2.0

Worst. Psychiatrist. Ever. show details Worst. Psychiatrist. Ever.
Mar 18th, 2015

I read a lot of reviews of Dr. Smartnik online and almost all of them were extremely negative. I took that with a grain of salt, however, thinking that only the complainers go online to write reviews in the first place. When I actually met Dr. Smartnick he was rude, often interrupting me and speaking in a condescending tone of voice when I would try to describe my symptoms to him. I decided that it really didn't matter if the guy had a bad personality as long as he provided me with the service I needed. From that point on, however, Dr. Smartnik kept cancelling appointments with me so that I was constantly running out of my meds. Yesterday I drove all the way to Hudson, where the receptionist told me that he "just didn't show up to the office today." Apparently, he didn't even bother to call and cancel. The receptionist said that clients were coming in all day and getting angry that he wasn't there as scheduled (again). Dr. Smartnick missed 5 of the 8 appointments he had scheduled with me. So, when the receptionist offered to schedule another one, I declined. I didn't see any point in scheduling an appointment that he wasn't going to keep anyway.

Horrible Doctor show details Horrible Doctor
Oct 2nd, 2013

This doctor is awful. He makes it very obvious that he has no interest in what the patient has to say nor does he do any type of assessment. I tried to discuss troublesome side effects with him but he didn't want to hear it and just told me to keep taking the medicine. I needed my prescriptions through mail order because of my insurance and could not get him to send the prescription.

Horrible show details Horrible
Oct 1st, 2013

I had been tested for ADHD by a woman in the very same office. She went over my results with him and I was supposed to follow up with him to get a prescription. On the day of my appointment he didn't remember ever speaking to her, and when I told him the medications she had recommended he said "I don't think that's indicated here," as he was hustling me out the door after my 30 second appointment.

Awful Doctor show details Awful Doctor
by K.KL on Sep 26th, 2013

This Doctor is only interested in the money. He shows no concern for the patient. Would not recommend this guy to anyone.

Run run run! show details Run run run!
Aug 29th, 2013

Talks mostly himself! Interrupts you while your talking! Refuses to give notes for work or school stating "your running away from your problem". Never remembers who you are or what he has done for you unless he looks at his notes! Does not give refills on Rx instead has you call when you need one and will only give one refill at a time. Basically does all the talking himself than gets up and opens his door when he is finished. Spends barely any time with you! Basically a useless doctor who doesn't seem to care!

Caring dr show details Caring dr
Aug 10th, 2013

Great bedside manor easy to talk to takes the time to listen Easy going

Jun 19th, 2013

My first impression of Dr. Smartnick was that he was very matter of fact and not overly compassionate. I guess that is why I have a therapist if I want compassion. I saw Dr. several times before I really saw the true side of him. I was admitted to the Partial Hospitalization Program at Akron General Hospital at my lowest point and he was so compassionate and caring to me. He sat and spent time with me and I am very happy that I go to him now, At first I felt he was putting me on too many meds but he told me to be patient that they would help me. He is correct. Therapy, medication, and my willingness plus Dr. Smartnick's care has me on the road to recovery within 2 months. I would recommend him but you need to give it time and work hard at recovery!

Apr 5th, 2013

Diagnosis correct BUT I had to"interview" with his secretary before he "agreed" to take me on as a patient? would start my session in the hallway on walk back to his office - what about privacy laws? I don't mean just small talk, either. Doesn't appear to like having to see patients. I went elsewhere.

Sad that this man is still employed show details Sad that this man is still employed
Apr 13th, 2012

I have worked in healthcare for 20 years, and this poor excuse for a human being should not be within 5 feet of a patient. The fact that Akron General lets him take care of patients is appalling to me. I would not send my dog to this man.

Don't waste your time show details Don't waste your time
Nov 10th, 2011

Awful Dr. Nasty and uncaring. Do not waste your time. Find someone who actually cares about their job and people.

BEWARE show details BEWARE
Jul 6th, 2011

This man is one of the WORST doctors to walk the face of the earth. I did not go to a psychiatrist to be judged, and this is what this holier-than-thou man did as he looked down his nose at me the entire time I spoke. I was worse after seeing him for depression than I was before I went in. He did not listen to a thing I had to say in regard to side-effects I was experiencing from the medications and he was sure to let me know that he did not give a da%^. Please do not take your children to this man. He is, quite frankly, dangerous.

Doesn't get family involved show details Doesn't get family involved
Apr 3rd, 2011

He wouldn't educate my family when I was unable to educate myself on my stay at the ward.