Dr. Anton Plakseychuk MD, PHD Patient Reviews

3.6

• Good
  • Bad

June 29th, 2017
I have been to many surgeons in the city of Pittsburgh he is by far the best. He has saved my leg from amputation. He is my life saver. To me he is the best in Pittsburgh. His staff is also the best from office to hospital.

March 6th, 2017
TKA
all aspects excellent

February 16th, 2017
A truly skilled and caring surgeon
I am writing this review almost exactly a year out from a hip resurfacing. For those of you thinking about this surgery (as opposed to a total hip replacement) it is more difficult, more invasive and demands a surgeon with tons of experience in this specific procedure. Ideally he/she will have performed the surgery hundreds of times. In our local Pittsburgh community Dr. Plakseychuk is one of two or three who perform the procedure. I could not be more happy with the outcome, as a late 50's male athlete I wanted to return from an essentially destroyed hip and enforced sedentary lifestyle to hard exercise on a daily basis with no pain. Dr. Plakseychuk's skill and experience meant I was up and about in a day or so, no cane within 10 days, and on the machines again in month (sadly I dont want to risk going back to squash). Now a year out, I feel completely recovered. Dr. Plakseychuk is a spectacular and caring surgeon in a great treatment center (McGee Womens Bone and Joint Center) and I fully intend to return to his office when the other hip gives up the ghost in a couple of years. Hip surgery is generally a positive game changer, however my outcome and the choice of a resurfacing (suggested by Dr. Plakseychuk) has been stellar. I am a very happy, fully recovered, patient.

December 28th, 2016
A true Expert
Frankly, I am nothing less than grateful that this man did my surgery. Initially I was apprehensive about undergoing a hip resurfacing knowing full well that to undergo surgery is to literally put your life in someone's hands. Not only just your life on the table, but the quality of your life for a very long time thereafter. I had done medical malpractice cases during my legal career, and had seen the consequences of procedures gone bad. After doing all of my online research, I decided to trust Anton. He was up front with me on my initial consults. He didn't sugar-coat my situation. He answered all of my questions directly via email and gave me recommendations that were direct and professional. When I came out of surgery, I knew that I had undergone something major. It is now three months since my discharge from the hospital, and I can honestly say that not only am I glad I had the procedure, but I would go back to no-one other than this doctor should develop a similar problem in my other hip. In fact, if he relocated out of my city I would travel great distances for his service. I never post comments on websites, but Dr. Plakseychuk deserves this comment from me. I would unequivocally recommend him to anyone.

December 22nd, 2016
Dr. Plaksechuk explained things thoroughly, took his time to answer any questions and concerns that I had before and after surgery. Surgery went well and I made a quick recovery.

August 28th, 2016
this doctor has a nonchalant attitude about pain
This doctor ruined my health and my leg alignment. My leg has never been the same and is completely crooked and now doesn't straighten. No one has worked on it since and he left years of pain for me. I told him something was wrong after surgery and he wouldn't intervene the entire care after his initial work, he said he didn't want to go back and just let it heal. He brought me back to the O.R. 9 times for minor things but missed the major problem the leg was crooked (the doctors since have said the leg is out of the normal range by 15 degrees, which is a lot in orthopedics) and every doctor I saw after was a gasp at how he left me. This man should be fired. Right before my first surgery, and before being wheeled into O.R., he put a piece of paper in front of me and said I want you to write in your your own hand writing the risks and sign it and he read the risks to me in doctor language and I wrote them down and signed it. But in hind-site, he should have discussed this at the pre-op appointment days before and gone over it earlier so I could make sure this was the right choice for myself, not moments before just being wheeled into the operating room. Apparently he wasn't confident, wanted to perform the surgery but interested more in insuring his protection than mine. When he told me to do this, I was already on the table, underneath my hospital gown I was naked with an IV in my arm, I had little time to think about it. Had he presented this paper in the pre-op appointment, I would have had more time to think and maybe it would have dawned on me, something was wrong with the way he was handling it or maybe I needed to wait or get a different doctor all together who was confident in the procedure. UPMC is a teaching hospital, so what I have come to understand was they use you to experiment on and learn from. Also, while I was in the hospital recovering at UPMC, some patient walked off the roof and did not make it. Doesn't seem that anyone was watching this patient like they should have been and why was there access to rooftop? I don't know anymore details, but what a terrible story and experience. As for this doctor, when a patient complains of severe pain, that is a signal something is wrong and those details go right over his head. Scary. Please do not get involved with this surgeon. Travel if you have to. I wish I had never involved myself with this surgeon.

