Surgical Specialist
Video profile

Highest of Recommendations for Dr. Atif Iqbal show details Highest of Recommendations for Dr. Atif Iqbal
by Lois Caporale on Jun 15th, 2016

I write with the highest of recommendations for Dr. Atif Iqbal. He performed a Nissen fundoplication to repair my hiatal hernia and I could not have had a better experience. I was in/out of hospital in one day, but most importantly, from the moment I awoke in recovery, I had NO pain. After care directions were clear and easy to follow. Recovery time was short. Great doctor, great office staff, great experience. I am in awe of his skill and professionalism and ever grateful for his dedication to his patients.

The BEST!!! show details The BEST!!!
by Laurie Kirby on Apr 6th, 2016

Dr. Iqbal is the best!!! He's skilled surgeon that makes you feel comfortable with the diagnosis and before surgery. Post-Op care is excellent as well. My husband and I just love him!! Thank you Dr. Iqbal.

by Allison Gibbons on Feb 14th, 2016

My friend recommended Dr. Iqbal, because he performed the LINX surgery on one of her friend's sons with spectacular results. Upon my consultation with Dr. Iqbal and two subsequent tests, it appeared my hiatal hernia made me ineligible for the LINX surgery, but I was able to have the Nissen surgery. Dr. Iqbal is extremely kind, caring, and patient. He made himself available to answer my questions at any time (and I had a lot of questions, given the amount of conflicting information online regarding the Nissen surgery). When I had the surgery, he took extra time both pre-op and post-op to brief my friend on what to expect. He is an expert surgeon. I am in the middle of my third week after the surgery, and with the exception of some shoulder pain the first day, I have had no pain. He provided detailed instructions on what to do while you are healing and told me to contact him should I have any questions. I had a follow-up appointment on my two-week mark and am scheduled for an appointment three months from now. I've had acid reflux for three and a half years due to a hiatal hernia. After trying everything from modified diets, to therapy, nothing worked, and my symptoms were just getting worse. Already three weeks post-surgery, and I cannot begin to tell you how much this has changed my life for the better. I know surgery isn't for everyone, but if it becomes necessary, I cannot recommend a better surgeon and doctor.

Excellent, trustworthy surgeon with the best personality and sense of humor! show details Excellent, trustworthy surgeon with the best personality and sense of humor!
by Anthony Barone on Jan 29th, 2016

Dr. Iqbal is an excellent surgeon with the kindest personality and a fabulous sense of humor to make anyone feel at ease when having to discuss such intimate medical issues. I had a double hernia for which doctor performed a type of surgery that only required 3 small incisions through my belly button and lower area. Only because is he highly trained in his field, was he able to do this type of surgery on a hernia and not have to cut me open with a long recovery. I highly recommend Dr. Iqbal not only for his surgical expertise but his caring, calm and outgoing personality as well as his superb staff - they are all super nice and extremely efficient! When faced with this type of surgery the last thing you want to deal with is an inexperienced surgeon with a dry personality. Dr. Iqbal will put you at ease straight away and explain in terms you can understand what he is proposing to perform and what the results will be. But I also want to state that I am in excellent health and take great care of myself, hence my recovery was enhanced by my state of fitness for which assisted the rapid recovery period. A great surgeon you will find in Dr. Iqbal and someone who will be up on all the latest procedures to better benefit your health and recovery!

by Kayla Wilson on Jan 22nd, 2016

I was diagnosed with GERDS when I was 18 years old and suffered from severe acid reflux and heartburn for 6 years. I was referred to Dr. Iqbal and from the very first meeting he was caring, knowledgeable, and nurturing to my symptoms. He recommended a couple tests which confirmed that I had a pretty severe hiatal hernia in my esophagus. Dr. Iqbal performed Nissen fundoplication surgery and skillfully repaired my stomach and esophagus. Not only is he extremely talented but he is also thoughtful with his patients. Due to insurance complications, he ended up having to do my surgery on a Friday afternoon, which he normally doesn't do. Dr. Iqbal made sure to explain the surgery, provide his cell phone number, and check up on me prior to and after the surgery. I am extremely grateful for him and feel so lucky to live the rest of my life symptom free.

