to handle my treatment plan. In addition to his vast knowledge and amazing skill in robotic surgery, Dr. Karam is a very personable and sympathetic person. I continue to be amazed on how he makes himself accessible to his patients at any time to answer questions and/or concerns. Despite the fact that I live six and a half hours away from his clinical offices, it was worth it to have the best gynecologic oncologist on my side. :o)

|  Amazing doctor and wonderful human being!  |  show details
Oct 7th, 2013

Dr. Karam is the most caring and compassionate doctor I have ever had and he is also an excellent surgeon and diagnostician. After my surgery I had some complications and he was prompt to return my calls and work me into his schedule for additional procedures as needed. He even called me on a holiday with a pathology report which certainly could have waited until the next business day. I always felt I was in good hands and I would highly recommend Dr. Karam. I feel blessed to have had him for my doctor.

|  regarding dr AMER KARAM md  |  show details
by EDNA KAHEN on Jun 30th, 2013

dr AMER KARAM is the nicest and best dr I have ever had . he is so calm and respectful so energetic and caring and most important of all he treat the patient like a family member and best of all he is always smiling and paying sooo much attention to your needs...ohhh my god if every dr was the same as dr AMER KARAM earth would be like heaven. thank you dr AMER KARAM for every thing . I will recommend dr AMER KARAM to whole world to know there is an angel on the earth with no wing name dr AMER KARAM.....<3 :)

Jun 14th, 2013

Dr. Karam spent a lot of time with my mother, going over her diagnosis and discussing treatment options. At all times, he was kind, compassionate and most importantly, willing to fight for her! Another oncologist told her that surgery "wasn't an option" our second opinion led us to Dr. Karam and we are so grateful that it did. He literally saved my mother's life!

|  Mrs  |  show details
by Elena Brodetsky on May 9th, 2013

There is a combination of highly skilled surgeon, caring physician and compassionate person in Dr Karam. I hope his students, residence and peers can learn from him and bring all these qualities into their practice. Health care needs more of this kind of role models to ensure medicine does not become a business but stays focused on healing a patient.

|  OUTSTANDING!!!  |  show details
by Connie E Roddy on Apr 1st, 2013

I was compelled to write this review regarding my experience with Dr. Amer Karam because it was extremely positive. When I was selecting a doctor for my medical condition, it was hard. I wanted the best in terms of medical knowledge, experience, and education. Dr. Amer Karam embodies excellence in all of the above! From the beginning, Dr. Amer Karam gave me a sense of comfort knowing exactly what was going on with my diagnosis. He was very personable, kind and gave me as much time as I needed to ask questions about my health. Dr. Amer Karam gave me a deep sense of trust in him, which I really appreciated. Not only am I a huge fan of Dr. Amer Karam but also of the entire UCLA Health System. I have had other doctors within the UCLA Health System and have had the same out come, very positive! Any time I need a doctor, I choose someone within the UCLA Health System because of the outstanding doctors and medical care. I highly recommend Dr. Amer Karam, MD and his staff at UCLA Health System! Connie E. Roddy

|  Wish there were more like him!  |  show details
Oct 21st, 2012

Dr. Karam is by far, the best Doctor's I ever had! What I love about him the most is his bedside manner and the time he gives at each visit. I never felt like I was being rushed, never waited too long to see him and never left his office feeling like I still had questions that weren't answered or explained thouroughly. I would highly recommend him to anybody as he is extremely knowledgable, patient, very kind, good natured and truely cares about his patients. He goes the extra mile to make you feel special. Thanks for taking such good care of me Doctor Karam!Donna Johnson patient in 2009.

Oct 2nd, 2012

Great doctor. Very caring

|  Stage 4 Ovarian Cancer  |  show details
Aug 21st, 2012

Hi, I am Paveena Encinas. 46 y.o. I was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer. After I got a second opinion from Amer Karam, M.D., I have been very happy with Dr. Karam and his team. If you have ovarian or OB related cancer, you want this guy on your team.He goes above and beyond caring, fully supporting me through this journey. I am now cancer free, three (3) follow up chemotherapies to make sure the cancer is gone for good. Thank you Dr. Karam,OB/Oncology. Thank you so much, from Edward & Paveena Encinas

Aug 21st, 2012

Dr. Karam is not only an excellent physician but a caring human being. Rather than make my husband and I wait through the weekend to get the results of my MRI, Dr. Karam, himself, called me on a Friday night to let us know the test results were negative. Dr. Karam's reason for calling on a Friday evening: he didn't want us to worry unnecessarily!! That is just one of many many examples of his compassion. Dr. Karam, thank you for all do!!! You are the best and my husband and I truly appreciate you!

