Dr. Answorth Allen MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

October 20th, 2016
Fantastic Surgeon
Gave my daughter an option that was not offer by another surgeon...with a much greater likelihood of success. Very pleased with his work. Not a big talker, and you have to ask the questions, but he is the best!

October 14th, 2016
Doesn't Push For Surgery
Dr. Allen is not a surgeon who pushes you to have surgery. I have seen him twice and neither time did he recommend surgery. Each problem resolved itself as he said it would, in one case using a brace. On top of this, he is personable and friendly.

March 20th, 2016
Staff is fantastic and dr Allen is incredible he did both shoulders bone spurs and a quad tendon repair

February 15th, 2016
Very nice man, but tries to hurry you out.

October 28th, 2015
Disappointing, to say the least.
Dr. Allen came highly recommended with a reputation as an excellent surgeon. My experience with him did not live up to those expectations. In fact, it was even close. Upon my first visit with Dr. Allen, he was very courteous and took the time to answer any and all of my questions regarding my injury and the surgery required to correct it. He diagnosed me on the spot and didn't feel the need to send me for an MRI or for any further testing. In hindsight, perhaps he should have. Dr. Allen wanted to do the surgery on the same day as my first visit, but I told him I needed a few days to consider it. I decided to schedule the surgery a few days later. It's fair to say, our relationship deteriorated from there. I saw Dr. Allen briefly, while I was being prepped for surgery. I was the last person on the schedule for the evening. He was short with me and very matter of fact, somewhat robotic. It was not exactly what I was hoping for minutes before he was going to be slicing me open, but I digress. I came out of surgery and was told that Dr. Allen had left for the evening. I was told by a nurse that the surgery had gone well and was discharged shortly thereafter. After approximately two weeks in a cast, I went back to Dr. Allen to have said cast removed. Upon it's removal, I noticed that the cosmetic appearance of the repair was underwhelming at best. The function was yet to be determined. Dr. Allen told me that everything looked normal and to begin my physical therapy. After 6 weeks, I went back for a follow up. Physical therapy was going well, but I was still concerned about the appearance of my arm. Something just didn't look right. I was told that it takes time for these things to get back to normal. Who was I to argue? Approximately 10 weeks later, I went back in for another follow up. I waited 30 minutes in the exam room before Dr. Allen found the time to see me. Things were progressing at physical therapy, although I was having soreness and tightness in my arm. I was told that was to be expected. Again, I questioned the cosmetic appearance of my arm. My concerns were essentially dismissed and was simply told to continue with my physical therapy. The follow-up was extremely short. I felt as though I was being pushed out the door. Four months later, after following the protocol for my physical therapy to a tee, I went to see Dr. Allen over my continued concerns regarding the appearance, form and function of my arm. This time, he brought an assistant of some sort into the room with him. He examined me and was actually condescending in his responses to my concerns. As if I were crazy and no surgery that he performed could ever go wrong, he told me to have an MRI, if I felt it was necessary. So, I scheduled the MRI. Upon receiving the results of the MRI, in which the radiologist confirmed that there was a problem with my arm, I scheduled an MRI review with Dr. Allen. When I arrived for my appointment, Dr. Allen came in and reviewed the MRI images with me. At this point he said that he didn't put any real stock in images from the MRI. So, not only was he dismissing my concerns, but he was now dismissing the evaluation of the radiologist as well. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's one thing to disregard a patients complaints, but to cast another Doctor's evaluation to the side as well? I have never in my life experiences such arrogance. As I went back and forth with Dr. Allen, questioning the procedure, asking what may have been done differently and what could be done going forward, I could see he was becoming agitated. As if I had the audacity to question such a genius. Finally, when I suggested that, perhaps, the surgery wasn't performed adequately from the get go, he got up and stormed out of the room, abandoning me with questions left unanswered! I didn't or haven't seen him again. Let me ask you one question...Does Dr. Allen carry this arrogance and impatience into the O.R.? If something isn't going his way, does he just say, "I've had enough", and abandon his patient on the table? I have never in my life encountered someone so lacking in professionalism. If this is the type of care you wish to get, by all means go with Answorth Allen. Otherwise, keep searching, as there are many excellent surgeons in New York who won't make you feel as though you're wasting their time with silly question about your health. You've been warned.

September 4th, 2015
Best ortho doctor
Spectacular doctor. He reconstructed my right shoulder and left knee. Both are as good as new. Best orthopedic surgeon, hands down.

March 4th, 2015
Fabulous care but seemed to fall through the cracks when it came to scheduling appointments by the office staff.

December 15th, 2013
great surgeon
Dr. Allen has operated on both my husband and my daughter and is an amazing surgeon! I have complete faith in him and would recommend him highly to anyone in need of a sports medicine surgeon.

May 14th, 2013
I would recommend this man any day of the week. He first operated on my 15 year old son with a torn ACL. Surgery and recovery is going great. Thanks to Dr. Allen, he will get back to hoops bigger and stronger than ever. Some 55 days later he operated on my 18 year old daughter who also tore her ACL, playing Lacrosse. As you could imagine how tough it was to see both kids suffer the same injury within a couple of month. Dr Allen showed great concern about what we were dealing with and performed another flawless surgery. I am so grateful to him and would recommend this Doctor to anyone dealing with Knee and Shoulder ailment.

March 8th, 2013
ACL Reconstruction
Dr. Allen is amazing , had my ACL REconstrution surgery yesterday at Hospital for Special surgery , I have not felt any pain at all yesterday or today. I used my own Patella Tendon Graft. So far I'm In good shape !! I defenitly recommend Dr.Allen.

October 19th, 2012
Exceptional Doctor
Dr. Allen is an excellent surgeon. I have had three surgeries on the same knee within a time period of 18 years. There needs to be improvement in regards to the office staff in regards to following up.

September 17th, 2012
Specializes in ACL repair and good knowlege of cricket
I saw Dr Allen in 2004 for my knee which required reconstruction of the ACL. I was apprehensive about the surgery, but Dr Allen was very reassuring and did an EXCELLENT job with the knee. He is also very sociable and actually called me once to discuss cricket as I have been a big fan of cricket and he knew some players from the West Indies. It was a great gesture from Dr Allen.I gave up Basketball, but took up Racquetball and have been playing 5 days a week for the last several years.Just today my other knee gave in, and I will be calling Dr Allen again though the drive from NJ is a not fun.Would definitely recommend Dr Allen.