Dr. Atif Iqbal MD Patient Reviews

• General Surgery Fountain Valley, CA

• Good
  • Bad

February 24th, 2017
Doctor uses unsterile surgical facilities
I went to get my ventral hernia fixed. This doctor did not show up for the surgery because he had an emergency and had to stay with the patient. However, I had been prepped for surgery at a surgical center that was not exactly sterile. The operating rooms were open to the hallway and the doors wide open to bacteria loaded air. I cannot respect a doctor that does not use sterile protocols for surgical interventions. Furthermore, this doctor should know better than to place patients in nonsterile medical facilities when doing open body surgical repairs. I will never go back to a doctor that puts my health on the line by risking infection due to surgery.

December 18th, 2016
Dr. Iqbal will take great care of you!
At the beginning, I was very concerned with having surgery and the results of the LINX procedure. However, Dr. Iqbal was very good at walking me through the steps of the procedure and the expected results. He did a wonderful job with the procedure. I experienced minimal pain and I am now doing great 3 weeks after surgery. I would highly recommend him to anyone who is having severe issues with GERD and needs a LINX procedure. He will take great care of you!

June 15th, 2016
Highest of Recommendations for Dr. Atif Iqbal
I write with the highest of recommendations for Dr. Atif Iqbal. He performed a Nissen fundoplication to repair my hiatal hernia and I could not have had a better experience. I was in/out of hospital in one day, but most importantly, from the moment I awoke in recovery, I had NO pain. After care directions were clear and easy to follow. Recovery time was short. Great doctor, great office staff, great experience. I am in awe of his skill and professionalism and ever grateful for his dedication to his patients.

April 6th, 2016
The BEST!!!
Dr. Iqbal is the best!!! He's skilled surgeon that makes you feel comfortable with the diagnosis and before surgery. Post-Op care is excellent as well. My husband and I just love him!! Thank you Dr. Iqbal.

February 14th, 2016
My friend recommended Dr. Iqbal, because he performed the LINX surgery on one of her friend's sons with spectacular results. Upon my consultation with Dr. Iqbal and two subsequent tests, it appeared my hiatal hernia made me ineligible for the LINX surgery, but I was able to have the Nissen surgery. Dr. Iqbal is extremely kind, caring, and patient. He made himself available to answer my questions at any time (and I had a lot of questions, given the amount of conflicting information online regarding the Nissen surgery). When I had the surgery, he took extra time both pre-op and post-op to brief my friend on what to expect. He is an expert surgeon. I am in the middle of my third week after the surgery, and with the exception of some shoulder pain the first day, I have had no pain. He provided detailed instructions on what to do while you are healing and told me to contact him should I have any questions. I had a follow-up appointment on my two-week mark and am scheduled for an appointment three months from now. I've had acid reflux for three and a half years due to a hiatal hernia. After trying everything from modified diets, to therapy, nothing worked, and my symptoms were just getting worse. Already three weeks post-surgery, and I cannot begin to tell you how much this has changed my life for the better. I know surgery isn't for everyone, but if it becomes necessary, I cannot recommend a better surgeon and doctor.

January 29th, 2016
Excellent, trustworthy surgeon with the best personality and sense of humor!
Dr. Iqbal is an excellent surgeon with the kindest personality and a fabulous sense of humor to make anyone feel at ease when having to discuss such intimate medical issues. I had a double hernia for which doctor performed a type of surgery that only required 3 small incisions through my belly button and lower area. Only because is he highly trained in his field, was he able to do this type of surgery on a hernia and not have to cut me open with a long recovery. I highly recommend Dr. Iqbal not only for his surgical expertise but his caring, calm and outgoing personality as well as his superb staff - they are all super nice and extremely efficient! When faced with this type of surgery the last thing you want to deal with is an inexperienced surgeon with a dry personality. Dr. Iqbal will put you at ease straight away and explain in terms you can understand what he is proposing to perform and what the results will be. But I also want to state that I am in excellent health and take great care of myself, hence my recovery was enhanced by my state of fitness for which assisted the rapid recovery period. A great surgeon you will find in Dr. Iqbal and someone who will be up on all the latest procedures to better benefit your health and recovery!

January 22nd, 2016
I was diagnosed with GERDS when I was 18 years old and suffered from severe acid reflux and heartburn for 6 years. I was referred to Dr. Iqbal and from the very first meeting he was caring, knowledgeable, and nurturing to my symptoms. He recommended a couple tests which confirmed that I had a pretty severe hiatal hernia in my esophagus. Dr. Iqbal performed Nissen fundoplication surgery and skillfully repaired my stomach and esophagus. Not only is he extremely talented but he is also thoughtful with his patients. Due to insurance complications, he ended up having to do my surgery on a Friday afternoon, which he normally doesn't do. Dr. Iqbal made sure to explain the surgery, provide his cell phone number, and check up on me prior to and after the surgery. I am extremely grateful for him and feel so lucky to live the rest of my life symptom free.

