Dr. Andrew Conn Is this you?

20 Ratings • 1 Comment

Have you seen Dr. Andrew Conn?

First Do No Harm

Posted on November 19th, 2017

I went to Dr. Conn for a colonoscopy. I was referred to him by a gastroenterologist who was too busy to see me. Brief history: Three years earlier, I had a colonoscopy that revealed a precancerous polyp, so I was told I needed to come back in three years. Then I moved to a new location and had to find another doc to do the procedure. So I had tried two times within the previous 6 months to get a colonoscopy, but in both cases I was unable to tolerate the prep. On this third attempt, I was successful. Unhappily, Dr. Conn was not aware of this history because he had not reviewed my medical records, which seemed odd. So I advised him of my situation minutes before the procedure. During the procedure, I apparently aspirated some stuff into my lungs. In recovery, one of the nurses noticed my cough and asked me if I had it before the surgery. I advised her that I had not. She called over the anesthesiologist, who explained that I was coughing during the procedure, suggesting that I indeed had aspirated. Then Dr. Conn came by and began to complain that whoever had done a previous procedure had only partially removed a polyp, but seemed confused by what had occurred previously. So I explained that I had two polyps removed -- one three years ago that was precancerous and another just a few months back that was not. He said he couldn't be sure which polyp he was working on -- underscoring the importance of having someone's medical records prior to surgery, which, by the way, I had sent over to the referring gastroenterologist. Not knowing which polyp it was, meant he couldn't tell how fast it had grown. And since he was unable to completely remove the polyp (!) he wanted me to come back in three months to repeat the procedure. Bottom line is this: I am now on antibiotics for a lung infection, and I have to repeat the procedure because he only partially removed the polyp (remember he complained about someone who previously only partially removed a polyp). And bedside manner? If you want a doc who repeatedly walks away while you're mid-sentence and doesn't even ask how you're doing when you're obviously in distress, he's your guy.

Posted on October 30th, 2017