Orthopaedic Surgeon, Neurological Surgeon, Surgeon
1131 Wilshire Blvd
Ste 100
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-440-2999
Locations and availability (3)

• Currently 3.5510204081633 of 4 stars
  • Currently 3.5510204081633 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  The best minimally invasive surgeon  |  show details
by Sam S on Apr 26th, 2014

Doc Shamie did a minimally invasive surgery on my back and I went home less than a day after surgery. I am 6 months out and by pain has been gone...right after surgery. Best surgeon.

|  Highly recommend!  |  show details
Jan 29th, 2014

Very professional and friendly. He has the best bedside manner. Surgically, the best intown.

|  The Best!  |  show details
by John K on Jan 7th, 2014

I admire this man! He is truly the best doctor I have been to. Rid me of my problem from surgery. Highly recommend!

|  Best results!  |  show details
by Tom S. on Nov 14th, 2013

Had surgery that didn't work. Went to Dr. Shamie who was able to fix me and the poor job of the other doc. I really appreciate Dr. Shamie's expertise...forever grateful.

|  Great experience with this surgeon  |  show details
by John P. on Jun 15th, 2013

I have nothing but utmost respect for this doctor. He is friendly and incredibly skilled. Humble and easy to talk to. Rid me of my long term pain. The Best...look no further.

|  L5 spondylolisthesis  |  show details
by Claudia M on May 16th, 2013

Dr. Shamie was very professional and attentive. He addressed all of my concerns--pre and post-operation. Always answered any and all questions clearly, taking the time to explain things medically and in layman's terms. I was only 16 when I had my surgery, and was obviously very scared but after having exhausted all other treatment options Dr. Shamie assured me that surgery was my best option. We literally tried everything before surgery. Though his Santa Monica office is always very busy, every appointment was worth the wait!

|  Fully Satisfied  |  show details
by Jim M on Apr 7th, 2013

I am fully satifsfied by this doctor's care. He is professional and his surgery rid me of my sciatica pain.

|  retired  |  show details
by Bob Tommaso on Mar 26th, 2013

I tried Dr. Shamie's "X-Stop" interspinus spacer surgery in spite of negative recommendations regarding the procedure from another impressive neurosurgeon. He said that he had preformed the same surgery numerous times with bad results. In spite of that I decided to go with Dr. Shamie. The surgery with Dr. Shamie came off beautifully with excellent results and I am totally pleased with the outcome and I am extremely happy that I did not follow the recommendations to not have the "X-Stop" procedure.

|  Excellent facility...Outstanding Surgeon  |  show details
by John K on Mar 6th, 2013

My experience with Dr. Shamie at UCLA was amazing. He knows minimally invasive surgery! I was cured after his surgery...I am so thankfull. Highly recommended.

|  Cured me!  |  show details
by Bob on Feb 8th, 2013

I had surgery at Cedars and didnt improve. Eventhough I get most of my care at Cedars, I was recommended to go to Dr. Shamie. He performed a minimally invasive surgery and my pain is gone. He is very skilled but also very personable. I recommend him highly.

|  Simply the best!  |  show details
Jan 28th, 2013

Very professional. Told me I dont need surgery; despite what other surgeons had told me. I am pain free now without any surgery. I admire this doctor.

|  Amazing Experience!  |  show details
Dec 1st, 2012

He diagnosed me and rid me of my pain with minimally invasive surgery. I was referred to him by a friend who was told by others he needs surgery...Shamie told him he will get better without surgery and he did. I have heard he is sought after all over the world and international patients come to see him. I respect and adore this doctor.

|  Best Treatment!  |  show details
Sep 19th, 2012

This doctor is simply the best I have been to for my back. He is courteous, kind-hearted and very caring. He took his time to listen to me and diagnosed me on the spot. I am now 2 months after surgery and couldnt be happier!

|  Thorough, knowledgeable, and not at all "scalpel happy"  |  show details
Sep 4th, 2012