Aug 2nd, 2012

Dr Amer Karam is my oncologist and He is one of the BEST Doctors I have in my life. His devotion and care is superb. I have not meet a Doctor this devoted to his practice and patients.THANK YOU Dr. Karam for saving my life and cure me.Thanks to the staff in radiology all those ladies treatme with so much care thanks.Dr. Karam is HIGHLY recommend by me Sincerely Maria

|  Amazing!  |  show details
Jun 7th, 2012

It's Hard to find a Doctor who is so knowledgable and so caring! He comes highly recommended and now I see why!

|  The Absolute BEST!!!  |  show details
Jun 1st, 2012

Dr. Karam treated me for severely symptomatic fibroids. he is very kind and knowledgeable. He spends enough time with patients answering questions also.

|  I have never been more impressed with a doctor!  |  show details
Apr 3rd, 2012

I was referred to Dr. Karam for a female problem I was having. What a great first impresssion. I was seen right away. Dr. Karam spent at least 30 mins with me, answering questions, etc. When discussing my medical history, he knew things I had not included on my paperwork. When I asked how that was, he stated that he had gone over my entire medical history with UCLA. I couldn't believe how thorough and genuinely concerned he was. The Dr. gave me his cell, email and office phone number in case I had questions. Whenever I called or emailed him, he would always get back to me right away. Dr. Karam eventually performed surgery on me. Afterward, he visited me several times to check on me. This attention continued after I was discharged from the hospital. I have a friend who also sees Dr. Karam and she agrees with me that he gives exceptional patient service. I highly recommend Dr. Karam.

|  He is Awesome!!!  |  show details
Mar 7th, 2012

The great thing about Dr. Karam is that he genuinely cares about his patients. He has a very practical, common sense, intuitive way of looking at issues.

|  THE GREATEST DOC  |  show details
Jan 16th, 2012

He is the first doctor that I have seen and I have been to quite a few in my lifetime no one doctor has even come close to what kind of doctor he is. I do not have the word to say how great he is.

|  Lucky patient  |  show details
Dec 8th, 2011

I was VERY fortunate to have been referred to Dr. Karam. Honestly, my first impression of him wasn't the greatest as he looks very young. I thought, "Oh gosh, another young doctor, what would he know?" Boy, was I wrong. He is the most knowledgable Dr. who I have ever met in my lifetime so far. Not only is he familiar with my condition, but he is very personal and caring. I've had bad doctor experiences previously with bigger hospitals, but I must say that UCLA should be grateful to have a doctor like Dr. Karam. He's very sincere and actually wants to help you get through the problems with you. He'll even refer you to doctors in other specialties if he thinks it's for your own good. I hope to stay a patient of Dr. Karam for a very long time! I would definitely recommend Dr. Karam to anyone who needs his specialty without a doubt in my mind that he will treat you right.

|  the best dr. you can have in the time of need.  |  show details
Dec 7th, 2011

I would highly highly recommend him as a extremely knowledgable doctor, caring human being, and overall excellence. He is the kind of doctor you can count on to talk to you (as a person with dignity), provide you with all the information you need about your condition. He takes his time to answer all your questions even those that you may think should not be asked. He enckuragez you to ask him anything in order to make you feel at ease. He is thrustworthy. I highly recommend him.

|  Exceptional Care  |  show details
Oct 12th, 2011

Cancer is not a easy diagnosis to hear but Dr. Karam's kindness and compassion reduced my anxiety and fear. He took time to explain everything and listened to and answered all my questions. His confident, knowledgeable and assured manner made me feel safe under his care. He exemplifies excellence in healthcare.

|  Marquesa de Puebla de Parga (Frances Christopher)  |  show details
Jul 20th, 2011

I had a surgery that I have been putting off for about 2 years. I had had consultations with two other highly recommended doctors in the area and the first one, who is considered to be one of the best in her field at Cedars Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles, examined me after I spent over an hour with various people whose professions I am not sure of . She was with me for about fifteen minutes and wanted to do a procedure far more invasive than the one that was eventually performed by Doctor Karam. At Cedars a lot of pressure was put on me to have surgery within a few days, through fear tactics and fortunately I chose to look for another solution.Fortunately for me I looked on the UCLA website and in talking with some of the people at UCLA. , I asked, "what doctor would you use if you needed this surgery." The answer was Doctor Karam. I also had some trepidation about his ageand experience, however upon meeting him, all those fears subsided. He never once instilled fear in me, and never pressured me to have surgery. He diagnosed my problem, explained the alternatives and left the decision of what to have done up to me. He said I probably did not have cancer, and fortunately I do not. He did a minimal procedure and I am now at home and able have a swift recovery.During the time leading up to the surgery, if I had any questions or needed any paperwork, Doctor Karam would personally address those issues. He would take to time to communicate both by phone and email. Instead of having to navigate through several departments to get information, Dr. Karam would take his own time to provide answers , that in other practices would be sent by a secretary or an assistant. Since returning home, he has called several times, just to see how things are going. Since this was my first surgery, and I was very anxious and scared, Doctor Karam was a tremendous help to me. As mentioned by the other patient's in their reviews, I cannot say enough about his caring attitude, his communication skills, and his bedside manner.I do believe that this has a profound affect on one's health and the ability to heal quickly. A smiling face and a cheerful attitude goes a long way and I feel fortunate that I was somehow directed to Dr. Karam in a time of need.

