Dr. Amy Banks MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.8

March 24th, 2016
Distracted, Cold, Arrogant
Dr. Banks was cold and at times quite distracted. She seemed primarily interested in establishing her own dominance. She was eager to be admired; that was clear. She listed her accolades at several points in early sessions. Seemed strangely oblivious to the fact that her attempts to affect bonhomie and to humble-brag were transparent. Dr. Banks was eerily incapable of "walking the talk" in any therapeutic regard. Hire her at your peril.

July 22nd, 2013
Unsubtle, not empathetic, not a good listener
It would be wonderful to work with a female psychiatrist who genuinely cares about her clients and who has the emotional authenticity, humility, and intellectual self-awareness to genuinely listen to her clients. Sadly, Amy Banks is not that person. I have been very fortunate to work, both personally and professionally, with women and men who *do* possess those qualities. Without them, I would never have begun to reach my potential. I also count myself lucky to have seen through Banks well before I'd gained much experience in either psychotherapeutic or psychiatric work. Please don't give up if you are looking for a truly qualified psychiatrist or psychotherapist. But *don't* do yourself the disservice of consulting this one. Trust your instincts and intuition. I'm glad *I* did.

July 1st, 2013
Self-serving, uncaring
This provider kept trying to convince me to consult a doctor whose work has long been prominently exposed by leading psychiatrists and the APA as highly questionable (google Washington Post and Daniel Amen). Just the fact that she was so involved professionally in recommending this guy became very concerning to me. It's not a good feeling to sense that a psychiatrist with whom you're trying to build trust and rapport has (what I would call) so little respect for your intelligence or well-being. At one point I even wondered if the fact that I'm financially well off inspired her to recommend the Amen clinic with such near-evangelical fervor. Also, she just seemed surprisingly flat-affected and without empathy. The values she professed-- the importance of relationship and tolerance-- seemed empty. I'm sorry, but I would strongly dis-recommend this provider.

June 20th, 2013
Self-involved, narrow-minded, hypocritical, narcissistic, pathologically ambitious
I found it chilling that this provider was so patently insensitive and so incapable of interest in a client on even the most basic level. In a profession infamous for its workers' lack of self-awareness or understanding of what a mutually respectfulful therapeutic alliance is and why it matters, Banks is in the 99th percentile of inadequacy. Just as I had her pegged as merely one of the worst examples of psychiatric club-swingery, she managed to debase the interaction even further by invoking the work of an absolute quack, Daniel Amen. Although Banks' basic spiel is that she combines psychiatric expertise with feminist and relational values, nothing could be further from the truth. Jean Baker Miller would turn over in her grave if she knew what kind of power-hungry antics are being practiced by Banks under the aegis of "relational cultural theory." Respect yourself and avoid this provider.

April 1st, 2013
Sadly, my report on Dr. Banks is quite negative. When I first met her I was under the impression that she was a kind, caring Doc. Over time I began to see how dangerous an individual she really is - engaging patients, developing trust, only to drop them when it suits her own, personal agenda. The greatest irony regarding Dr. Banks is that her research and areas of interest would suggest that she cares and UNDERSTANDS the delicate nature of the brain and the importance of social responsibility with respect to the dignity of each and every person. Be very careful of this so-called "doctor." She did a great deal of damage to me, personally. I pray for her a great deal. I sincerely hope that someday she will rise above the hypocrisy of her seminars on the important of human connection, and perhaps take the time to reflect on the ways in which she has caused injury to others by her violent "disconnections" and absence of responsibility.One positive outcome of the time spent with Dr. Banks was that the experience freed me from the bondage of psychotherapy, psychiatry, and the like. I have not set foot in a Dr's office in over 6 years. It never ceases to amaze me that someone with so much education could be so blind to such obvious abuse. She carries on as if she believes that injury to patients, even one patient, does not matter. On the contrary. We are sacred beings of inestimable worth. EVERYONE matters. One does not "get that" from attending the seminars.

May 10th, 2012
Very knowledgeable and caring. Clear understanding of her stated field of expertise.

May 9th, 2011
Dr. Banks really helped me get through some difficult times...one of the most authentic, caring doctors I have ever me.

April 18th, 2011
Excellent doc
Dr. Banks is a caring, intelligent doc. She will teach you about your brain, and treat you like a whole human being. The field of psychiatry needs more like her.

August 30th, 2010
The most Relational Psychiatrist
amy is doubtless the most caring psychiatrist I have ever met. she is able to come to a problem from multiple directions with great warmth and gentleness without being too quick or being too out of pace with my needs. I can honestly say that I would not be who I am today were it not for Amy Banks