Overall Review

3.9

June 30th, 2016
Bait and Switch
I would not recommend going to this clinic. Dr. Akey is listed as an internal medicine doctor but you will end up seeing her physician assistance. Waste of time and money.

November 20th, 2015
excellent physicians
Dr. Akey and staff are excellent physicians that took the time to listen to me and my concerns. It was easy to get an appointment and the staff was courteous and friendly. I will definately recommend her and her PA and ARNP to all of my friends and family who are looking for a new physician.

November 20th, 2015
Would not recommend at all
I experienced the worst treatment with the office staff (sherry and Angela). What started out as a simple question ended in insults and the WORST service I have ever received. After I told the office manager I would no longer be seeing Dr. Akey she became even more rude and defensive informing me that this was not retail, this was a medical office and they don't have to have good customer service. Last time I checked, if I am paying you for a service then I am customer. Simple as that. You can rest assured I will tell everyone I know about the treatment I received here. And it is a shame because The interactions I've had with Dr.Akey leads me to believe she is a kind person. Unfortunately, with staff like this you just lost a "not customer."

August 21st, 2015
Refreshing to have a doctor that gets to know you as a person not just as a paitient

February 8th, 2015
stay away!
Her focus is money and self promotion. Patients are always double booked, and she is always rushed. most of the time I was in an interview room because exam rooms were full. She is more concerned about selling you supplements, diet books, and acupuncture rather than diagnosing and treating what really is going on. If you are one of those people who are paranoid about chemicals or do not believe in modern science, you will like it here. Otherwise I would not trust her with my medical issues.

December 6th, 2013
Avoid, unless you're looking for cosmetics
Dr Akey has a beautiful, expensive looking office, and is, herself, quite beautiful. That's about the only good thing I can say about her. I visited her for an initial appointment, for which the government was billed $600. She shook my hand an handed me off to a nurse practitioner. Her version of a history seems to be sending you a questionaire to fill out and filing it. The nurse practitioner didn't even have the questionaire I filled out when doing the intake exam. She took height, weight and blood pressure and asked me few questions, then prepared a supposed "plan" for me, based on a very cursory physical exam. This plan was written completely in doctor's shorthand. I had blood work done at their lab. When I requested that the results from this be sent to another doctor (including sending them a witnessed release form), they did nothing. I went for my appointment with the other doctor only to find he hadn't received the blood work results. Among the things the NP recommended, without consulting me about preferences was the paleo diet. Ok, so it's a trendy diet lots of people like. It's also an extremely expensive and demanding diet, which few people are able to stick on for very long, and I have long deliberately minimized meat consumption for moral and philosophical reasons. On the other hand, if you care about your doctor's looks and want to be able to get botox or facials from the same office as your medical care, she's a good choice.

July 31st, 2013
Patient
Getting older is not fun, and for so long I thought that getting older and feeling old was "just the way it had to be". Then someone referred me to Dr. Akey. I was skeptical at first because I've talked with other Internists, and without exception I was told the same story.."you're just getting older". Dr. Akey took a different approach. Rather than using a one-size-fits-all approach to my hormones, she started with the end in mind and asked me what I wanted for myself. I told her I just wanted to enjoy my aging process and not feel like it was a premature death sentance. Granted, insurance does not yet see the value of aggressive preventative care like Dr. Akey does, so I had to pay some cash, but I looked at this as the best investment I could possibly make. Without our health, what good are we? But who in their right mind wouldn't give up a latte a day over the course of a year to say "I feel so good again". Dr. Akey had me do a complete allergy test, and it turns out I was allergic to Gluten! And it was making me sick. She then had my blood drawn and identified my low testosterone, which other doctors said were fine. She was able to put me a safe, stable HRT and in 4 months I lost 25 lbs, got my strength and drive back, and feel like a new man. I eat better, take my supplements she recommends, and I exercise regularly. It takes someone not only who is smart, but someone who cares. Most doctors today cannot afford the time to treat a patient like me until I am really sick and need "fixing". Dr. Akey changed everything for me. She's a deeply spiritual, caring and intelligent professional. I can't wait to visit her in their new location!!

July 6th, 2013
The jury is still out about Dr. Akey. My initial observations is that she seems too self-promoting. She pretty makes you buy her book which is horribly written. Also, she puts you on all these supplements which she sells in her office. Can't stop but relate it to the many Amway promoting physicians back in the 90s. She acts rushed and at times jumps to a diagnosis before blood results. She insists on performing a saliva test to check for hormones despite the lack of evidentiary support as being reliable from the medical community. She second guesses other specialist's findings in other medical fields, making me, the patient, so confused and not knowing who to believe. I will give her a few more chances but can't say I trust her judgement like I have other doctors. I really hope I'm wrong and if I am, I will post about it.

April 29th, 2013
Was the best md in town- no longer
Brilliant. Respectful. But something has changed. More money focused and less pt focused. Sad. Was so good at one point.

January 22nd, 2013
Dr Akey is by far the best physician I've ever encountered!
Dr Akey truly LISTENS to her patients, asking about their real lives, as well as doing comprehensive diagnostic labs when needed, as part of her excellent diagnostic process. She makes excellent referrals as needed, including to surgeons who are best-in-field but who do not do surgery unless they deem it necessary (great way to avoid unnecessary surgeries). Dr. Akey is well-trained in nutritional support, which is nearly unheard of in MDs. She has also written an excellent book on Hormone Balancing, which she incorporates into her practice, and which has proven very helpful to numerous patients. Dr. Akey is by far the best diagnostician I've ever encountered - ensuring an accurate diagnosis first, to ensure proper treatment to create genuine health by treating the root cause of the problem (rather than merely treating symptoms, as most MDs do, which leaves patients still unwell but with fewer symptoms). I honestly could not give any physician a higher recommendation than Dr. Akey. Among her patients are other physicians and their families, which in Gainesville (major medical center) is the highest compliment in the medical community. I would happily pay cash to see her if insurance wouldn't cover it, but fortunately she does take insurance. Dr. Akey is a practitioner of the Healing Arts, rather than merely in the business of medicine, and she is experienced in Complementary Healing as well as traditional medicine. And her staff is also excellent and caring, with an office atmosphere that puts you at ease/feeling comfortable even while waiting, as well as while being seen. If she's accepting new patients, you couldn't do better than to have Dr. Akey as your primary care physician.

July 24th, 2012
Preventative and Proactive
Dr. Akey takes a preventative approach to medicine finding issues before they become problems. And she does it with passion. As a teacher, one notices very quickly that patient interaction is high on her list. She takes time with clear explanations on each visit. Her patient care and personal interest in people also comes across very well in her book. I am an avid athlete with what I thought was a healthy diet. She taught me so much about how to fine tune my Symphony. Thank you Dr. Akey!

July 9th, 2012
Outstanding
Dr. Akey has always been thorough in her physical and history examinations.