Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Video profile

Part 2 show details Part 2
by Alexandra on Apr 22nd, 2015

I wasn't able to amend the post after I submitted it but the important point I wanted to note was that when I provided reports from the world's leading doctor on EDS plus reiterated to Dr Anil that I have EDS (and I have more than one type) he said "yeah well everyone thinks they have EDS" and laughed. Just so unbelievable when I have slipped discs all down my neck and back at age 37?! I have them due to EDS. Clearly he did not believe me as all this came after the hip exam so essentially I ended up getting badly physically hurt and insulted by his very childish and offensive comments....I felt it was too important to leave this part out. Perhaps Dr Anil would like to call the world's leading expert on connective tissue disorders as well as a top Cornell geneticist, who also diagnosed me, and while he's at it start asking patients with disabilities to bring along genetic test results to prove their mutated genes and disabilities actually exist?! Perhaps he will also learn to stop performing only partial rudimentary elements of tests that he clearly knows nothing about....I hope and pray no one has to defend a disability again as I liken this kind of behavior to harassment! Very very distressing. He ended up telling me I definitely have EDS from one tiny finger test he conducted. Beyond ridiculous! It was obvious from his conduct that he knows the verbiage relating to EDS and that's about all and wanted to try to show off his prowess relating to EDS. More patient care needed and less focus on ordering MRI's and PT sessions at places where he gets financially remunerated. Something else I would warn others to look out for also....I believe it is very dangerous when somebody starts developing a God like complex as this is when mistakes start to be made.

