Dr. Anthony Schena MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

March 31st, 2016
Had a complicated rotator cuff and bicep surgery. Excellent!

April 25th, 2015
Great experience
Patient of Dr Schena for 5 years Had TKR 3 weeks ago. Prior to surgery Dr Schena explained pros and cons due to my younger age. No question I had was ever dismissed. He knew this was a hard decision for me and again pros and cons and discussed my quality of life with knee pain, leaving decision to me. No pressure. Office staff tries to accommodate appt times and always get a rerun call within a few hours. Great doctor! No surprises yet as far as surgery, better than I thought it would be. Thank you Dr Schena!!

October 14th, 2014
Mishaps
I liked that he explained everything well and took his time to answer my questions. I didn't allow him to operate on me because he ordered a cortisone shot instead of the lydocaine he had meant to order. When I asked why the hospital gave me the cortisone he said he didn't know and blew it off even though this messed up the plan he and I had come up with on my previous visit. I called the hospital to see if it was his mistake or theirs and they did a inquiry and found that he had ordered the cortisone, which didn't surprise me because of the way he reacted after checking the hospitals records... I wish he had just admitted the error. Then his office called me twice in the same day, once to schedule the surgery and then to schedule another cortisone shot on the same day. I decided the office was too disorganized and changed surgeons. I went to the mt auburn office.

March 6th, 2014
Not So Much
I have seen Dr. Schena for knee pain at the Waltam office. I had arthroscopic knee surgery . After the surgery I found myself looking to the internet for answers to what and where my condition was going. It would benefit Dr. Schena and the patients if he took more time to explain. Some of us are not schooled in orthopedics. I also feel as though he prefers seeing patients with sports injuries as opposed to patients with aging joints. The staff in Waltham is completely rude and obnoxious. (she really needs to be straightened out). I don't think you need a great bedside manner to do a good job, however, communication is vital in order to give good care to the patient. Bottom line, I found Dr. Schena to be less than satisfactory and I don't prefer to see him again. DP

February 4th, 2013
Ridiculous that physicians get away with anything!
I had an 11am appt. Dr. Schena was running late, yet none of his 28 year old, uneducated office staff had the courtesy to let me know. I was finally called in to a room at 11:50 and sat in there waiting for another 20 minutes. If I had arrived over an hour late, I would've been forced to reschedule. If I had arrived for a job interview 75 minutes late, I wouldn't get the job. Same thing with a date, a work day, a hair appt, or anything else in this country. Yet physicians over book themselves every day. We pay their salary and yet we are expected to spend all morning waiting for them, with no right to submit complaints. It's very sad to see how little the patients care actually means.

January 28th, 2013
Amazing
I've seen a ton of orthopedists in my day and Dr. Schena is the best by far. Knowledgeable, takes the time to help you understand what's going on, walk through all the options and help you make an informed decision on your treatment. His bedside manner can't be beat. Yes sometimes there's a bit of a wait but that's because he takes his time with his patients. I've seen orthos that spend less than 3 minutes with you. Not Dr. Schena. He'll spend as much time as it takes to answer your questions. It's clear he really cares about what he's doing. The downside? The office staff (at least in the Waltham office). The front desk is incredibly rude, unprofessional, and apathetic. I almost stopped going to the practice because of them. They really need an attitude adjustment.

June 18th, 2012
Mobile and Painfree
I had a bone spur and a labrum year of my hip joint. After Dr Schena did an arthroscopy, I was painfree and able to return to my workouts without any problem. I road bike about 100 miles per week, teach Spin and weight lifting classes and work part-time as a physical therapist. The surgery was 3 years ago and I'm still painfree:D

April 24th, 2012
Dr. Schena's office staff were very late in notifying us of the surgery time, and in general, lack the professionalism would would expect from a physician's office. Follow-up appointments are about 5 minutes and rushed. Perhaps this is why he;s readily available. I'm disgusted.

February 20th, 2012
Misdiagnosed My Injury
I fell and injured my ankle. ER doctor told me it was a sprain. I felt it was broken as I could feel "bone-on-bone" movement. I requested an MRI but was told it wasn't needed. My company doctor referred me to Dr. Schena and within a few days I saw him. I explained that I thought it was broken, he abruptly told me it was sprained. I asked him if an MRI or CT scan might help in the diagnosis he gave me an attitude of "don't tell me how to do my job". With two doctors telling me it was a sprain, I believed them. He set me up with physical therapy and I was back to work in a little over a month, despite severe swelling and alot of pain. After eight months of not being able to exercise, increased swelling and pain, I went to the company doctor again. He sent me to a different doctor, who looked at my ankle and ordered an MRI immediately. I saw him a few days later with the MRI results and he showed me where the subtalar joint had a fracture. he was kind of surprised that the other two doctors didn't order an MRI. He told me that I am done running and shouldn't spend to much time on my feet. There is nothing to do now as arthritis has set in and the injury healed incorrectly. This injury occurred in 2008, and I am still feeling pain every day. I wouldn't recommend this doctor to anybody.

May 9th, 2011
Unprofessional waist of time
Expect very long waiting time, no matter what is the time of the appointment. I was double booked for an 8a.m. appointment and waited 55 min. for a 10 min "visual" exam, as an MRI referral was refused over the phone. Dr. Schena was not very helpful in diagnosing my problem and went with describing common sports injuries.

October 24th, 2010
MJ
Got an ACL reconstruction, lasted only 2 years, the physician should atleast be able to tell the patient the reasons why this happened. Understand could be several reasons but go over the factors with the patient but apparently this doctor doesn't. Also, doc please read the report on patient who is coming to consult you, take few mins to be aware. The doctor mentioned that at my surgery lateral meniscus was repaired but actually it was medial meniscus. I know this doc doesn't do whole lot of these surgeries so atleast few patients you have you should be well aware. Not going back here for the revision. All future patients please consult 2 or 3 docs before deciding on your surgeon.

September 1st, 2010
Wonderful doctor
Dr. Schena spent a lot of time with me answering all my questions. He was courteous, knowledgable, compassionate and very complete. Even though he is a surgeon, he recommended that I postpone hip arthroscopy for now because I wasn't an ideal candidate that would have guaranteed benefits from the surgury. Even though that meant he didn't make any money from doing the operation, he still put my best interests ahead of his own monetary gain. An absolute gem of a doctor.