Feb 28th, 2011

Dr. Karam well exceeded all expectations for quality care at UCLA. He is an elite medical professional that truly cares about his patients. He listens, follows up, and makes himself available for questions and concerns as they arise. I am truly grateful.

|  Very friendly and caring Dr. who listened to my concerns!  |  show details
by CK on Feb 8th, 2011

In our conversation, he listened and gave me great information specific to my health needs. I would highly recommend him.I did not list minutes waiting. I was early and they took me 15 minutes before my appt.

Jan 13th, 2011

Dr. Karam is by far the nicest, most professional, personable Dr. I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He instantly puts you at ease in a way that is unique to him. He truly has a gift, and I am incredibly grateful to have him as my Dr. If every Dr. were this qualified, women would not put off their yearly visits!

Jan 3rd, 2011

Amazing doctor.

|  Breast Cancer Scare  |  show details
Dec 30th, 2010

Last year I was referred to Dr. Karam for a breast abnormality. As a person in the industry, I typically have higher expectations of service & bedside manner. While my condition wasn't critical, it was still scary & required some invasive procedures. Dr. Karam was so sweet and so comforting when it came to one of the procedures that he came and held my hand and talked to me until it was over. I have not ever met a doctor like him before. When one of my clients contacted me after his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, I encouragedvthem to see Dr. Karam as a 2nd opinion. Immediately following their appointment they called me and thanked me from the bottom of their hearts because he offered to help oversee her treatment. Dr. Karam is by far the best doctor I've ever had and would recommend him to anyone who has a need in his specialty. I will also go as far as saying that anytime I am asked about a good specialist, he's the first one I call because anyone he trusts, I trust.

|  Best doctor I have ever met  |  show details
by Nancy G. on Sep 6th, 2010

Dr. Karam is treating me for breast cancer. His knowledge, skill and manner of patient care is the best I have ever experienced. He explains details about my disease, treatment options and what to expect. He gives his personal contact info - not just an office number and is available any time, or calls back promptly. So far in my journey with cancer, Dr. Karam has been my star of hope. I recommend him highly over any of the other surgeons at UCLA - or any other institution.

by SV on Aug 19th, 2010

What can I say about Dr.KaramI was diagnosed with breast cancer last November of 2009. It's been a long and a tough year for me. Should I say the most difficult year of my life. No, since I always feel there is someone out there who is suffering more and not having an access to amazing hospitals and doctors. Being diagnosed with age of 33 brings a whole new perspective to life not that I did not have one already. But that's a whole new story. I am here to talk about what a great human being first of all Dr.Karam is. I have been in and out of the hospital pretty much since I have been diagnosed. Chemo, surgery, radiation. My next doctor on a list was a gynocologist. I did not know much about Dr.Karam prior to meeting him. I am not going to lie when I first saw him I thought to myself, he is way to young to be a doctor :-)Human nature, we just love to judge before we even speak a word with a person. I learned my lesson really fast that day. After sitting with him for a while and I mean a while. He was the nicest person you could of ever meet. Did not rush me, answered all of my questions. But most of all he was sincere. It's really rare to see that in a doctor these days. After leaving his office I felt I was at a right place. I am not scared of the surgery I still have to do. I feel very comfortable knowing that he will be the one taking care of me that day. If anyone is looking for a incredible skills, smart and amazing human being look no more. I can honestly say I wish we can have more doctors as Dr.Amer Karam

|  Most Accessible Doctor Ever  |  show details
Apr 21st, 2010

Patient care I have received over the past year for breast surgery and follow-up has been the best I've ever received. Don't let his youthfulness put you off. He's very knowlegable on the medicine side and knows how to treat patients like human beings - a rare thing in this day-and-age, especially at a big hospital.

|  Absolutely Excellent Doctor  |  show details
Jan 3rd, 2010

The BEST Doctor that I have ever met in my life. He is very caring and compassionate with high technological skills. I truly feel lucky that he operated on me.

|  Very Satified Patient  |  show details
by Satisfied Patient on Nov 29th, 2009

Dr. Karam is an excellent physician. He is not only very knowledgeable but he has the bed side manner of a saint. He always treats you with respect and he takes time to answer ALL of your questions. He is defenitely the most compassionate person you will ever meet!!!! In Dr. Karam's care, you will get the best medical attention available today!!!!

Aug 30th, 2009

Very nice, polite to everyone, treats staff kindly and patients with compassion. Would recommend him above all others.

|  Perfect Bedside Mannter  |  show details
Aug 15th, 2009

He's the ultimate doctor. That's all I can say.

> > Patient Reviews