A show details A
by Alexandra on Apr 7th, 2015

I was interested to read some recent reviews of Dr Ranawat and his team given that the last reviews were all in 2014 and some sudden new "good" reviews started to appear a couple of months ago. Perhaps this means that a radical change or approach is underway as the previous reviews were not good. I have also been advised that a lot of negative feedback was received in relation to this practice and I have heard this from two sources now. Firstly, I will say that James the assistant at the practice is a very courteous and professional gentleman. No doubt he creates a great impression for the practice as he follows up, is patient and kind and just thoroughly a good chap! However my overall experience was rather shocking and I feel it is important to report it. I always take the time to write feedback - good and bad. I feel it is important for other patients and have fortunately met some wonderful doctors also. That being said this was NOT one of them. When I first arrived a medical PA called Rachael Taylor came into the room and I told her about my Ehlers Danlos diagnosis. Briefly, this is a collagen mutation that leaves the sufferer with weak ligaments and more prone to injury. I had noticed a clicking right hip when I raised my knee with a small amount of discomfort around the buttocks but no issues at all with the left hip AND NO PAIN. I was trying to get myself checked out after my recent EDS diagnosis just to be preventative mainly and learn now to strengthen the hip etc. Most EDS patients also suffer from abnormal hip morphology i.e. hip dysplasia and hip impingement issues. Having taken the time to explain this to Miss Taylor as well as emailing my reports to them they were promptly ignored. This was evident by the time Dr Ranawat made it into the room as he said " I hear you have bad hips for a while and I had to correct him and say no not at all -just a slight twinge in the right hip !" This was just one example of the time wasting exercise of sending in Miss Taylor firstly to take notes only to explain it all over again to the doctor. Miss Taylor then subjected me to a very aggressive hip exam. No doubt, the two doctors will put a different spin on it but I was NOT apprehensive about hip exams before this test and I trusted they knew what they were doing with an EDS patient. I had previously had 3 other hip exams by true EDS professionals and always tested negative for the impingement test, had good range of motion and reports stating no hip issues just hyperbole. And more importantly 0 pain afterwards. I was always careful to protect my hips and joints also with day to day living as I grew up with my best friend in England as a PT so she used to tell me how to protect your joints etc :) Miss Taylor went beyond forceful with her exam but I assumed they knew what they were doing so let her move the hip out of range etc. When she attempted the internal rotation move., I had my usual reaction of knowing my hip had a certain "range" but she said "now just take a deep breath" and held my hip down and forced it beyond it's range as well as pushing her full weight onto me while holding my knee into my chest - again way too much force. I still had no reaction and was told I had "great range of motion" and no impingement issues at this precise moment. Looking back the force of this exam was beyond ridiculous! Dr Anil Ranawat then came in and questioned if I even had EDS. He walked across the room and, unannounced, grabbed my hand and started bending my pinky finger back. For clarification, this is just 1 element of a test called the "Beighton score" that a rheumatologist typically performs to diagnose EDS. You don't bend the finger back past range but gently ask the patient to push their finger back to see how far it will extend to test for hypermobility. An expert also knows you typically ask the patient to perform this as you can literally dislocate an EDS patient especially if you do not even tell them you are going to do this?! It was a joke! I said "ow what are you doing" and he said "checking to see if you have EDS" I was stunned. I replied no need to check as I HAVE EDS....I have told you I have and have provided all the doctor reports and MRI's showing my slipped discs also?! Imagine a cancer patient (who looks ok on the outside) being doubted if they really did have cancer..I honestly think it is offensive and extremely unprofessional. EDS is in the same family as MS and it a horrible disease to contend with aside from having to deal with nonsense like this. Thankfully for those days when I think did I actually imagine all this awful stuff happened I have the emails with James where he confirms Dr Anil had to do the Beighton score on you. Errr why??!! I have EDS and how disrespectful to doubt me on this....I am then subjected to ANOTHER hip exam and told I had great range of motion and no impingement issues. They had asked to do X-rays as a standard check and I asked if we could do an MRI instead as I had so many scans and X-rays of late and it was my reproductive region and someone has told to avoid them due to too much radiation. Dr Anil then said that "was a bunch of hocus pocus" and told me that I clearly had a "pathological fear" Oddly I went to another appointment at HSS after this and when I asked for an elbow CT scan at the same time as the hip CT scan they ordered the doctor said "you shouldn't have so much radiation" Now either there was something in what I said and I am not wrong in saying this or doctors all know each other and have been mocking me in saying this. Either way it is just plain unprofessional. I did not mean to offend anyone but I merely said would it be ok to have an MRI instead as with all of my neck issues I had been given countless X-rays and scans to check and re-check and I want to avoid any more. Within 30 minutes of leaving I had the worst pain of my life and my stomach blew up ( I had to take photos it was THAT bad) and I had excruciating groin pain which I never had before in my life. I literally could not walk for 3 weeks and the clicking in my right hip that was just there when I lifted my knee with no pain is now there when I walk on the side of my hip and my left hip clicks and hurts and it never previously did?! I have since discovered I have femoral impingement and have probably got away with it for years as I don't tend to ever hyperextend and internally rotate my hip too much! I also only ever did the rowing machine and swimming and no real hip rotational exercises by sheer luck. I have also never had anyone manhandle me as Rachael Taylor did. I sound very upset here and I really am as labral tears were obviously created. I have been told I now have labral tears on both hips. I truly believe as the hip has not progressed or degenerated in any other way that this was a new injury and as the pain and clicking now never goes I am likely feeling the impingement as the tears are now present. You can have no symptoms for years if you don't have a tear. Severe internal rotation way beyond my range caused this no matter what they say. Hip flexion and internal rotation leads to maximum contact between the anterosuperior femoral head-neck junction and the acetabular labrum, especially when there is not enough clearance to avoid friction. Labral tears can absolutely be caused by extreme shear forces from excessive internal rotation. It's really sad as I understand accidents happen but to come into an appointment and tell someone about your disease, be disbelieved and then subjected to an aggressive exam and not only once but two times when you are telling someone you have weak ligaments is really really poor in my opinion. To me Dr Ramwat came across as more interested in telling me what he knew about the hip comparing "hips to steak" and showing off what he knew than in caring for his patient. His medical assistant should have never examined me if she didn't know about Ehlers Danlos either and perhaps I wouldn't be in this position today. My advice would be stay away but I can imagine everyone is on their best behaviour right now so if this means the next patients gets kindness, understanding and a more gentle examination then I am happy. Dr Ranawat should LISTEN more to his patients, take them at their word and take the time to converse with his medical assistant before walking into a room. Personally, Rachael Taylor should steer clear of examining elderly or disabled patients full stop. I wouldn't want anyone to go through this....it's not right at all :(

You cannot find better care than Dr.R and HSS show details You cannot find better care than Dr.R and HSS
by Jack moran on Apr 4th, 2015

