Dr. Amy Gerhard Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Amy Gerhard?

Binge Eating Disorder

Binge Eating Disorder

Have you seen Dr. Amy Gerhard?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

February 8th, 2016

Very pleased to have Dr. Gerhard as my PCP

August 28th, 2015

I accompanied my dad on his visits to see Dr. Gerhard after a nearly fatal case of pneumonia. At his first visit, she switched him from the COPD medication prescribed by his pulmonologist to Spiriva. I don't know whether she forgot that he had prostate problems or if she was simply incompetent because she failed to warn us to watch for "signs and symptoms of prostatic hyperplasia or bladder-neck obstruction (e.g., difficulty passing urine, painful urination)." The FDA safety information for Spiriva clearly states that doctors should "(i)nstruct patients to consult a physician immediately should any of these signs or symptoms develop." It wasn't until the home health nurse checked in a few days later that I learned about this potential problem at which point, it wasn't a potential problem any more. My dad had barely urinated since he started taking Spiriva. He did not tell me (it was very difficult for my independent dad to ask for help) and I did not know to ask him. Instead he foolishly decided to double his prostate meds to compensate, which dropped his BP to scary levels. If Dr. Gerhard had done her job, this situation either wouldn't have happened or when it did, we would have taken immediate action to safeguard his health. I found her behavior towards my dad condescending. She also belittled my concerns for my dad. When I relayed instructions from my dad's neurologist (he had been diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment) that he should have his thyroid levels checked, she leaned towards my dad, put her hand on his knee and said, "I guess your daughter wants us to poke you with needles." I was so stunned by her inappropriate and, IMO, unprofessional comment, that I didn't know what to say. After a few more medical screw-ups, I finally convinced my dad that he needed to change doctors. My brother and I had zero faith in her ability to care for our dad. Unfortunately, the switch came too late. Shortly after he started seeing his new doctor, he was diagnosed with advanced stage lung cancer and died 10 days after diagnosis. As my dad's health advocate, I did the very best I could for him but since I'm not a medical professional, I could only do so much. If Dr. Gerhard had been proactive on my dad's behalf, the cancer might have been caught sooner and he might have had a fighting chance at sticking around a while longer. It's impossible to know the answers to these ifs but it would have been nice for him to have had that chance.

May 26th, 2014

WORSE DOCTOR EVER - DO NOT GO TO

she misdiagnosed me and I was treated for a condition I did not have until I got sicker and the er doctor properly diagnosed me and treated me.

March 29th, 2017