Dr. Amy Calhoun Is this you?

5 Ratings with 1 Comment

Neutral

Showing 5 Ratings with 1 Comment

April 15th, 2016

Opt for Children's Hospital or the Mayo instead

I took my child to Dr. Calhoun for genetics testing. I never heard back. 3 months later I got an odd phone call telling me that the lab at the U of M lost all of our baby's samples. ( 6 tubes). We had to return and undergo the tests again. Calhoun might be a smart doctor but she seems to be so smart, she is unable to relate, or communicate on a lay person's level. That does not mean she does not talk. She talks and talks and talks about personal things and seems surprised when you ask a medical question. Almost as if you broke her rhythm. My second visit went so poorly, I had to ask her to refer me somewhere else. Our 10:45 appointment let us out of her office at 2:30pm... and we got absolutely nothing done. She didn't even take the baby's vitals. What took so much time? We sat 45 minutes.. and then a student came in and asked permission to observe the appointment. Then the student sat down at the computer and asked me for my child's medical history and why was I there today? You can't get in to see this doctor without a referral from a U of M doctor so I told the med student.... I was willing to have her observe, but I was there to talk to the real doctor. and the reasons we were there for an appointment would be in the medical records of the 2 other U of M doctors in the SAME clinic who referred us. Calhoun came in 30 minutes later. Did a short check and told me she was sending in genetic counselors. Two came in and told me the test my baby should have cost $20,000 so I should come BACK after they called my insurance. You have to understand that I had already been there...when they lost my test results... and we already had approvals from insurance. We are talking genetics. Life and death issues. I asked for the doctor to come back and explain why she had not explained to me about a $20,000 test... and why she was having social workers tell me about it. What was the test? Why did we need it? The doctor was unable to answer me. ". She seemed to not understand I was asking her what was the test for. We actually never established this simple understanding. Seriously- this was the craziest doctor and office structure I have ever seen.

December 12th, 2015