Orthopaedic Surgeon, Neurological Surgeon, Surgeon
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
He is too busy show details He is too busy
by Rx on Sep 11th, 2016

He has no time to listen or understand or review medical reports I waited for 1 month for appointment, during my visit, another doctor came and Spoke to me for 3-4 mins Then dr shaimi came to see me with he spent less than 2 mins He just does a quick determination based on facts provided to him by another doctors whether the patient needs a surgery If not, he doesn't care to talk He even said, hope we don't have see each other again :(

Feb 2nd, 2016

Outstanding surgeon

What a Waste! show details What a Waste!
Nov 20th, 2015

Dr. Shamie operated on my lower back in an effort to relieve my severe pain. The result? Total failure. No pain relief at all!

Mark as Helpful  | 11 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Thank you Dr. Shamie! show details Thank you Dr. Shamie!
by Aubrie Ahmadpour on Nov 20th, 2015

I'm writing this review on behalf of my entire family to thank Dr. Shamie for treating my mother with excellent and compassionate care. My mom recently had lumbar spine surgery and obviously prior to surgery my family was very nervous. Dr. Shamie and his entire staff are highly skilled, caring, and made great efforts to put us at ease while also delivering remarkable results. Prior to surgery, my mom had terrible back pain that was negatively impacting her daily activities and causing her to experience shooting pains down her legs. It's been less than a week since surgery and my mom is so happy with the results thus far. She's up and walking every day to gain back her strength, says she no longer experiences pain running down her legs, and is working with a physical therapist to keep making progress in her recovery. I truly feel that Dr. Shamie treated my mom like his own family; he was kind, honest, and took the time to discuss all of our questions and concerns. My dad can't stop raving about what a class act and good guy Dr. Shamie is. This doctor sincerely cares about his patients and has excellent bed side manner. Furthermore, he is one of the highest regarded spine surgeons in the country both for his skills and integrity. My family and I can now attest firsthand to his amazing reputation. I spent months researching surgeons and I'm so happy and grateful we went with Dr. Shamie. If you or a loved one are in need of similar medical intervention, I can't think of a better surgeon for the job. Thank you for everything Dr. Shamie!

He is highly recommended for a good reason! show details He is highly recommended for a good reason!
by Suhail on Oct 27th, 2015

I traveled from overseas because he was very sought after in my country. He has many dignitary patients who recommended him. He also has told many of my friends they dont need surgery when others have pushed surgery on them. Dr. Shamie is a true professional. He did the surgery I need and now I am free of my pain that I had for two years. I recommend him with highest regards.

Worth the trip show details Worth the trip
Feb 19th, 2015

He cured me of my disc herniation with a minimally invasive surgery. He was worth my trip to LA.

Look No Further...He's the Best show details Look No Further...He's the Best
by Gwenn C. on Feb 10th, 2015

I was in severe pain for 6 months. Dr. Shamie performed a microdiscectomy and I immediately had relief from the pain. The surgery and the recovery were less painful than the injury. Dr. Shamie also has a fantastic personality. I highly recommend him.

Jan 31st, 2015

My mom at 85 had an XStop procedure which. Help her a lot. Thank you thank you dr. Shamie you are amazing

The best minimally invasive surgeon show details The best minimally invasive surgeon
by Sam S on Apr 26th, 2014

Doc Shamie did a minimally invasive surgery on my back and I went home less than a day after surgery. I am 6 months out and by pain has been gone...right after surgery. Best surgeon.

Highly recommend! show details Highly recommend!
Jan 29th, 2014

Very professional and friendly. He has the best bedside manner. Surgically, the best intown.

The Best! show details The Best!
by John K on Jan 7th, 2014

I admire this man! He is truly the best doctor I have been to. Rid me of my problem from surgery. Highly recommend!

Best results! show details Best results!
by Tom S. on Nov 14th, 2013

Had surgery that didn't work. Went to Dr. Shamie who was able to fix me and the poor job of the other doc. I really appreciate Dr. Shamie's expertise...forever grateful.

Great experience with this surgeon show details Great experience with this surgeon
by John P. on Jun 15th, 2013

I have nothing but utmost respect for this doctor. He is friendly and incredibly skilled. Humble and easy to talk to. Rid me of my long term pain. The Best...look no further.

