Dr. Ann Haleakala Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Ann Haleakala?

7 Ratings with 1 Comment

August 9th, 2011

Of Questionable competence

Dr Haleakala was the emergency room md I saw after waiting over three hours. I have no regular doctor and I can find no doctor willing to take me on as a patient. For the past year I have had to depend on the Hilo Emergency Department for treatment. I need a non-narcotic pain medication (dextromethorphan hydrobromide) to alleviate the pain I endure as a consequence of severe scoliosis with stenosis. On visits to the Hilo Emergency room over the past year I have been given prescriptions of the pain medication with refills for two to four months. Most of the ER physicians are aware of the paucity of doctors on the island and the difficulty for pain management patients especially to find a regular physician. In her obliviousness, Dr Haleakala prescribed enough pain medication for two days. This after I had waited three hours to be seen on a Friday evening. I could not get a ride home, had to spend the night in the ER waiting room, and then spent more than three hours hitchhiking home. I now must find a follow up physician to treat me, a daunting, if not impossible, challenge in the hostile environment of so doing in this underserved community. Dt Haleakala's treatment of me reflects an arrogance wholly unsuited to a physician and reveals an ignorance of pain and its treatment which, though it is shared by a majority of physicians (studies have shown/proven this), is revealing of an incompetence that deserves redress with a severe reprimand and assignment to remedial instruction.

March 10th, 2017