August 16th, 2016
Rude
He was dismissive about my husband's pain. Told him to move on. I would never go back there.All of the other staff were nice.

August 15th, 2016
Was a total JERK. Would give negative stars if available. Very rude. Very poor bedside manor. Just noticed where he was working before shut down. Now I know why. What an ignorant Rude person!!!! Had to give 5 stars for ease of appointment - got right in to see him. Guess I can see why now-- no one must like his attitude!!!

July 18th, 2016
Hip replacement
My mother had a total hip replacement in May. The surgery went well as far as I can tell. Unfortunately she died suddenly one week later of a pulmonary embolism which is common after these types of surgery. Its heartbreaking to know that a surgery that was supposed to make her life better, ultimately took her life. I think more time needs spent explaining the signs and symptoms of blood clots and pulmonary emboli. Also, do research about the medication they put you on for DVT prevention. My mom was only on aspirin after the surgery. I understand that is now an acceptable practice among orthopedics, but from my research the American college of chest surgeons do not promote that, presumably because they do not feel it provides enough protection against pulmonary embolus. There are several new drugs out that can be used post-operatively for DVT/PE prevention, but they are costly and can be difficult for insurance to cover. Coumadin is an option, but requires monitoring. Aspirin is cheap and no monitoring, so I'm sure hospitals and doctors are pushed to use it more than other drugs, unfortunately it did nothing for my mom. I can do nothing to bring her back, but I can hopefully let others know there are serious risks involved and clots are much more common and dangerous than patients may be told. I assumed she was getting the best care at a UPMC hospital. I just wish she had been given options about different medications instead of just being told - take aspirin and go home. As for the surgery and surgeon himself, I believe she felt comfortable with him and confident in him. I hope in time more family member of other patients come forward and the aspirin regimen post-op is re-evaluated, particularly in patients who are higher risk - over 65, overweight, limited mobility etc.

April 12th, 2016
Good experience
I liked how he spoke to me, was kind and friendly, answered all my questions. I had total knee replacement (going for 2nd one later this year). The scar is healing nicely (therapy people said it's one of the best they've seen). Only complaint is that in general, no one really explains what a difficult surgery and recovery this is. I don't know if they minimize it because it's routine to them, but it was a shock to me. I wasn't impressed with the unit at Magee and the care I got there, but as far as the surgery team and the doctor, I was happy with that part.

November 14th, 2015
Tremendous surgoen and hospital
Dr. Plakseychuck performed a hip resurfacing on my right hip. The results and overall experience could not have been better. My recovery has been rapid and with minimal discomfort. The entire staff on the 4th floor at Magee was professional, competent, observant, caring and kind. The nurses were responsive to my every need and the physical therapists were tremendous. I was in the hospital for two days and while I only saw Dr. Plakseychuk three times for about five minutes each, I was satisfied that he was on top of my recovery. The morning after surgery he told me to expect a pretty rough day (which it was, especially early) and that each day would show improvement. Those few minutes put me in the right frame of mind for my two PT sessions that day. I highly recommend this fine surgeon and this outstanding hospital. If I have the need for another surgery (likely will require one for my left hip in 5 years), I would not hesitate to return to Magee and Dr. Plakseychuk.

May 31st, 2015
Mr
Anton is a very humble man as well as a great surgeon