I had a core decompression/laborum repair of my right hip on 12/3/14. I have never had a better experience with a do tor and his staff they are extremely helpful courteous and genuinely care for your well being and recovery.i am a 35 year old man i have osteonecrisis i. My hips and kness and Dr.R has done everything to save my hip and not have a replacement at such a young age.you will not find a better doctor or staff....i will never go anywhere else..also bospital for special surgery is an amazing place,other than my surgery infelt like i was staying in a hotel i was so impressed by their level of care and in my opinion it cannot be matched....

by Wldiller on Apr 3rd, 2015

Great care for my son who tore his acl and meniscus last summer. It was a well organized team. Dr Ranawat said the right things to my son and established good rapport.

There is no other caring professional in his expertise like HIM! show details There is no other caring professional in his expertise like HIM!
by Carol Carter-Mims on Mar 25th, 2015

The BEST Professional, inter-personal skills, caring for his patients, just a wonderful individual to knows and have in your corner.

Shoulder Surgery show details Shoulder Surgery
by Gina Aviles on Mar 24th, 2015

I was incredibly pleased with Dr. Anil Ranawat. He performed rotator cuff, bicep reattachment and something more. I recommend Dr. Anil Ranawat to all of my friends and family. He is exceptional.

Jun 17th, 2014

I was the first appointment of the day and a first time patient, and yet I waited over an hour to see him for all of five minutes. Initially two residents/assistants saw me for a combined time of five minutes. I submitted my paperwork well in advance of my visit and yet the staff could not find it. My test results/films were also available well in advance of my appointment, and yet no one seemed to have bothered to review them before my appointment.

Rude, Arrogant Doctor, and Staff Rude and Disorganized show details Rude, Arrogant Doctor, and Staff Rude and Disorganized
Jan 17th, 2014

I had a 7am Appt. for xray the office neglected to send the correct script - I had organized this visit a month in advance. The doctor had me waiting for 2 hours, I had an 8am appoinment w/him, I was kept waiting in the examining room for 1 1/2 hours, his assistants kept informing me every 20 minutes that he'd be with me momentarily. When I complained to the Doctor this is not very professional,he got rude and said "do you want to keep talking or do you want to hear your prognosis?" I heard him out and he left the room abruptly; the assistant took me to a room where a staff takes information for upcoming surgery w but wasn't given the specifics so she didn't know what I was there for; then I was told to make another appointment w/the doctor in another office where the assistant must have been on steroids she was aggressive and rude and asked me for papers the assistant was supposed to have given me. At that point I decided I was not going have this doctor operate on me!

Hip surgery/other issues show details Hip surgery/other issues
Nov 20th, 2013

He's a fantastic surgeon and doctor. He did beautiful work with repairing my hip. After surgery, a few months later i developed abnormal fluid, he immediately had me come in and drained it out. He was very adamant about my past and said I had a borderline virus, he said I had to get a few tests done to make sure what was going on. He was very concerned with my condition and gave me specific instructions. It feels nice to have that care and the will to do anything in a quick matter to resolve the issue. His staff is incredibly nice and on top of their game. His assistant called me right after I had a few tests done that morning to tell me the results that late evening. They are always in contact with my physical therapist and keeping them in the loop. Every time i call them, they call me back right away. They even helped me get an appointment with another doctor to help with my virus. I would definitely recommend him. He is the best around and so is his team. I couldn't be happier this far helping resolve my condition.

Arrogant Bedside Manner show details Arrogant Bedside Manner
Nov 14th, 2013

My experience was not pleasant. I had to travel miles to NY HSS and only spend less than 8-10 mins with the doctor. I have labrum tears and was informed by my PA orthopedics to go to NY HSS to the top specialist for repair of my hip tears. I shouldn't listen to my doctors bc I was very disappointed. I felt rushed and uncared due my complications of my labrum tears related to an accident. He did not do any surgery which I went there specifically to have done. Most likely it was due to being a victim of an accident and he didn't want to get involved. Thanks to the new health laws taking place next year, hopefully doctors will not denial seeing patients and treating them on the same level as those that are celebrities or sports professionals. I will not return and hopefully after reading my review, your think twice before seeing this doctor. Wasted my time and travel expenses to travel to see him! :(

Won't give an appointment show details Won't give an appointment
Apr 23rd, 2013

tried making an appointment for my daughter who was told by another surgeon that she needs an osteotomy. Wouldn't give her an appointment unless she had an MRI and was guaranteed to need surgery??????????

