Dr. Anita Antoniolli MD Patient Reviews

• General Surgery Sylvania, OH

4.7

April 28th, 2015
To all my sisters in the Toledo Area--Tread carefully with this surgeon--!!!!
In 2006,after two mamms, I was directed to Anita L. by St. Luke's radiology. My GP was not notified--which I did not know. AL performed a stereotactic core biopsy in two areas in my left breast. After diagnosis, AL called me on my cell phone while I was at work and with background noise of "screaming and crying babies"--she told me "I'm sorry--but you have cancer". It was that direct and cold. Imagine the shock--and with the "screaming babies" in the background. I was in a severe state of shock. She scheduled me for an office visit during which she told me I should have a "DOUBLE MASTECTOMY" not a lumpectomy. Even though only one breast had been biopsied--because -- (her reasoning) I could have reconstruction surgery done at the same time and . . . my insurance would cover the costs. She provided me with the name of a plastic surgeon who would do the reconstruction surgery. She was cold and kept telling me that she was trying to open a "Breast Care Center" in the Toledo area and she had to leave--to be at another appointment--and that she did not have any more time for me. I think she does her best to totally freak her patients out so she can perform mastectomies to add to her vita. The "screaming babies" in the background during two phone conversations were so upsetting--I can't even tell you. This was in 2006. I talked to another women who had experienced the "screaming babies" in the background noise during a phone conversation. I consequently gathered all my files from her office and went up to U of M Oncology, Dr. Alfred Chang--the head of Oncology. I took the biopsy smears and all mamms for U of M review. Dr. Chang said that because of the location of the two sites of Ductile Carcinoma in Situ--he would agree with a mastectomy of the left breast--but NEVER would he suggest a double mastectomy. After U of M Pathology reviewed the slides of the biopsy AL took, Dr. Chang told me that the diagnosis of Ductile Carcinoma in situ was incorrect--but U of M Pathology found it to be a lesser level and a mastectomy for this was not necessary. He did however suggest that I have a needle biopsy performed just to make sure. Dr. Chang also said if I were going to have the needle biopsy performed in Toledo, to have the slides sent to U of M--to make sure the diagnosis was correct. I did have the needle biopsy performed at St. Anne's Hospital by Dr. Michael Stark for insurance reasons and because my GP was now involved and recommended Dr. Stark. It was a fight to get St. Anne's to send the slides to Dr. Stark's department, but finally they agreed. There was no cancer found in the needle biopsy performed by Dr. Michael Stark. If you use AL--get a second opinion before letting her perform any surgical procedure on you any where--but especially breast procedures. She, in 2006, was all too keen on starting a "Breast Care Center" It looks like she has been able to get her center opened, but at what expense to the women she has used to start her center? I have nothing but frightful, horrible memories of this woman--and will never forget the phone calls from her with the "screaming, crying babies" in the background. I'm glad to get this off my chest--after 9 years. I still have both breasts, have mamms every year and take good care of myself. I can't even imagine where I'd be today if I had followed this woman's advice.

September 18th, 2012
Love Dr Leininger. She is a very caring person. She always made sure I knew exactly what was happening!

July 10th, 2012
the best
Dr. Leininger is the best doctor I have ever had. She explains every option you have and makes everything you have to go through much easier. She is always there for you and is very compassionate as is everyone on her staff. I can't say enough good about her, she is absolutely the best. I Love Her.

November 16th, 2011
Above Excellent Surgeon
I highly recommend this Doctor. She is professional and precise. She makes sure you are aware of all of your options and spends the time needed for you to understand the procedure. She is above excellence though does not appear to be a warm person if you are looking for empathy.