3.0

DOC/MECHANIC show details DOC/MECHANIC
Aug 30th, 2015

he did a L5 S1 fusion on me in 2002 I have regret it ever since TBC corrected HIS poorly done work NEVER schedule with this MAD SCIENTIST

worst doctor show details worst doctor
by Dodi Ann on May 28th, 2015

He kept yelling at me. And I thought he isn't listening, I'm not about to let him touch me. So Rude, he asked me 4 times, "Now why are you here again". So I left, I felt so uncomfortable.

Greedy and a liar show details Greedy and a liar
by B.C. on Mar 7th, 2014

I have spondylolesthesis and a herniated disc in my back based off of my 2011 and 2014 MRI reviews. We'll I'm fortunate enough that my ins. Offers to pay 100% of any spine surgeries at 1 of 7 centers of excellence hospitals that Aetna partnered with. But they needed a specialists review. So I found this doc. He immediately complained about how bad my MRI film is and wanted another one. He wanted me to take a myelogram that cost me over 4000$ out of pocket. So I got a second opinion from another specialist. He said no way I need a myelogram and that if the MRI film was bad than the imaging place should do it again for free. Long story short he tried to get me to take a 8000$ test than wanted to do the 60-90k spinal fusion immediately when all I needed was for him to review my MRI and tell my ins. If I needed surgery and what kind so I can get enrolled in the centers of excellence hospital. He set me back 3 weeks and cost me unnecessary money. Don't see him

Feb 4th, 2014

I had 2 visits with Dr. Gioia. The first time I took a 2 year old MRI with me. He asked me to get a new one, which I did and returned. He stated that I need to have the entire section of the L4-L5 removed and replaced with a spacer and fused. I went to head of spine surgery with Scripps Hospital in San Diego and he said there was nothing wrong with my discs. I had a cyst growing in the L4-L5 that had to be removed. He did so and the pain was gone. No fussing and did not remove my disc. Dr. Gioia is incompetent and just wanted to run up a large surgery bill. He should retire.

ruined my life show details ruined my life
Dec 23rd, 2011

I went in with a minor back problem and he immediately suggested surgery. He was the only doc my insurance accepted I have Medicare. He did the operation which left me in Icu for three days after which i was sent home . When i asked for pain med he and his staff acted as if i were a drug addict . I have since discovered my surgery was preformed substandardly and suffer from constant pain. I am new and will always be on meds for pain because he ruined my spine with a bone fusion at age 27. I will never recover . Run away from this doctor!!!!!!

RUINED MY SPINE show details RUINED MY SPINE
Aug 26th, 2011

I had two cervical surgeries by Dr. Gioia in 1996 and 1997. In 2000 I saw a pain doctor who informed me that I had a major problem in my spine under the fusion that dr. Gioia did. He referred me to a surgeon who informed me that I had an impingement on my spinal chord. I consulted several neurosurgeons and all agreed that it was due to the 2nd procedure that Dr. Gioia performed that they said left my spine unnecessarily weak in that area. Needless to say, I called attorneys to sue Dr. Gioia but the statute of limitations had already expired. I had to have a cage installed around my spine to correct the problem. It took two surgeries and two weeks in the ICU on a breathing machine to repair the problem. I have had continued problems ever since. Since then I have read that he has been sanctioned three times by the state for doing surgeries in the wrong place.

Initial Visit & Consultation show details Initial Visit & Consultation
Jun 23rd, 2011

The staff @ Dr. Giioia's office were all nice and professional. Beginning at the referral from my GP to Dr. Gioia's neurology practice staff were courteous and capable; they called a few times over a period of days, as I was on vacation where cell phone access was minimal. Then on the actual appointment the staff guided me through the paperwork and into the exam room. Dr. Gioia appeared shortly after and he discussed my films, the areas of concern and his recommendations to pursue resolution. He was sincere and straight forward in his assesment. I appreciate his frank, direct approach.