Nov 24th, 2012

He was rude. I waited over 2 hours for less than 10 minutes of his time. He actually looked at his watch after 5 minutes.Go elsewhere!!!!!

Not recommended show details Not recommended
Jun 20th, 2012

This doctor has a huge practice , so has no time for his patients , he has a battalion of trainee doctors, who all roam araound with him on patient vists , some of them are ok , but most are rude and arrogant. the doctor has no time for you , he comes he asks and speaks and leaves in less than 5 minutes after you have waited for more than 2 months to get an appointment ! and 45 minutes in his waiting room. his fellow doctors are awful , esp an assistant doctor PRIYA is the worst , Iam yet to meet anyone that arrogant ! He may be a good doctor , but he dosent answer my questions and i have to deal with his assistants and wait for too long , i would not want to go back , iam his paitent for last 3 years , now i have lost my patience !

Intelligent lights on. show details Intelligent lights on.
Jun 15th, 2011

i had been diagnosed with a "cyst" which needed aspiration. I was not confident in the diagnosis, and found Dr. Ranawat and HSS after researching orthopedics online. My daughters were near and i got on the plane to nYC. They squeezed me in to radiography, and ultimatley was referred to another Dr at memorial Sloan Kettering for removal of what appeared to be a cancerous lesion. Both Ranawatand his referral were the most adept doctors. The tumor was removed and found not to be cancerous. I am back this year for terrible pain ranging from my back to foot. The diagnosis is rolling in and i see him Friday and am awaiting a referral for my back problem. I am away from my home, but so happy to be in the hands of a competent physician. This doctor and his staff especially ANA really supported me during a very difficult time and was spot on in his referral. i don't know what is in store for my knee, but I know he will use his best judgement, as this is not a straight forward case.

Best Doctor show details Best Doctor
May 16th, 2011

He repaired my hip torn labrum. He is the best doctor.

Severe knee trauma, ACL/ PCL reconstruction, MCL repair show details Severe knee trauma, ACL/ PCL reconstruction, MCL repair
Dec 22nd, 2010

Dr.Ranawat and Prya are the best. Dr. Ranawat has been caring for my son for over 1 year now. He has performed many ligament surgeries to reconstruct my son's knee after a severe injury. He has never faltered and worked tirelessly to repair my son's leg. So far he has repaired his MCL, reconstructed his ACL and PCL, performed meniscus surgery and so much more. Of course my son would say he's most impressed with Dr. Ranawat's good bedside manner and sense of humor, but I would say I am most impressed with the wonderful follow-up care he has given my son. I am so grateful Dr. Ranawat handled every aspect of my son's case, from wound healing, to consultations with other specialists, to even changing my son's first post-op dressings. More impressive than that - Dr. Ranawat always made his own rounds to see my son in the hospital, he never sent someone else in his place! He has gone above and beyond for us. Thanks to Dr. Ranawat my son is able to walk again.

The doctor with golden hands show details The doctor with golden hands
Nov 15th, 2010

Dr. Anil Ranawat was very professional. The operation on my knee was very complicated. I was worried I would not be able to bend my knee after the operation, but I had nothing to worry about. I can bend my knee very well and it is getting better every day! Dr Ranawat has golden hands my leg is perfect!

makoplasty 06/15/10 show details makoplasty 06/15/10
by L. Cohen on Jun 22nd, 2010

I was told over 2 years ago that I needed a tka. Never comfortable with the idea I was constantly researching newer procedures on the web . I came across Dr Ranawats name and am so glad I waited to find him, just sorry it took me so long. From the first visit he gave me all the time I needed to explain different procedures and options. Together we decided on what was best for me a makoplasty. He has an excellent staff that returns all calls in a very timely manner and takes care of all post op needs. I was very concerned about the pain having heard horror stories- Dr Ranawat assured me the staff at HSS would be on top of it and they were. I needed pain medication only 1 day after I got home. I think the gameready is an integral part of the recovery. I am now looking forward to instead of dreading the day I can get my other knee done.