Dr. Arthur Barrie Is this you?

3.6

Have you seen Dr. Arthur Barrie?

Posted on August 10th, 2014

My daughter had not been feeling well for about three years and it became more serious as time went on. We were extremely frustrated with trying to figure out why she never felt well. Her symptoms were: pain under the ribs on the right side, extreme constipation, nausea, hair loss, unable to sleep well, got easily sick, an overall feeling of not being well or ever feeling okay, always tired, and sudden weight gain without the ability to lose it no matter how much she dieted and worked out. Her PCP said that we needed to start hitting each of the specialists, one by one, to methodically eliminate the different possibilities. Her symptoms were very much like gallbladder symptoms or thyroid symptoms and family history indicated that it might be either one of those. We first saw an endocrinologist, but all of those tests came back negative. We decided to see a gastroenterologist as the next step. We booked an appointment with Dr. Barrie at Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh. Dr. Barrie spent time talking to my daughter and asking her various questions. To each answer that she gave him he replied, “That sounds like gallbladder.” This was repeated a lot throughout the appointment. After Dr. Barrie did a physical examination of her, he determined that she must have a pinched nerve inside her abdomen, simply because she was able to pinpoint the pain vs. having a less specific pain. In the end, he was not willing to order the tests to eliminate the possibility of it being gallbladder problems. At the conclusion of the appointment he offered to only treat the symptoms with medication. I explained to him that we did not want to treat the symptoms that she was experiencing, but, we wanted to find out what was wrong with her. He refused to order any tests that might help us to rule out gallbladder problems. Not only was Dr. Barrie not effective in helping us to rule out any conditions, it also became apparent that, during the exam, he became extremely annoyed with us – not sure why. We continued the search for a solution to her problems and booked a later appointment with UPMC Dr. Kenneth Lee. Dr. Lee was wonderful. He also went through the same line of questioning about her symptoms. Although he was unsure as to whether her gallbladder was the problem, he ordered a HIDA scan and a gastric emptying test to check to see if it was her gallbladder. The tests came back negative. Dr. Lee then asked us to see Dr. Klaus Bielefeldt, also a wonderful doctor. Dr. Bielefeldt, again, went through the same line of questioning regarding the gallbladder. He asked my daughter to try the paleo diet before he ordered anything else. Very quickly, after starting the paleo diet, she found out that she has a gluten intolerance. She has avoided gluten and, for the first time in about 5 years, feels great. The only way that we were able to find an answer, to why she never felt well, was to perform the various tests needed to disqualify the different physical problems. Dr. Barrie was not willing to do this. It was a waste of time, money and travel to have the appointment with him. However, Dr. Kenneth Lee and Dr. Klaus Bielefeldt come highly recommended for their compassion, their concern and their help in finding a diagnosis for my daughter. It was many frustrating years in the coming.

Caring, thorough, proactive

Posted on March 26th, 2014

I cannot say enough what a great job dr. Barrie has done in managing my Crohn's disease. He definitely stays on top of my disease and watches my bloodwork very closely. It gives me peace of mind to know my disease is being managed by an expert.

A Great Doctor

Posted on April 15th, 2013

I am a patient of Dr. Barrie and I am so grateful to have found him. He is extremely CARING and very conscientious when deciding treatment. He is remarkably thorough and offers detailed explanations. He cares about his patients and takes my disease very seriously. He visited me countless times while I was hospitalized and several times after my surgery. I trust Dr. Barrie and both my husband and I feel he is a great GI specialist and we are lucky to have him.

Posted on February 5th, 2013

Horrible physician who failed at diagnosing my extreme case of IBS. He did one procedure (colonoscopy and enoscopy) and because there was no real damage, ulcers or adhesions, he gave up. He did not even take into consideration that it was IBS. I complained of the classic symptoms that reflected IBS. I have a severe case. After three ER visits and two hospital stays, prescribed pain medication and given loads of digestive advice. I had been suffering for four months and had gotten no answers from this man. He treated me as though I was a hypochondriac, was overly condescending and

Posted on August 10th, 2017