GERD Cured show details GERD Cured
by Steve A. on Dec 14th, 2015

I've had heart burn ever since I got married, started to gain weight, and had a stressful job. So I would just live it and pop some antacids until it would go away for a while. It got to he point where I had to carry antacid pills with me all the time. Sometimes I'd wake up in the middle of the night with acid coming back up my throat. What a horrible feeling. After I retired I finally decided to do something about my GERD. I wasn't even sure that's what it was until I met Dr.Iqbal and he suggested a whole battery of tests to confirm what he and I suspected. After it was confirmed he gave me some choices as to how to cure the disease. I didn't want to keep taking acid reducers forever, and the Linx device still had only a few years of medical history. So I opted for the standard fundoplication operation. The operation went well and my recovery was bearable and I even lost some weight. I can now eat almost anything and haven't had one single antacid tablet for 5 months.

My Success story show details My Success story
Nov 20th, 2015

After years of failing, succeeding, and failing again with diets I finally reached a point where I was tired of feeling bad about my size and lack of energy. Plus, with active grandchildren to enjoy, it was making it difficult for me to participate. After turning 57, health issues cropped up as a result of my obesity: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, acid reflux disease, fibromyalgia, plantar fasciitis and joint/body aches. After talking it over with my husband, I decided to investigate the Gastric banding procedure. After researching surgeons that did this procedure I discovered Dr. Iqbal. He is AMAZING, he is such a caring and compassionate doctor. I would recommended anyone that has been struggling with a weight problem. And to top it off his staff is really pleasant and very helpful. Also, Three months post-operative, I discontinued blood pressure medicine. I no longer takes antacids throughout the day. The reflux is gone. The heel pain and many joint pains are less. My interests are no longer limited as a result of my weight loss. Now I eat because I am hungry, not because of emotions. With my healthier lifestyle, I now eat better, without having the cravings for the foods that aren’t good for me, and I’m thinner!

Hiatal Hernia Surgery show details Hiatal Hernia Surgery
by Mary Lou Peralta on Oct 11th, 2015

I had an extremely large hiatal hernia for over 30 years that was treated by medication for years. However, it got to the point that it developed into a severe case of “Cameron Erosion Anemia” I was in such severe pain, that I could not eat without food getting stuck, and I would vomit terribly. Because my stomach was over 60% up into my diaphragm pressing and attaching itself to my lung I could hardly breathe walk with out being out of breath. My blood and Iron was so low that I had to have many iron infusions as well as blood transfusions. My gerontologist retired and his replacement Dr Archana B. Rao said that medication would no longer help me and that I needed surgery but not just from anyone but from someone very talented that would perform aparoscope surgery l. Dr Rao highly recommended and referred me to Dr Atif Iqbal. During Dr Iqbal first appointment with me he confirmed the surgery was necessary and assured me that he would take good care of me. He wanted me to lose between 15 and 25 lbs before the surgery which was scheduled in just 5 weeks. He put me on a very strict protein diet and told me that if I stuck to it what I would indeed lose the weight. I lost 23 lbs and Dr. Iqbal completed the surgery on schedule. I will tell you that I can now eat, breath, and walk without suffocating my blood numbers are good and iron level back to normal. I got my life back and am very grateful to Dr Iqbal.

Thank you for saving My Life! show details Thank you for saving My Life!
Mar 22nd, 2015

If I could rate Dr. Iqbal with a higher rating that 5 stars, I would!!! He is the nicest and most compassionate surgeon ever! I was diabetic for 5 years and did not feel well. My health was deteriorating and I was having trouble keeping up with my then 18 year old daughter. I was referred to Dr. Iqbal by my primary care physician to explore the option of gastric bypass surgery to cure my diabetes. He was so nice and so knowledgeable during the consultation that I immediately felt at easy and knew that this was the way to go to improve my heath! He made me feel so good about all the possibilities that this surgery would open up for me. He was there every step of the way, including post surgery hospital visits! He came himself, he cared enough about me not to send his PA and that really meant alot. After recovery, I was cured of the diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol with in seven weeks and off ALL medication! It was indeed a miracle! Dr. Iqbal was so supportive, and proud of my success that even now 3 years later, I am always conscious of what I am doing and what I am eating so that he will be "proud" of me! This was the very best thing I could have done for my health! I lost 60 pounds and have kept it off for 3 years! I am exercising each and every day because I want to...not because I have to! Thank you so much, Dr. Iqbal, for helping me become healthy and literally saving my life! You are an amazing person and surgeon!