L5 spondylolisthesis show details L5 spondylolisthesis
by Claudia M on May 16th, 2013

Dr. Shamie was very professional and attentive. He addressed all of my concerns--pre and post-operation. Always answered any and all questions clearly, taking the time to explain things medically and in layman's terms. I was only 16 when I had my surgery, and was obviously very scared but after having exhausted all other treatment options Dr. Shamie assured me that surgery was my best option. We literally tried everything before surgery. Though his Santa Monica office is always very busy, every appointment was worth the wait!

retired show details retired
by Bob Tommaso on Mar 26th, 2013

I tried Dr. Shamie's "X-Stop" interspinus spacer surgery in spite of negative recommendations regarding the procedure from another impressive neurosurgeon. He said that he had preformed the same surgery numerous times with bad results. In spite of that I decided to go with Dr. Shamie. The surgery with Dr. Shamie came off beautifully with excellent results and I am totally pleased with the outcome and I am extremely happy that I did not follow the recommendations to not have the "X-Stop" procedure.

Excellent facility...Outstanding Surgeon show details Excellent facility...Outstanding Surgeon
by John K on Mar 6th, 2013

My experience with Dr. Shamie at UCLA was amazing. He knows minimally invasive surgery! I was cured after his surgery...I am so thankfull. Highly recommended.

Cured me! show details Cured me!
by Bob on Feb 8th, 2013

I had surgery at Cedars and didnt improve. Eventhough I get most of my care at Cedars, I was recommended to go to Dr. Shamie. He performed a minimally invasive surgery and my pain is gone. He is very skilled but also very personable. I recommend him highly.

Simply the best! show details Simply the best!
Jan 28th, 2013

Very professional. Told me I dont need surgery; despite what other surgeons had told me. I am pain free now without any surgery. I admire this doctor.

Amazing Experience! show details Amazing Experience!
Dec 1st, 2012

He diagnosed me and rid me of my pain with minimally invasive surgery. I was referred to him by a friend who was told by others he needs surgery...Shamie told him he will get better without surgery and he did. I have heard he is sought after all over the world and international patients come to see him. I respect and adore this doctor.

Best Treatment! show details Best Treatment!
Sep 19th, 2012

This doctor is simply the best I have been to for my back. He is courteous, kind-hearted and very caring. He took his time to listen to me and diagnosed me on the spot. I am now 2 months after surgery and couldnt be happier!

Thorough, knowledgeable, and not at all "scalpel happy" show details Thorough, knowledgeable, and not at all "scalpel happy"
Sep 4th, 2012

I have been having lumbar spine problems for two years. Also seeing a doctor who recommended a major surgery, ALIF/PLIF spinal fusion. I'm young and this sounded very scary, so I sought out Dr. Shamie for a second opinion. He did not try to sell me on an operation. In fact, he did his best to persuade me to stick with a more conservative approach. He is very bright and has an air of confidence, but I still found him to be plain-spoken and compassionate. A few other things about my experience: it didn't take me long at all to schedule an appointment. The offices are really nice and cheerful, in a convenient location. The office staff, including some of the nurses, maybe aren't the sharpest Crayons in the box. Once I got into the medical exam room, I had to wait nearly 45 minutes. But all in all, I was very satisfied and would totally trust my back to this doctor. Looks like I am going to "fire" the other guy.

Top notch! show details Top notch!
Aug 30th, 2012

I traveled from Qatar to see this doctor. I was terribly impressed by his professionalism. Even-though I was told by another surgeon in Europe to do surgery, Dr. Shamie treated me with medication and helped me avoid a big (and unnecessary) operation. I salute him for his professionalism.

I cant say enough about this doctor! show details I cant say enough about this doctor!
Jun 19th, 2012

He was rated as the best academic spine surgeon in the western US...I can see why.

Simply the best! show details Simply the best!
May 31st, 2012

He rid me of my chronic pain with a minimally invasive surgery. I am cured! I recommend him to all my family and friends.

Best spinesurgeon! show details Best spinesurgeon!
May 31st, 2012

I cant stay enough about him. He is the best and most honest surgeon I met.

Amazing surgeon and physician....DO NOT believe the negative reviews! show details Amazing surgeon and physician....DO NOT believe the negative reviews!
May 29th, 2012

I myselft am a surgeon and a physician and researched a great deal about where and to whom I should go for a consultation. Over and over again Dr. Shamie's name came up with colleagues and patients in the most positive light. His integrity, professionalism and attention to detail is unsurpassed. He not only made a thorough evaluation and diagnosis of my rare and difficult to treat spine condition but also surgically treated me to cure. I have referred many patients to him since and I would say he has dissuaded from surgery as many patients as he has offered surgery to. In NO way is he pushy when it comes to surgery...he is simply progressive and cutting edge so for the one review stating that he pushed surgery when others did not....it's very possible that the other surgeons simply didn't have knowledge nor the resources to offer the cutting edge surgeries with high level of success that Dr. Shamie has the expertise to offer his patients. Without ANY hesitation I have recommended family and friends to Dr. Shamie. I wish more doctors would be like him.......

