Surgical Specialist
Video profile
12319 N Mopac Expy
Suite C150
Austin, TX 78758
Locations and availability (3)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  He Saved My Life!  |  show details
by Catherine M. on Mar 20th, 2014

I was in a coma--Dr. Patel installed a shunt and saved my life. It took a month for me to wake up, but today I am a fully functioning individual thanks to Dr. Patel! Later that year he found the source of my infection and removed it.

|  DBS Surgery for PD  |  show details
Jul 6th, 2012

Remarkable surgeon; generally speaking:for neurosurgeon (many of whom have difficulty with bedside manner) Patel was very compassionate and yet honest with before and after procedure communication. My operation took 9 1/2 hours when the average time is approx 4 hrs...my point being..he didn't give up nor allow other surgeries push me out of the way. The results were not perfect (1 mm off the target on the right stm), but the results would have far worse had he persevered with me. I am writing this 5.5 years after the brain surgery I would consider him to be A1 rating in my case.

|  Best Surgeon in Austin  |  show details
Mar 29th, 2010

I was refered to Dr. Patel in June of 2007, after one of my disc's had ruptured and caused a Cauda equina problem for me. I had been having problems with the L5/S1 disc for two and one half years when it happened and had gotten to the point where I couldn't walk with out assistance. After the surgery I was thrilled to find that I not only could walk but didn't need as much of the pain killers as I had in the past. This lasted for two more years when unfortunately the two disc's above the L5/S1 started degenerating very quickly and I am now in need of further surgery. I wish I could have Dr. Patel do the surgery I require now since I feel completely secure in his hands, but he doesn't take my insurance, it was a one time emergency situation before, and as much as I like him I don't want to have to have another 6 hour emergency surgery on my back. Maybe with Obama Care he will be forced to accept my insurance again. One can hope, right. I have a new surgeon, who will do the next surgery, but again he is an unknown which makes me a little nervous.

|  Helped me walk again  |  show details
by Cheryl Stephenson on Oct 15th, 2009

I had two falls in Austin while I was away from my home. Dr. Patel performed Kypoplasty on me or I would not have been able to get on the plane to go home. I did not see him as often in the hospital as I would have liked, but i was impressed with the time and attention he gave when he came to my room. I believe he is a brilliant man and surgeon.

|  Best "back doctor" in Austin!  |  show details
by Platinum-haired platinum-head...@:-) on Sep 26th, 2008

I was very lucky to have been guided to this surgeon. After many back problems over the years and finally stenosis to the point of being incompacitated, he recommended laminectomy. After a more complex surgery than expected, I came out of it fine and can already see many improvements since surgery only 2 wks ago! Not only is Dr. Patel experienced and knowledgeable, but he really cares for his patient and makes certain things are done for the best possible outcome. I would rate Dr. Patel the best back doctor in Austin!