Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Bill Baber on Aug 17th, 2016

Excellent doctor- highly recommend -performed a bi-lateral total knee on me on 07 Dec 2015- back driving/ work in 7 weeks- played a round of golf 4 months later

Jul 15th, 2016

simply amazing.

Incredible and Wonderful Experience show details Incredible and Wonderful Experience
by Michael Milano on Jun 23rd, 2016

Dr. Carter and his team have been responsive, compassionate, and professional. We live in Northern Virginia. The nurse who came for home health care said that if she ever needed hip replacement, she would go to Newport News to be treated by Dr. Carter. We could not be more pleased nor more grateful! My brother arrived her crippled with pain...not quite three weeks after the surgery he walks without a cane and is doing great! Incredible to witness.

May 22nd, 2016

Amazing surgery and recovery!

best doctor show details best doctor
by mary phillips on May 5th, 2016

excellent doctor! wonderful care. highly recommended.

bad knee show details bad knee
by Ricky green on Jan 23rd, 2016

Haven't had surgery yet, but after several doctors, Dr carter was only one to şay look, you need surgery Looking forward to results

by Ruth Dunn on Aug 4th, 2015

He is a awesome Doctor I would wait 2 hours to see him and I like his team they are very good. THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love this team show details Love this team
by Norma Shabazz. on Jun 19th, 2015

He is extremely pleasant. His staff is amazing and prompt.

Best Surgeon Ever show details Best Surgeon Ever
by David Zacharias on Jun 4th, 2015

Dr. Carter and his team, along with Mary Immaculate Hospital in Newport News is simply the best medical team available. I had my right hip replaced by him; I am scheduled for Bi-lateral Knee Surgery with him. His team takes care of every need. I am very happy with Dr. Carter and will use no one else. I recommend him and his team with my strongest most emphatic recommendation.

Dishonest Doctor show details Dishonest Doctor
by Ms. Davis on Mar 10th, 2015

Dr. Anthony Carter IS NOT HONEST. I was recently sent to him for a second opinion by my employer. He was indeed courteous and took time to explain my injury in great detail. However, his opinions written in his report to my employer were a total contradiction to his explanations and findings during my evaluation. I don't understand the need to tell me one thing and write another. He could have been honest with me if what he wrote in his report were indeed his opinions. But I understand that he is frequently used by my employer for second opinions and maybe he didn't want to jeopardize that relationship. I don't know. I was actually greatful for the second opinion hoping that he could offer more insight on my injury, which he did. However his opinions in his report were the total opposite. I did take a witness with me "just in case" however if you find yourself in the same situation I would record the evaluation to protect yourself in the long run.

The Best show details The Best
Aug 15th, 2012

Dr. Carter is a very caring empathetic physician with the best interest of his patients in mind. Skilled surgeon and Virginia is blessed to have him. If you have a bad hip or knee he is the one to see even if you have to travel some.

Bilateral knee Replacement show details Bilateral knee Replacement
Jun 26th, 2012

I have had 5 seperate knee surgeries over the past 30 years and was dreading have both knees replaced and the long recovery.This turned out to be the best operation and fast recovery of any previous surgeries. I have had staff infections on 2 of my previous operations and "knock on wood" this time I came home healthy.Thanks Dr Carter

Jun 22nd, 2012

VERY HAPPY WITH SERVICE.

The only doctor I'd recommend for a hip replacement! show details The only doctor I'd recommend for a hip replacement!
Jun 8th, 2012

Within minutes of meeting Dr. Carter I was ready to sign up for my hip replacement surgery. Not based on the meeting alone but all the recommendations I'd heard from friends prior to meeting him. Having experienced both the traditional approach and the anterior approach performed by Dr. Carter, I can honestly say the recovery period is 1/3rd the time and much less involved.Thank you Dr. Carter for performing and perfecting this anterior approach hip replaceent!

great bedside manner show details great bedside manner
Mar 14th, 2012

Dr. Carter focuses on you and listens! He makes you feel important as the patient. He gave me a varity of options and thoroughly went over each option.

I'm new again show details I'm new again
Jun 3rd, 2011

Dr. Carter replaced both my hips at once (bilateral). I am AMAZED by my recovery. After 2 weeks, I could go up and down stairs. By 3 weeks I could walk a mile with a cane. By one month I would walk 1 1/2 miles without a cane. At 2 months, I could walk 4-5 miles and felt better than I had in years. Jiffy hip is an extraordinary surgery and Dr. Carter is simply the BEST!

Apr 26th, 2011

Superbly competent. Excellent outcome. Kind. Visited patient in the hospital Saturday before Easter and on Easter.

nurse show details nurse
Apr 19th, 2011

Dr. Carter is an outstanding physician. I had a total hip replacement, anterior and did so well. He was there for me when I needed him and showed much caring and concern. I would and have recommended him to many people. I am in the medical field, RN, in Richmond and, whenever appropriate, I share my story and recommend that patients see him. They will never be sorry!!! Wonderful person and physician!!! Was back to work in 2 weeks on my feel all day without walker or cane! Can't beat that!!

hip replacement show details hip replacement
by the barter lady on May 3rd, 2010

dr carter replaced my hip with his the anterior approach [he does not cut the muscle] nov.2009,my recovery was awesome i was back to work in 2 weeks,YES i said 2 wks,and i am a barber so i am on my feet all day i did have some muscle pain for a few wks as they healed from the stretching to do the replacement,it was like a miracle,i have recommended dr carter to numereous clients that has had dr carter and all have been elated with his procedure[anterior approach to total hip replacement]i would highly recommend this new way to hip replacement and i would only trust dr carter to do it

DOC IS GREAT-OFFICE IS AVERAGE show details DOC IS GREAT-OFFICE IS AVERAGE
Feb 5th, 2010

DR CARTER CAME HIGHLY RATED BY A NEIGHBOR AND I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. MY OPERATION(HIP) WENT GREAT AND RECOVERY WAS RELATIVELY FAST. I PLAN TO HAVE DR CARTER REPLACE MY OTHER HIP ASAP.

Patient Relationship show details Patient Relationship
by Karen Trevett on Sep 24th, 2009

This surgeon did a hip replacement on me that failed. He did not spend 10 minutes with me prior to the surgery. I felt as if I was his #4 surgery of 5 that day. It also took 6 months to discover that the prosthesis had failed and was creating major pain even tho the xrays clearly showed the problem at 2 months. He just kept saying it would get better. I required a revision which I had another surgeon do with much greater success. I would not recommend Dr Carter.

Jul 9th, 2009

I liked that once a dx was made, Dr. Carter listed all options/possible outcomes, but i made the decision on which option i wanted. I was also impressed that if he did not know something i asked, he said he didn't know, but that he would find out, and he did.