Primary Care Doctor, Family Practitioner
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Poor office response show details Poor office response
by Lisa Tanner on Jun 3rd, 2016

When we first started to see Dr. Avitable, we were very impressed with him and his office staff. Recently they have all become overwhelmed with his 7000 patients, his nurse out on medical leave and have made insurance and prescription mistakes. When I had a problem yesterday with a prescription that the lab tech took from me to make a copy, I called the office. I was told they were "swamped" and no one could rectify the problem. Eventually the prescription was called into the wrong pharmacy. So today I went back into the office and was met with attitude. I asked the nurse to call my pharmacy and verify it was there. Which she did. After I left the office she called me back to say it wasn't....the pharmacy had called back and did not have the prescription. I then asked where the prescription was and found out they had called an old pharmacy. The doctor tells me it is my responsibility to update my file with the new pharmacy info. I have been using the newer pharmacy for close to two years. I am not privy to what is written in their files. Because I assumed that the nurse who was on leave had written this information in the file, I did not know that she hadn't. When I went in for my appointment, a substitute nurse only took my blood pressure and weight and the doctor did the rest. NO one asked me to verify my pharmacy and since they had been using the correct pharmacy previously, it never occurred to me that they didn't have the right information. I got into it with the nurse when she called me back. The office manager then told me not to speak to them in a rude manner. If I were rude it was only my frustration level that got the best of me. Dr. Avatabile asked me to find a new doctor. Which I will do. Frankly after the series of insurance mistakes, a misdiagnosis and the treatment from his "overwhelmed" staff (each nurse, front office and lab person complained about how stressed they were) I will happily go to another office. Usually, this doctor is sensitive to the needs of his patients. He just started to interrupt me when I was talking and refused to listen to any reasonable explanation. I have never been rude in his office previously and always appreciated good care. Unfortunately, he seems too stressed as well which concerns me for the well being of his patients.

Grandpasam show details Grandpasam
by Sam on Oct 17th, 2014

Great Doctor that shows concern for your health. Discusses any problems, and does not hurry you out the door.

Phenomenal Doctor show details Phenomenal Doctor
by James F on Apr 6th, 2014

This is the best doctor i have came across in 10 years, he was very caring, listened to me, was very professional, and even worked with my insurance. This is hard to find in my area, i have had a lot of negative experiences but I would recommend Dr Avitabile to anyone. 10 out of 10

Sales Executive show details Sales Executive
by Mike on Mar 6th, 2013

I had an incredible first visit. Dr. Avitabile will, with out a doubt be my family Doctor. i feel like I can talk to him like a friend the first time I met him...wonderful 'Bedside Manner'.

by Ron Patton on Feb 17th, 2010

Have been a patient for several years. Highly organized office; minimal waits; excellent followup on lab results, medication changes. Dr. Avitabile spends more time, shows more patience; makes effort to insure patients adequately understand health issues

Feb 12th, 2010

I have recommended him to my family and friends.

Dr. A is the best! show details Dr. A is the best!
Oct 20th, 2008

I have never had a dr. or nurse practicionar to spend the time or effort to diagnosis a problem with me as I have had with Dr. Avitable. You won't regret changing to him!

Noone else like him! show details Noone else like him!
Oct 13th, 2008

By far one of the best doctors in Chattanooga. A no nonsense aproach from a down to earth physician!

Apr 30th, 2008

The best doctor in Chattanooga!