I have been having lumbar spine problems for two years. Also seeing a doctor who recommended a major surgery, ALIF/PLIF spinal fusion. I'm young and this sounded very scary, so I sought out Dr. Shamie for a second opinion. He did not try to sell me on an operation. In fact, he did his best to persuade me to stick with a more conservative approach. He is very bright and has an air of confidence, but I still found him to be plain-spoken and compassionate. A few other things about my experience: it didn't take me long at all to schedule an appointment. The offices are really nice and cheerful, in a convenient location. The office staff, including some of the nurses, maybe aren't the sharpest Crayons in the box. Once I got into the medical exam room, I had to wait nearly 45 minutes. But all in all, I was very satisfied and would totally trust my back to this doctor. Looks like I am going to "fire" the other guy.

|  Top notch!  |  show details
Aug 30th, 2012

I traveled from Qatar to see this doctor. I was terribly impressed by his professionalism. Even-though I was told by another surgeon in Europe to do surgery, Dr. Shamie treated me with medication and helped me avoid a big (and unnecessary) operation. I salute him for his professionalism.

|  I cant say enough about this doctor!  |  show details
Jun 19th, 2012

He was rated as the best academic spine surgeon in the western US...I can see why.

|  Simply the best!  |  show details
May 31st, 2012

He rid me of my chronic pain with a minimally invasive surgery. I am cured! I recommend him to all my family and friends.

|  Best spinesurgeon!  |  show details
May 31st, 2012

I cant stay enough about him. He is the best and most honest surgeon I met.

|  Amazing surgeon and physician....DO NOT believe the negative reviews!  |  show details
May 29th, 2012

I myselft am a surgeon and a physician and researched a great deal about where and to whom I should go for a consultation. Over and over again Dr. Shamie's name came up with colleagues and patients in the most positive light. His integrity, professionalism and attention to detail is unsurpassed. He not only made a thorough evaluation and diagnosis of my rare and difficult to treat spine condition but also surgically treated me to cure. I have referred many patients to him since and I would say he has dissuaded from surgery as many patients as he has offered surgery to. In NO way is he pushy when it comes to surgery...he is simply progressive and cutting edge so for the one review stating that he pushed surgery when others did not....it's very possible that the other surgeons simply didn't have knowledge nor the resources to offer the cutting edge surgeries with high level of success that Dr. Shamie has the expertise to offer his patients. Without ANY hesitation I have recommended family and friends to Dr. Shamie. I wish more doctors would be like him.......

|  Dishonest Doctor  |  show details
May 21st, 2012

Dr. Shamie overbills his patients and codes for procedures that he does not perform. I would not trust this doctor

|  I was referred to him as the "best in LA"  |  show details
Apr 29th, 2012

There is a reason this doctor is so well known and respected. I was referred to him by my friend who is a prominent physician in the area. Shamie took his time and heard me out and diagnosed my condition effectively and efficiently. He got rid of my pain once and for all. His surgery was a true success. I give him my highest rating.

|  A true professional!  |  show details
Apr 17th, 2012

I came to see him from Hawaii as recommended by a friend who had surgery with him. He was an amazing doctor. I greatly respect him. He got rid of my friends pain. He told me I dont need surgery and comforted me. I respect a surgeon who tells you you dont need surgery!

|  A Doctor's Doctor!  |  show details
Apr 16th, 2012

I am an orthopaedic surgeon and found Dr. Shamie through a colleague recommendation. He did my spine surgery and I have had no pain since. I am back to work full-time and able to take care of my own patients pain free! Some of the comments made here are unfair and frivolous. He is a true professional and a humble doctor for someone of his stature. I highly recommend him.

|  The best doctor I have been to!  |  show details
Apr 16th, 2012

He rid me of my chronic pain. He was honest and professional. My recovery was amazingly fast. God bless this doctor!

|  AVOID!!  |  show details
Mar 28th, 2012

Very unprofessional. Not caring and not knowledgeable.

|  Very unprofessional  |  show details
Mar 26th, 2012

Dr. Shamie is very unprofessional. He does not understand the patient's concerns. He has a huge ego and he thinks he's G-d!

