Dr. Ansley Miller MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.0

May 30th, 2014
I received terrible care under Dr. Miller. From the moment I met her after coming in severely ill and underweight, she had decided that I was anorexic and starving myself, even though my family had significant proof and taken extreme measures to rule out this possibility. After starting me on the re-feed process, since she was convinced I had starved myself, I lost three more pounds, dropping down to a weight of 86 pounds (for perspective: height was about 5'6) because I was given less calories than I was taking in at home (about 2000 at home and 400 under Dr. Miller's care). Finally feed was advanced to a two calorie formula and was at a rate of 75 ml/hr continuously. After two weeks, I still showed no weight gain. Dr. Miller refused to investigate my underlying GI problems. She told my father that there was no reason I that I wasn't gaining weight, considering the fact that in her eyes I was anorexic. She then proceeded to tell my father that she believed that either I or him (or both) were sabotaging the feed system. This statement was highly offensive and very much false. Dr. Miller was rude and arrogant and wouldn't even consider the fact that I was malabsorbing the formula and feeling extreme pain and nausea, despite the evidence in front of her face. She continued to refuse to do GI testing and continued to inform my parents that I needed to go to UNC Treatment for Eating Disorders. Finally, after three weeks of stagnation and no weight gain, Dr. Miller decided to transfer me to UNC Hospital Pediatrics Floor. We thought this would be a good move. However, Dr. Miller sabotaged this move from the get-go, calling the attending Pediatric doctor at UNC and informing her that I was anorexic and didn't need to see a GI specialist, so once we arrived at UNC, this doctor also refused to bring in a GI and moved me to the Eating Disorders Unit shortly after my arrival. Ironically, the doctors in the EDU treated me better and investigated my illness more than any other doctor I had seen. After one day in the EDU, the psych. team knew I did not have an eating disorder. The resident, Dr. Taylor, was phenomenal. She called in a GI specialist, who ran more tests. Finally, my problem was diagnosed. The UNC EDU staff put me on an appropriate formula and I began to gain weight, no thanks to Dr. Miller. Overall, I would not recommend Dr. Miller or Mission Hospital to anyone. She is hardheaded and does not have the best interest of the patient in mind, like many of the other pediatric doctors at Mission Hospital.

February 17th, 2011
Our daughter was recently hospitalized under Dr. Miller's care at Mission Hospital, as she was the attending pediatric hospitalist and our pediatrician does not have admitting privileges there. Regrettably, our experience with Dr. Miller was abysmal. She rejected the findings, requests and recommendations of not only our primary pediatrician and other specialists called in on the case. After seeing our daughter for all of 5 minutes, she also declared that our daughter was not as sick as we all (her pediatrician included) thought she was. She was callous and condescending and made unprofessional remarks about me (the mother) to my husband, relating her opinion that I couldn't handle the situation. (It was painfully obvious that Dr. Miller has no children and cannot possibly relate to parental concern). We took our daughter out of Mission as soon as possible and placed her back in the care of her (horrified) primary pediatrician, where she has done well and is recovering. Unfortunately, our pediatric group related that they are generally extremely reluctant to hospitalize children at Mission because many families have received similar treatment. It is our sincere hope that Dr. Miller will learn humility and will develop a willingness to listen to parents, senior physicians and specialists. Should any of our children ever again need hospitalization, it will most certainly not be at Mission.