Dr. April Palumbo-Rasch MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.9

April 25th, 2016
Great experience at med center
Great with kids!!! Spent a lot of time with us even it was a really busy night.

September 4th, 2015
Horrible experience with this Doctor
It was honestly the worst doctor/patient experience we have ever had (as adults and also for our child). We were in town from Wilmington and had been at the zoo all day with our best friends and our two boys. That night, our youngest passed out after crying (which we later found out from two different pediatricians is a very common occurrence in children his age called "breath holding spells") but not knowing this at the time, we rushed him to the ER at Moses Cone to make sure everything was okay. After waiting five hours with our 14 month old in the waiting room (because we were obviously concerned and scared parents), she had the audacity to come in and treat us that night like we were suspects in a child abuse case. It was absurd. He had a small bruise on his head from where he had bumped his head (as most parents and pediatricians know is not unusual when you have a toddler who's just beginning to walk and has a 2 year old brother he plays with all the time). She started talking to the nurse like we weren't even in the room, pointing at birthmarks as "lesions" even told her to write the sunscreen on his head as a "white substance" instead of just asking us (when we were standing right there) what it was. I mean afterwards, telling people about our experience, it was almost comical how she acted. Instead of just asking his parents what it is on his head and finding out it's sun screen from his all day zoo trip, she just dictates it to her detective Dr. Watson nurse it was a "mysterious white substance" on his head. And that his birth marks were "possible lesions." I mean maybe it's not even that she's a bad doctor, just a bad Sherlock Homes. Anyways, as you can imagine, we were already exhausted from an entire day at the zoo with our toddlers and friends, compounded by the fact we were scared for the past 5 hours for our little one, and you can get a sense of our confusion and disbelief in the temperament of this doctor. She couldn't talk to us as concerned parents, but treated us the whole night like we were suspects in her criminal case. After she made us run X-rays on every limb of his body while he was screaming (which we knew was unnecessary, but you have to remember we were suspects in her case) she actually wanted to put an IV in our 14 month old to go on a 25 minute ambulance ride to another hospital. It was okay and safe to leave us waiting for 5 hours, but now, not another 25 minutes could he make it without being on an IV. Our 14 month old who had been stable the past 7 hours that we had been in the ER (who's CT scan and X-rays came back fine)...our 14 month old who we could avoid causing unnecessary trauma to by simply driving him ourselves to the next hospital. We eventually decided once they had left the room, at this point, we were just going to take him home and speak to our pediatrician who we trusted (because we really did not trust this lady). When we told her about our decision (as politely as we could, we didn't even mention how absurd we felt she was acting as we did not want to cause any trouble) she literally began to slam her hands on the bed in the room and tell us his death could be immanent and we would have to carry that on us for 18 years. It truly was absurd. We were in disbelief. The two other pediatricians who we saw once we brought him home both felt her actions were completely unnecessary and the IV and the ambulance, the excessive X-rays, all these things were and/or would have been unnecessary trauma for our little one. We found it funny to, because when she was slamming her hands on the bed in anger because we were not following her advice, she actually told us our pediatrician would agree with her. Not only did she not agree with her, but the second opinion from a pediatrician we had never seen before did not agree with her. She said it was an obvious case of breath-holding. We told ourselves maybe this lady (dr. Palumbo) has just seen some bad stuff, maybe she was having a horrible week. But as a previous CNA who worked for the formed director of Oncology at Wake Forest Baptist, I can definitely say it's unacceptable to take that out on your patients. Our first son had an abscess when he was about 18 months old, and we received care from Wake Forest Baptist medical center that was amazing, so maybe we do have higher standards for care. I suppose if you had a bug or something, this doctor would be fine. But if you have children or anything of importance you are concerned about, this is the last doctor I would trust. Oh, and I almost forgot the best part. After we disagreed with her medical advice and chose to go home, she called Social Services that night at 3am. I'm not kidding either. It was almost like her way of throwing a tantrum that we were rejecting her "medical advice" which she strongly accused us of being bad parents for, who could carry our son's death for 18 years. Before she left the room that night, after she had blasted us that our son could die at any minute, my husband told her there was no need for her fear mongering and that we are absolutely aware of what we were doing in rejecting her advice. (What was best for our son, honestly). Our guess is she was so offended at this, she did the only thing she could. Needless to say, it was a baseless claim filed. Our social workers were great, and they were able to easily realize this and what had happened, that not only were our sons in safe care, they said, but that it was clearly a great home and we were great parents. It was a small consolation for dealing with this dr. honestly, and I really didn't want to waste my time re-visiting that night with her, but I felt ultimately I should write these complaints out just in case it saves any other parents/patients the same emotional trauma. Thanks for reading, it was therapeutic just getting it out! I will say, other than this doctor, the staff at Moses Cone was great. The helper/volunteers were especially kind and accommodating.

June 25th, 2014
Dr. Palumbo was very efficient. She got things done in a timely manner but made sure all my questions were addressed. She's got a great bedside manner.

September 28th, 2010
Accurate and great bedside manner
First let me say I hate doctors and hospitals. A family member of mine had a bad experience. But I couldn't ignore the problem I was having. We met Dr. Palumbo in the middle of the night this past weekend. It was really busy but she was sweet and polite and updated us frequently on what was going on. She took time to really explain what was going on to me and my wife. She really took time with us and addressed our concerns and she got us to the right specialist. We really appreciated it.

June 10th, 2010
Amazing Doctor!
She's fast, accurate, and pretty easy on the eyes too!