Highly Recommended Surgeon show details Highly Recommended Surgeon
by Nicole on Mar 13th, 2015

I was really nervous about having my gallbladder removed but at my conseltation Dr. Iqbal made me feel really comfortable about the procedure. I explained how I had been having this problem for a while and had just been in the emergency room for it and he understood the urgency and made sure to schedule me as soon as possible, even offering to do the surgery while on his lunch break! I was scheduled four days later! He fully explained biliary colic and the steps he takes to remove the gallbladder. He even drew a picture to help me understand what was going to happen which really helped to visualize the procedure and it put my mind at ease. He was very respectful and had great bedside manner. After surgery my family called the office before it was open and Dr. Iqbal answered the call and our questions, very impressive. I want to thank Dr. Iqbal again for treating me with such care! I would definitely go back if need be and recommend Dr. Iqbal to anyone.

by Debbie on Feb 26th, 2015

I have GERD and a hernia and for several years I have gone to doctors to help me. Dr. Farhadi referred me to Dr . Iqbal and that was the best thing for me. Dr. Iqbal new what my problem was and he talked to me about having Linx done. I have not felt this great in years. I would recommend this surgery to everyone. Dr. Iqbal is a very caring doctor. I would highly recommend him to anyone. Thank you Dr. Iqbal!!!!!

by Cindy R. on Feb 13th, 2015

I was referred to Dr. Iqbal for hernia repair and acid reflux. He had several tests done to find that my stomach was in my chest cavity. He performed the surgery robotically. He is very knowledgable in his field. He was able to explain everything before surgery and than after surgery to my husband. It was more intense surgery than thought but he was able to take care of everything that was going on in my body. He and his staff are very kind and helpful. Dr. Iqbal is very kind, compassionate and cares about his patients. I no longer need to take acid reflux pills. Thank you Dr. Iqbal for your kindness, caring and compassion during my procedure and my recovery. I was able to call his office over the weekend during my recovery regarding some issues I was dealing with and they calmed me down and I was able to recover well at home. I would highly recommend this doctor for any medical procedures needed.

Internal hemmeroids surgery. show details Internal hemmeroids surgery.
Jan 16th, 2015

i was in great pain even after two weeks. Wished the office calls for follow up and checked on me. They called three days after the surgery, that was it. I was in great pain after the first week.

Best surgeon in the world!!!! show details Best surgeon in the world!!!!
by Denise Kirk on Dec 29th, 2014

Dr Iqbal is one of the kindest and highly skilled surgeons you can ever meet. He is so caring and compassionate. My surgery was a breeze because of him. We also live about an hour and twenty minutes away, but he is worth the commute! Thank you for being so wonderful Dr Iqbal!!!

by Dianna M on Sep 6th, 2014

Dr. Iqbal was very professional and always made me feel like I mattered. During office visits he was very thorough and was never rushed. He always took the time to answer my questions and concerns. He made my choice to go through my surgery a very positive experience.

dangerous show details dangerous
by ann p on Aug 12th, 2014

unprofessional,dishonest, poor outcome saty away!!!

Awesome Experience show details Awesome Experience
by Vicky H. on Jun 9th, 2014

Having surgery can be a scary experience, but because of Dr. Iqbal's calming nature and positive outlook on how he could help me achieve my goals, I felt at ease with my final decision to weight loss surgery. Dr. Iqbal is very focused yet he has a warm and friendly bedside manor! The entire team in the office was informative and very helpful from pre-op staff to the nutritionist! Also,the hospital facilities and the staff were excellent as well, I must say I was very impressed and well taken care of!!!

