Some ratings provided by Doctor.com. DrScore.
Unecessary surgery and aftercare poor show details Unecessary surgery and aftercare poor
May 19th, 2016

I had dealt with pain in one foot for over 3 years. Other doctors tried to help, but in the end, told me surgery would not help. They thought it was nerve related. Done the orthotics, cortisone, PT etc.. Although frustrated, I kept hope that someone could help me and continued my search to minimize my pain. Dr. Brief was recommended to me. I went to him and he recommended surgery. I told him I had young kids and other doctors said not to do it. I also said that while I can walk with pain, I cannot afford to not be able to walk or have more pain. I was fearful or surgery. I know no one can guarantee a result but he said that there should be not issue and I will not be any worse off. I trusted him. I agreed to let him take my sesamoid bone out. After surgery I had the exact same pain, plus the new pain from the scar tissue from the surgical site. I also have a harder time walking and doing everyday things. When I saw him after and told him I was worse, his answer was go see a pain dr. That is not an answer. He was done with me. Plus, to add insult to injury, Dr. Brief did the surgical incision on the bottom of my foot, not the top. When I went to other foot specialists to seek additional help, they expressed shock that he did the surgery from the bottom of my foot; why do an incision on the bottom? Because its easier for the doctor. If he had done it from the top, I would not have pain at the surgical sight scar tissue; I walk on it every day. I was also told that I would need orthotics for the rest of my life. Plus, now that the bone was gone, my big toe will shift in place which will lead to MORE surgery. Another piece of information he left out when talking to me about surgery. So the performed was in my unnecessary, the original pain exists in full form and was not caused by the sesamoid AND I question his technique; to minimize my future pain or warn me about any of the ramifications of taking the bone out. Trust me I asked. Maybe he didn’t know but before you do something of this magnitude, you should find out. While I can walk, I can only wear one type of sneaker and no nice shoes. I can’t keep up with my kids or walk for exercise anymore. He turned my life upside down. I regret every going to him. Do your research! Don't believe that you need surgery. He made me believe he had the answer and I needed one. My mistake and I am suffering for it now.

Over Confident show details Over Confident
by Anonymous on Jan 28th, 2016

3 1/2 years after surgery, I still suffer with pain and an altered gait. When I mentioned to Dr B that the his mentor, the Chief of Surgery at Hosp for Special Surgery, Dr Deland, said not to proceed and disagreed with the diagnosis, he barely flinched. A good doctor would have at least paused and considered the concerns. Dr Deland was absolutely right about all the problems that would arise if I went through with the surgery. Every day I wish I had listened but I was in pain and Dr B's "let's do all 4 procedures at once" attitude was convincing. 4 months into recovery, he made it clear that I was to move on, leaving me in tears. I know he's forgotten me, but I think about him with every painful step.

The worst to follow up after the surgery. show details The worst to follow up after the surgery.
Dec 14th, 2015

He did not spend time with me after the surgery. He gave me very wrong expectation of recovery time.

Dr Andrew Brief show details Dr Andrew Brief
by Lisa on Dec 14th, 2015

I had emergency surgery with Dr. Brief 1 1/2 years ago. My entire experience starting with his physicians assistant that showed up in the emergency 30 minutes after we called him to my 3rd and last surgery (hopefully) has been an excellent experience. From the minute I met him I felt comfortable that I was fortunate enough to not only have found a great surgeon to do my surgery, but then he was in my insurance. His bedside manner is of the utmost professional and he explains everything so you throughly understand it. In the days, weeks and months after my surgery, his nurse Holly was also amazing. No matter when I called or for what I got a call back almost immediately. I feel Dr. Brief is an amazing Doctor/surgeon and I would highly recommend him to anyone needing ankle surgery. There is not one, even slightly negative comment I can make about him or his entire staff.

3 C's: Competent, Caring & Cautious show details 3 C's: Competent, Caring & Cautious
Nov 16th, 2012

Dr. Brief takes the time to answer ALL questions. He performed surgery on my left foot 3 years ago. I have returned for a much needed surgery on my right foot. I have total trust in him.

Osteoarticular Transfer System show details Osteoarticular Transfer System
Oct 17th, 2012

BEST DOCTOR!!!! I cannot express on here how amazing of a doctor Dr. Brief is. If it were not for Dr. Brief's dedication to fixing my right ankle after having another surgeon botch it, I would not be walking right now. Thanks to him I am able to walk, drive, and run after my toddler. His genuine concern and bedside manner is AMAZING! He puts his patients at ease with his vast knowledge and expertise. I have and will recommend him to everyone. I will not see another orthopedist ever again.

Big Toe Surgery show details Big Toe Surgery
Feb 10th, 2012

I was very hesitant and went through so much research on trying to find the right doctor to perform surgery on my big toe. I had seen at least five other doctors before seeing Dr. Brief and all of them pretty much didn't want to even try to correct the badly fractured dislocated toe. I am very happy to have found Dr. Brief if it wasn't for him I would have severe problems with my toe and even walking problems in the future. The surgery itself was terrible as far as the recovery one of the most painful experience I have ever had!!! It almost made me rethink the surgery all together since the pain was unbearable but I am so happy in the end that I did correct this problem. It was a very complicated fracture to fix but he was able to do it. My toe will never be the same as it was but it was fixed in the best possible way.

The best doctor ever! show details The best doctor ever!
Jul 18th, 2011

I broke my ankle and was taken to emergency room. I was so lucky, because Dr.Brief was the sergeon who operated on me. I had a very bad fracture but Dr. Brief was able to fix it perfectly, he has a gold hands and the scars looks like plastic sergeon was doing it. He is extremely nice, spends a lot of time with you, really listens. I wish all dotors were like him. I move to another state and really miss him.

May 5th, 2011

Wonderful doctor. Listens intently to your problem and proceeds to diagnose with precision and compassion. He explains every detail of your treatment to you. A true man of science and great bedside manner. No wonder his patients all think so highly of him.

One of a kind! show details One of a kind!
by Anonymous on Mar 23rd, 2011 on doctorsdig.com

Read Full Review at doctorsdig.com
Couldn't be any better show details Couldn't be any better
by T. Jones on Sep 16th, 2010

I had surgery on my foot the summer of 2007, and he was great before the surgery (letting me know everything would be fine) and after the surgery. He was very caring of how I was feeling during my follow up visit. I would definitely recommend seeing Dr. Brief.

Excellent Doctor show details Excellent Doctor
by Dianne R. Levi on Apr 5th, 2010

Excellent Doctor. No air of superiority that so many doctors display. Very well informed about new procedures.

Very caring show details Very caring
by cm on Feb 14th, 2010

He personally called after bunion surgery.Not many doctors do that today.

One of a kind! show details One of a kind!
by Jacob on Jan 17th, 2010

Dr. Brief is a one of a kind surgeon! He has great bedside manner, incredible knowledge, and sincerely cares about his patients! I flew from Tx to NJ to see Dr. Brief because I had a rare condition called Osteonecrosis and he was one of few surgeons that had the latest training on a rare procedure to try and save my hips and knees. Dr. Brief not only operated, but followed up with me and made sure that I was getting the best treatment possible. Having been operated on several times by many surgeons, I can say that there is no person I trust more than Dr. Andrew Brief! He's a brilliant surgeon and an even better person!

Jun 3rd, 2009

ordering therapy and advised certain types of orthotics. I have great faith in him had a severe cas of plantar fasciitis. I had been treated by three podiatrists, but it wasn't until I went to Dr. Brief and he gave me cortisone shots in the right places in my feet, that I have had somr recovery. He has also tried with recommending therapy