I was referred to him as the "best in LA" show details I was referred to him as the "best in LA"
Apr 29th, 2012

There is a reason this doctor is so well known and respected. I was referred to him by my friend who is a prominent physician in the area. Shamie took his time and heard me out and diagnosed my condition effectively and efficiently. He got rid of my pain once and for all. His surgery was a true success. I give him my highest rating.

A true professional! show details A true professional!
Apr 17th, 2012

I came to see him from Hawaii as recommended by a friend who had surgery with him. He was an amazing doctor. I greatly respect him. He got rid of my friends pain. He told me I dont need surgery and comforted me. I respect a surgeon who tells you you dont need surgery!

A Doctor's Doctor! show details A Doctor's Doctor!
Apr 16th, 2012

I am an orthopaedic surgeon and found Dr. Shamie through a colleague recommendation. He did my spine surgery and I have had no pain since. I am back to work full-time and able to take care of my own patients pain free! Some of the comments made here are unfair and frivolous. He is a true professional and a humble doctor for someone of his stature. I highly recommend him.

The best doctor I have been to! show details The best doctor I have been to!
Apr 16th, 2012

He rid me of my chronic pain. He was honest and professional. My recovery was amazingly fast. God bless this doctor!

AVOID!! show details AVOID!!
Mar 28th, 2012

Very unprofessional. Not caring and not knowledgeable.

Very unprofessional show details Very unprofessional
Mar 26th, 2012

Dr. Shamie is very unprofessional. He does not understand the patient's concerns. He has a huge ego and he thinks he's G-d!

He cured me! show details He cured me!
Sep 29th, 2011

simply the best and I agree with all the great remarks this surgeon has received. Just what I expected from a UCLA doctor.

Best Ortho Surgeon Around show details Best Ortho Surgeon Around
Jun 22nd, 2011

Dr. Shamie is just awesome .. none better at what he does, getting an appt is tough but he is good as gold if you get in. His assistant / admin isnt the friendliest always, and does not return messages/calls, but that is not his fault.

Best Experience! show details Best Experience!
Jun 19th, 2011

Amazing doctor. Cant say enough.

He is truly an amazing doctor show details He is truly an amazing doctor
Jun 17th, 2011

Dr. Shamie is incredibly knowledgable, an amazing surgeon, compassionate and caring and without a doubt an exceptional spine surgeon who treats his patients with the utmost attention and respect. He exemplifies the attributes one looks for in a physician/surgeon.

MIRACLE SURGEON show details MIRACLE SURGEON
Apr 15th, 2011

I was fortunate to have Dr. Shamie as my surgeon when I had major neck surgery. From my initial consultation visit and through the surgery and rehabilitation he was always caring and concerned. His recovery and rehabilitation timeline was 100 percent correct. I woke up in recovery free of the symptoms that led to the analysis that I needed reconstructive neck surgery. I remain pain free and grateful that Dr. Shamie gave me a normal life again. He is a great doctor and teacher. Every UCLA staff person that helped me pre and post surgery had the same caring ethics as Dr. Shamie. He is truly a miracle worker and is developing wonderful doctors and support staff for now and the future. I will be forever grateful for having Dr. Shamie as my surgeon.

Guru of new and innovative surgeries. show details Guru of new and innovative surgeries.
Feb 18th, 2011

I spoke to lots of surgeons before I decided who to go with. Dr. Shamie offered me the least invasive method. I was out of the hospital the next day and to this day (more than 2 years later) I am still exstatic about my pain relief. The world needs more doctors like this one!

I have nothing but praise for this doctor show details I have nothing but praise for this doctor
Jan 10th, 2011

His staff is courteous, his diagnosis was accurate and swift. I live all the way in Washington and his office worked with together with my doctors here in Spokane to achieve an accurate diagnosis prior to surgery.

I traveled cross country for his curing hands. show details I traveled cross country for his curing hands.
Nov 28th, 2010

After honestly discussing my difficult spinal condition with the potential risks and benefits, he comforted me with his professional and carin demeanor. Others had told me there are no options for me. He cured me with his life changing surgery...I am forever grateful.

Best doctor I have been to! show details Best doctor I have been to!
Oct 27th, 2010

Very caring and right on with his diagnosis.

Amazing Doctor! show details Amazing Doctor!
by Mike on Oct 8th, 2010

He diagnosed me and rid me of my pain...after no other surgeon I saw made the right diagnosis