Sports Medicine Specialist, Surgeons
Video profile
300 MT Auburn St
Suite 505
Cambridge, MA 02138
Locations and availability (4)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Not So Much  |  show details
Mar 6th, 2014

I have seen Dr. Schena for knee pain at the Waltam office. I had arthroscopic knee surgery . After the surgery I found myself looking to the internet for answers to what and where my condition was going. It would benefit Dr. Schena and the patients if he took more time to explain. Some of us are not schooled in orthopedics. I also feel as though he prefers seeing patients with sports injuries as opposed to patients with aging joints. The staff in Waltham is completely rude and obnoxious. (she really needs to be straightened out). I don't think you need a great bedside manner to do a good job, however, communication is vital in order to give good care to the patient. Bottom line, I found Dr. Schena to be less than satisfactory and I don't prefer to see him again. DP

|  Excellent Surgeon  |  show details
Sep 5th, 2013

I was referred to Dr. Schena by my PCP for meniscus tears in both knees. When I found out that I had sustained a meniscus tear in my so called "good knee" I could of cried knowing that it would get worse before it got better. Although I am not an athlete, I still have a busy life with my family and friends. I also work as a court stenographer and part time bookkeeper so I need to be able to move around without the fear of falling. My knee was giving out and creating alot of distractions. I was pretty much immobile. I recently had arthroscopic knee surgery and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I'me walking normally and have returned to family life and the workplace without restrictions. I am pain free. I am very grateful for Dr. Schena's expertise and I would highly recommend him. I would also recommend having surgery at Boston Outpatient Surgical Suites (BOSS) as an alternative to surgery at the hospital. Dr. Schena and the entire staff were kind and professional. I had surgery at 10:00 a.m. and I was home recuperating by 11:30 a.m. They delivered excellent care. I was impressed with the whole experience. By Linn

|  Ridiculous that physicians get away with anything!  |  show details
by Kim F. on Feb 4th, 2013

I had an 11am appt. Dr. Schena was running late, yet none of his 28 year old, uneducated office staff had the courtesy to let me know. I was finally called in to a room at 11:50 and sat in there waiting for another 20 minutes. If I had arrived over an hour late, I would've been forced to reschedule. If I had arrived for a job interview 75 minutes late, I wouldn't get the job. Same thing with a date, a work day, a hair appt, or anything else in this country. Yet physicians over book themselves every day. We pay their salary and yet we are expected to spend all morning waiting for them, with no right to submit complaints. It's very sad to see how little the patients care actually means.

|  Amazing  |  show details
Jan 28th, 2013

I've seen a ton of orthopedists in my day and Dr. Schena is the best by far. Knowledgeable, takes the time to help you understand what's going on, walk through all the options and help you make an informed decision on your treatment. His bedside manner can't be beat. Yes sometimes there's a bit of a wait but that's because he takes his time with his patients. I've seen orthos that spend less than 3 minutes with you. Not Dr. Schena. He'll spend as much time as it takes to answer your questions. It's clear he really cares about what he's doing. The downside? The office staff (at least in the Waltham office). The front desk is incredibly rude, unprofessional, and apathetic. I almost stopped going to the practice because of them. They really need an attitude adjustment.

|  Mobile and Painfree  |  show details
Jun 18th, 2012

I had a bone spur and a labrum year of my hip joint. After Dr Schena did an arthroscopy, I was painfree and able to return to my workouts without any problem. I road bike about 100 miles per week, teach Spin and weight lifting classes and work part-time as a physical therapist. The surgery was 3 years ago and I'm still painfree:D

|  show details
Apr 24th, 2012

Dr. Schena's office staff were very late in notifying us of the surgery time, and in general, lack the professionalism would would expect from a physician's office. Follow-up appointments are about 5 minutes and rushed. Perhaps this is why he;s readily available. I'm disgusted.

|  Misdiagnosed My Injury  |  show details
Feb 20th, 2012

I fell and injured my ankle. ER doctor told me it was a sprain. I felt it was broken as I could feel "bone-on-bone" movement. I requested an MRI but was told it wasn't needed. My company doctor referred me to Dr. Schena and within a few days I saw him. I explained that I thought it was broken, he abruptly told me it was sprained. I asked him if an MRI or CT scan might help in the diagnosis he gave me an attitude of "don't tell me how to do my job". With two doctors telling me it was a sprain, I believed them. He set me up with physical therapy and I was back to work in a little over a month, despite severe swelling and alot of pain. After eight months of not being able to exercise, increased swelling and pain, I went to the company doctor again. He sent me to a different doctor, who looked at my ankle and ordered an MRI immediately. I saw him a few days later with the MRI results and he showed me where the subtalar joint had a fracture. he was kind of surprised that the other two doctors didn't order an MRI. He told me that I am done running and shouldn't spend to much time on my feet. There is nothing to do now as arthritis has set in and the injury healed incorrectly. This injury occurred in 2008, and I am still feeling pain every day. I wouldn't recommend this doctor to anybody.

|  Unprofessional waist of time  |  show details
by Disappointed on May 9th, 2011

Expect very long waiting time, no matter what is the time of the appointment. I was double booked for an 8a.m. appointment and waited 55 min. for a 10 min "visual" exam, as an MRI referral was refused over the phone. Dr. Schena was not very helpful in diagnosing my problem and went with describing common sports injuries.

|  show details
Apr 25th, 2011

ACL reconstruction failed after 2 years and at the second diagnosis the doctor completely misdiagnosed and even questioned the report written by very prominent and well renowned radiologist. Doctor always rushes the patient, barely explains. In this age and era, patients are well read with information on internet so doctor should take time and answer all questions, please do not hurry up for the next $$ check. Thanks !!

|  MJ  |  show details
Oct 24th, 2010

Got an ACL reconstruction, lasted only 2 years, the physician should atleast be able to tell the patient the reasons why this happened. Understand could be several reasons but go over the factors with the patient but apparently this doctor doesn't. Also, doc please read the report on patient who is coming to consult you, take few mins to be aware. The doctor mentioned that at my surgery lateral meniscus was repaired but actually it was medial meniscus. I know this doc doesn't do whole lot of these surgeries so atleast few patients you have you should be well aware. Not going back here for the revision. All future patients please consult 2 or 3 docs before deciding on your surgeon.

|  Wonderful doctor  |  show details
Sep 1st, 2010

Dr. Schena spent a lot of time with me answering all my questions. He was courteous, knowledgable, compassionate and very complete. Even though he is a surgeon, he recommended that I postpone hip arthroscopy for now because I wasn't an ideal candidate that would have guaranteed benefits from the surgury. Even though that meant he didn't make any money from doing the operation, he still put my best interests ahead of his own monetary gain. An absolute gem of a doctor.

|  So far, so good  |  show details
Nov 27th, 2008

ONly had consult so far, but surgery scheduled for Dec08. Very thorough and patient with explaining injury, issues, and options. Great bedside manner