Great doctor show details Great doctor
by Krystyna M. on May 19th, 2014

Dr. Iqbal. Is a great doctor. I've been seeing him since summer of 2013 when I found out, I had the first stage of colon cancer. I was shocked, worried and devastated. My primary doctor, Dr. B, referred me to Dr.Iqbal. My doctor wanted me to have the best care. Dr.Iqbal removed the cancer in my colon in April2014 , while he was in there he noticed something else needed to be removed, he informed my husband and he removed it. He informed me of what was going on with my body, what needs to be done before and after the surgery. He's a caring doctor. I am grateful I have such great doctors who took great care of me at times like this. It also helped to be positive and open minded too.

by Stefanie on May 17th, 2014

Dr. Iqbal saved my life! My band had slipped causing me to vomit everything I ate or drank. I couldn't even keep down water. I couldn't get an appointment with my original lap-band surgeon or ANY OTHER DR for that matter. I went 6 days without being able to keep anything down and felt weak and dehydrated. I spent over two hours trying to get a Dr to see me when I finally called Dr. Iqbal. He had never seen me as a patient, but when I told him my symptoms and that I could not keep anything down for many days, he told me to go straight to the Orange Coast Hospital ER and he would help me. I went into the ER and did not wait at all. He had sent my info down to the office and they admitted me right away. I had surgery to correct the slippage and now I feel amazing again. His PA Ashley WAS SOO WONDERFUL. His office staff is amazing, helpful, caring. I would've been dead within 24 hours if it weren't for Dr Iqbal. I can't say enough about how grateful I am for taking such great care of me.

Gastric Bypass Surgery show details Gastric Bypass Surgery
by Jennifer on May 16th, 2014

Trusted Dr advice to diet prior to surgery helped ease possible complications, though after surgery constipation and bowel was an issue for me, DR helped me through it and got me back on my feet.

Dedicated show details Dedicated
by Robert Brazelton on May 14th, 2014

Dr. Iqbal has a genuine concern for whatever life issues are affecting you. He is authentically open minded, caring, empathetic, insightful and respectful of your feelings. His professional training blends well with these qualities and makes him an exceptional doctor and surgeon. Dr. Iqbal helped me change my life, and that is everything to me, my sincerest gratitude.

by Fairuz Jalaludin on May 5th, 2014

Dr. Iqbal has been very helpful in answering all my question prior surgery. He helps me understand the risks and benefits of the surgery I'm doing (Bariatic Surgery). He helps reassures my nervousness about the surgery. Even though the surgery has some complication, post surgery was great, and he did follow up after surgery himself to make sure I am well and maintain the weight loss.

Disappointing show details Disappointing
May 1st, 2014

This doctor was not good. I was never seen by him while in the hospital after my bariatric procedure and the followup care was very poor. All of my additional appointments with him were rushed and useless. He typed on a computer the duration of the visits with very little communication. Each visit he had no idea who I was, my condition, or what I was there for. There was no interest in the post op complications I was experiencing, nor acknowledgement of the ongoing abdominal pain that still exists today. Lack of awareness and blatant disregard with unresolved post surgical issues. This surgeon was very disappointing.

LINX implant surgery show details LINX implant surgery
Apr 30th, 2014

Dr. Iqbal is the best doctor I have ever dealt with. He was kind and considerate and very thorough. He made me feel like I was his only patient. He answered all my questions and I never had a problem getting into contact with him or getting appointments made. He really did everything he could to go out of his way for me. I had a LINX implant placed to help with issues of LPR. It worked great. 24 hours after surgery I had no pain. I was completely satisfied with every aspect of the surgery, recovery and Dr. Iqbal's care. I can't say enough about how great he is. I'm truly blessed to have him as my doctor.

business owner show details business owner
by tim black on Apr 3rd, 2014

very excellent care, great bedside manner, I would refer him to any friends or family, a great doctor who saved my life. im very greatful. very knowledgable doctor he knows what hes doing. I just wanna thank him personally. p.s. this is his daughter, I wanna thank him for saving my dads life :)

Mar 19th, 2013

Dr. Iqbal may be a good surgeon, but he is a horrible doctor. He did not look at my incisions after the surgery, and he seemed careless toward me when I went in for a follow up visit. The office staff does not appear to be competent, as I was sent for testing by them, and the two locations did not have any orders from the office. This was a very frustrating day. Also, a return to work notice was sent to the insurance carriers, but never to me!! I found out my release date by a letter in the mail from my insurance carrier, never received one from the office. This was very unprofessional.