December 14th, 2015
GERD Cured
I've had heart burn ever since I got married, started to gain weight, and had a stressful job. So I would just live it and pop some antacids until it would go away for a while. It got to he point where I had to carry antacid pills with me all the time. Sometimes I'd wake up in the middle of the night with acid coming back up my throat. What a horrible feeling. After I retired I finally decided to do something about my GERD. I wasn't even sure that's what it was until I met Dr.Iqbal and he suggested a whole battery of tests to confirm what he and I suspected. After it was confirmed he gave me some choices as to how to cure the disease. I didn't want to keep taking acid reducers forever, and the Linx device still had only a few years of medical history. So I opted for the standard fundoplication operation. The operation went well and my recovery was bearable and I even lost some weight. I can now eat almost anything and haven't had one single antacid tablet for 5 months.

November 20th, 2015
My Success story
After years of failing, succeeding, and failing again with diets I finally reached a point where I was tired of feeling bad about my size and lack of energy. Plus, with active grandchildren to enjoy, it was making it difficult for me to participate. After turning 57, health issues cropped up as a result of my obesity: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, acid reflux disease, fibromyalgia, plantar fasciitis and joint/body aches. After talking it over with my husband, I decided to investigate the Gastric banding procedure. After researching surgeons that did this procedure I discovered Dr. Iqbal. He is AMAZING, he is such a caring and compassionate doctor. I would recommended anyone that has been struggling with a weight problem. And to top it off his staff is really pleasant and very helpful. Also, Three months post-operative, I discontinued blood pressure medicine. I no longer takes antacids throughout the day. The reflux is gone. The heel pain and many joint pains are less. My interests are no longer limited as a result of my weight loss. Now I eat because I am hungry, not because of emotions. With my healthier lifestyle, I now eat better, without having the cravings for the foods that aren’t good for me, and I’m thinner!

October 11th, 2015
Hiatal Hernia Surgery
I had an extremely large hiatal hernia for over 30 years that was treated by medication for years. However, it got to the point that it developed into a severe case of “Cameron Erosion Anemia” I was in such severe pain, that I could not eat without food getting stuck, and I would vomit terribly. Because my stomach was over 60% up into my diaphragm pressing and attaching itself to my lung I could hardly breathe walk with out being out of breath. My blood and Iron was so low that I had to have many iron infusions as well as blood transfusions. My gerontologist retired and his replacement Dr Archana B. Rao said that medication would no longer help me and that I needed surgery but not just from anyone but from someone very talented that would perform aparoscope surgery l. Dr Rao highly recommended and referred me to Dr Atif Iqbal. During Dr Iqbal first appointment with me he confirmed the surgery was necessary and assured me that he would take good care of me. He wanted me to lose between 15 and 25 lbs before the surgery which was scheduled in just 5 weeks. He put me on a very strict protein diet and told me that if I stuck to it what I would indeed lose the weight. I lost 23 lbs and Dr. Iqbal completed the surgery on schedule. I will tell you that I can now eat, breath, and walk without suffocating my blood numbers are good and iron level back to normal. I got my life back and am very grateful to Dr Iqbal.

March 22nd, 2015
Thank you for saving My Life!
If I could rate Dr. Iqbal with a higher rating that 5 stars, I would!!! He is the nicest and most compassionate surgeon ever! I was diabetic for 5 years and did not feel well. My health was deteriorating and I was having trouble keeping up with my then 18 year old daughter. I was referred to Dr. Iqbal by my primary care physician to explore the option of gastric bypass surgery to cure my diabetes. He was so nice and so knowledgeable during the consultation that I immediately felt at easy and knew that this was the way to go to improve my heath! He made me feel so good about all the possibilities that this surgery would open up for me. He was there every step of the way, including post surgery hospital visits! He came himself, he cared enough about me not to send his PA and that really meant alot. After recovery, I was cured of the diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol with in seven weeks and off ALL medication! It was indeed a miracle! Dr. Iqbal was so supportive, and proud of my success that even now 3 years later, I am always conscious of what I am doing and what I am eating so that he will be "proud" of me! This was the very best thing I could have done for my health! I lost 60 pounds and have kept it off for 3 years! I am exercising each and every day because I want to...not because I have to! Thank you so much, Dr. Iqbal, for helping me become healthy and literally saving my life! You are an amazing person and surgeon!

March 13th, 2015
Highly Recommended Surgeon
I was really nervous about having my gallbladder removed but at my conseltation Dr. Iqbal made me feel really comfortable about the procedure. I explained how I had been having this problem for a while and had just been in the emergency room for it and he understood the urgency and made sure to schedule me as soon as possible, even offering to do the surgery while on his lunch break! I was scheduled four days later! He fully explained biliary colic and the steps he takes to remove the gallbladder. He even drew a picture to help me understand what was going to happen which really helped to visualize the procedure and it put my mind at ease. He was very respectful and had great bedside manner. After surgery my family called the office before it was open and Dr. Iqbal answered the call and our questions, very impressive. I want to thank Dr. Iqbal again for treating me with such care! I would definitely go back if need be and recommend Dr. Iqbal to anyone.