Surgeons, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hospital For Special Surgery
535 E 70th St
New York, NY 10021
646-797-8700
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

|  show details
Jun 17th, 2014

I was the first appointment of the day and a first time patient, and yet I waited over an hour to see him for all of five minutes. Initially two residents/assistants saw me for a combined time of five minutes. I submitted my paperwork well in advance of my visit and yet the staff could not find it. My test results/films were also available well in advance of my appointment, and yet no one seemed to have bothered to review them before my appointment.

|  Rude, Arrogant Doctor, and Staff Rude and Disorganized  |  show details
Jan 17th, 2014

I had a 7am Appt. for xray the office neglected to send the correct script - I had organized this visit a month in advance. The doctor had me waiting for 2 hours, I had an 8am appoinment w/him, I was kept waiting in the examining room for 1 1/2 hours, his assistants kept informing me every 20 minutes that he'd be with me momentarily. When I complained to the Doctor this is not very professional,he got rude and said "do you want to keep talking or do you want to hear your prognosis?" I heard him out and he left the room abruptly; the assistant took me to a room where a staff takes information for upcoming surgery w but wasn't given the specifics so she didn't know what I was there for; then I was told to make another appointment w/the doctor in another office where the assistant must have been on steroids she was aggressive and rude and asked me for papers the assistant was supposed to have given me. At that point I decided I was not going have this doctor operate on me!

|  Hip surgery/other issues  |  show details
Nov 20th, 2013

He's a fantastic surgeon and doctor. He did beautiful work with repairing my hip. After surgery, a few months later i developed abnormal fluid, he immediately had me come in and drained it out. He was very adamant about my past and said I had a borderline virus, he said I had to get a few tests done to make sure what was going on. He was very concerned with my condition and gave me specific instructions. It feels nice to have that care and the will to do anything in a quick matter to resolve the issue. His staff is incredibly nice and on top of their game. His assistant called me right after I had a few tests done that morning to tell me the results that late evening. They are always in contact with my physical therapist and keeping them in the loop. Every time i call them, they call me back right away. They even helped me get an appointment with another doctor to help with my virus. I would definitely recommend him. He is the best around and so is his team. I couldn't be happier this far helping resolve my condition.

|  Arrogant Bedside Manner  |  show details
Nov 14th, 2013

My experience was not pleasant. I had to travel miles to NY HSS and only spend less than 8-10 mins with the doctor. I have labrum tears and was informed by my PA orthopedics to go to NY HSS to the top specialist for repair of my hip tears. I shouldn't listen to my doctors bc I was very disappointed. I felt rushed and uncared due my complications of my labrum tears related to an accident. He did not do any surgery which I went there specifically to have done. Most likely it was due to being a victim of an accident and he didn't want to get involved. Thanks to the new health laws taking place next year, hopefully doctors will not denial seeing patients and treating them on the same level as those that are celebrities or sports professionals. I will not return and hopefully after reading my review, your think twice before seeing this doctor. Wasted my time and travel expenses to travel to see him! :(

|  Won't give an appointment  |  show details
Apr 23rd, 2013

tried making an appointment for my daughter who was told by another surgeon that she needs an osteotomy. Wouldn't give her an appointment unless she had an MRI and was guaranteed to need surgery??????????

|  show details
Nov 24th, 2012

He was rude. I waited over 2 hours for less than 10 minutes of his time. He actually looked at his watch after 5 minutes.Go elsewhere!!!!!

|  Not recommended  |  show details
Jun 20th, 2012

This doctor has a huge practice , so has no time for his patients , he has a battalion of trainee doctors, who all roam araound with him on patient vists , some of them are ok , but most are rude and arrogant. the doctor has no time for you , he comes he asks and speaks and leaves in less than 5 minutes after you have waited for more than 2 months to get an appointment ! and 45 minutes in his waiting room. his fellow doctors are awful , esp an assistant doctor PRIYA is the worst , Iam yet to meet anyone that arrogant ! He may be a good doctor , but he dosent answer my questions and i have to deal with his assistants and wait for too long , i would not want to go back , iam his paitent for last 3 years , now i have lost my patience !

|  Intelligent lights on.  |  show details
Jun 15th, 2011

i had been diagnosed with a "cyst" which needed aspiration. I was not confident in the diagnosis, and found Dr. Ranawat and HSS after researching orthopedics online. My daughters were near and i got on the plane to nYC. They squeezed me in to radiography, and ultimatley was referred to another Dr at memorial Sloan Kettering for removal of what appeared to be a cancerous lesion. Both Ranawatand his referral were the most adept doctors. The tumor was removed and found not to be cancerous. I am back this year for terrible pain ranging from my back to foot. The diagnosis is rolling in and i see him Friday and am awaiting a referral for my back problem. I am away from my home, but so happy to be in the hands of a competent physician. This doctor and his staff especially ANA really supported me during a very difficult time and was spot on in his referral. i don't know what is in store for my knee, but I know he will use his best judgement, as this is not a straight forward case.

|  Best Doctor  |  show details
May 16th, 2011

He repaired my hip torn labrum. He is the best doctor.

|  Severe knee trauma, ACL/ PCL reconstruction, MCL repair  |  show details
Dec 22nd, 2010

Dr.Ranawat and Prya are the best. Dr. Ranawat has been caring for my son for over 1 year now. He has performed many ligament surgeries to reconstruct my son's knee after a severe injury. He has never faltered and worked tirelessly to repair my son's leg. So far he has repaired his MCL, reconstructed his ACL and PCL, performed meniscus surgery and so much more. Of course my son would say he's most impressed with Dr. Ranawat's good bedside manner and sense of humor, but I would say I am most impressed with the wonderful follow-up care he has given my son. I am so grateful Dr. Ranawat handled every aspect of my son's case, from wound healing, to consultations with other specialists, to even changing my son's first post-op dressings. More impressive than that - Dr. Ranawat always made his own rounds to see my son in the hospital, he never sent someone else in his place! He has gone above and beyond for us. Thanks to Dr. Ranawat my son is able to walk again.

|  The doctor with golden hands  |  show details
Nov 15th, 2010

Dr. Anil Ranawat was very professional. The operation on my knee was very complicated. I was worried I would not be able to bend my knee after the operation, but I had nothing to worry about. I can bend my knee very well and it is getting better every day! Dr Ranawat has golden hands my leg is perfect!

|  makoplasty 06/15/10  |  show details
by L. Cohen on Jun 22nd, 2010

I was told over 2 years ago that I needed a tka. Never comfortable with the idea I was constantly researching newer procedures on the web . I came across Dr Ranawats name and am so glad I waited to find him, just sorry it took me so long. From the first visit he gave me all the time I needed to explain different procedures and options. Together we decided on what was best for me a makoplasty. He has an excellent staff that returns all calls in a very timely manner and takes care of all post op needs. I was very concerned about the pain having heard horror stories- Dr Ranawat assured me the staff at HSS would be on top of it and they were. I needed pain medication only 1 day after I got home. I think the gameready is an integral part of the recovery. I am now looking forward to instead of dreading the day I can get my other knee done.