|  show details
Feb 6th, 2012

I'm here to stand not in the defense of Dr. Shamie but only to attest to his ability. What is nice about the web is anyone can unleash any unwarranted viral comment about anyone without consequence. My personal experience with Dr. Shamie... I am 90% better after my surgery in November of 2011. If you have had a negative experience with Dr. Shamie, State the specifics (names, dates and outcome) otherwise I would hope for the good people that desperately need his help, let them consider you might have "an iron in the fire"... Nothing more need be said... AP

|  He cured me!  |  show details
Sep 29th, 2011

simply the best and I agree with all the great remarks this surgeon has received. Just what I expected from a UCLA doctor.

|  Best Ortho Surgeon Around  |  show details
Jun 22nd, 2011

Dr. Shamie is just awesome .. none better at what he does, getting an appt is tough but he is good as gold if you get in. His assistant / admin isnt the friendliest always, and does not return messages/calls, but that is not his fault.

|  Best Experience!  |  show details
Jun 19th, 2011

Amazing doctor. Cant say enough.

|  He is truly an amazing doctor  |  show details
Jun 17th, 2011

Dr. Shamie is incredibly knowledgable, an amazing surgeon, compassionate and caring and without a doubt an exceptional spine surgeon who treats his patients with the utmost attention and respect. He exemplifies the attributes one looks for in a physician/surgeon.

|  MIRACLE SURGEON  |  show details
Apr 15th, 2011

I was fortunate to have Dr. Shamie as my surgeon when I had major neck surgery. From my initial consultation visit and through the surgery and rehabilitation he was always caring and concerned. His recovery and rehabilitation timeline was 100 percent correct. I woke up in recovery free of the symptoms that led to the analysis that I needed reconstructive neck surgery. I remain pain free and grateful that Dr. Shamie gave me a normal life again. He is a great doctor and teacher. Every UCLA staff person that helped me pre and post surgery had the same caring ethics as Dr. Shamie. He is truly a miracle worker and is developing wonderful doctors and support staff for now and the future. I will be forever grateful for having Dr. Shamie as my surgeon.

|  A Modern day Miracle worker!  |  show details
by Alison Pierce on Mar 19th, 2011

In June of 2010 ago,I flew from Spokane,WA to LA in order to seek this doctor's expertise. I had sustained a fall one year prior that left me with severe low back pain. From the first day that I met with this fine doctor, he was spot on with his diagnosis. His diagnosis was Sacroilitis(Inflammation and hypermobility of the the SI-joints)His office in Santa Monica worked with my doctors in Spokane in order to confirm this diagnosis through CT and radiological exams. After the necessary reports were obtained, Surgery was scheduled. In Washington state there are no doctors currently offering long term relief for treatment of this disorder. However,as a leading spinal surgeon, Nick Shamie is pioneering new, minimally invasive surgical techniques for the relief of Arthritis pain. After a 1 day hospital stay,I returned to Washington State with a new lease on life. Words cannot express how indebted I feel to this surgeon for his excellent work.

|  Guru of new and innovative surgeries.  |  show details
Feb 18th, 2011

I spoke to lots of surgeons before I decided who to go with. Dr. Shamie offered me the least invasive method. I was out of the hospital the next day and to this day (more than 2 years later) I am still exstatic about my pain relief. The world needs more doctors like this one!

|  show details
Jan 19th, 2011

This is a honest doctor! I saw him after being recommended surgery by another surgeon, and he explained to me why I didnt need surgery. Few months later, I am pain free...without surgery!!

|  I have nothing but praise for this doctor  |  show details
Jan 10th, 2011

His staff is courteous, his diagnosis was accurate and swift. I live all the way in Washington and his office worked with together with my doctors here in Spokane to achieve an accurate diagnosis prior to surgery.

|  I traveled cross country for his curing hands.  |  show details
Nov 28th, 2010

After honestly discussing my difficult spinal condition with the potential risks and benefits, he comforted me with his professional and carin demeanor. Others had told me there are no options for me. He cured me with his life changing surgery...I am forever grateful.

|  Best doctor I have been to!  |  show details
Oct 27th, 2010

Very caring and right on with his diagnosis.

|  Amazing Doctor!  |  show details
by Mike on Oct 8th, 2010

He diagnosed me and rid me of my pain...after no other surgeon I saw made the right diagnosis