Dr. Augustus Mazzocca MD, MS Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

July 14th, 2017
Excellent!
Extremely skilled, compassionate, and great in explaining to patients what they want to know. After two failed rotator cuff repairs, he decided to do a reverse shoulder replacement, and everything about this procedure has resulted in a shoulder with which I can do almost anything. I strongly recommend him.

March 10th, 2012
Non caring, non- communicative
Was referred to Dr M by my orthopedic surgeon because he was a shoulder specialist. After I described my one year of pain, MRI, cortisone shots, failed physical therapy, he asked me why I was there. Then he recommended an experimental process not covered by insurance. I was willing to risk a small amount $200) for this experiment. It was very painful and did nothing. After screaming in pain from the shot, the doctor asked me if I felt better. A few weeks later I had to call the office 4 days in a row to get a response that was to call back for another appointment. After another MRI and more physical therapy, he told me there was nothing wrong with my shoulder and that he had nothing else to say to me. I got a copy of the MRI report and I have chronic tendonitis. Then I got a bill from the office for another $850 charged to my insurance company for the experimental treatment. After 2 months of calling the office and saying that I was never told the "experiment was going to cost over $1000", I finally convinced them to reverse the charges. I have gone back to my original orthopedic surgeon, whom I have gone to for 20 years, and had surgery scheduled to correct my shoulder problem. Dr. M had a poor "bedside" manner and poor communication skills. and provides lies and half truths, at least to me.

November 12th, 2010
Disappointed in CT
I had had a rotator cup repair by another surgeon. regrettably my rotator cup had been severely injured in a fall and the repair did not provide full relief of pain and mobility. The surgeon who did the surgery had planned to do arthroscopic surgery, but then upon gaining access to the cup recognized how seriously damaged it was.Dr. Mazzocca did a latisimus dorsi transfer (major surgery) involving using a muscle from my back (near my shoulder blade) which was moved to the front of my shoulder and connected to the rotator cup. Before the surgery was done I fully understood that this type of surgery is considered "salvage surgery" and that I probably would not regain full use of my arm and shoulder. While I'm mostly pain free, the surgery was not a complete success since I'm now 5 months post-op and am unable to lift my arm independently beyond 90 degrees from my body. While I'm still receiving physical therapy, it is becoming clear that I will never be able to have a satisfying range of motion. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed but I don't believe this was a "fault" in Dr. Mazzocca's skill and expertise, I found him to be highly skilled, very compassionate and a wonderful doctor to have work on my case. I think I just didn't ask enough questions about what was meant by "salvage." As current vernacular would say it, "MY BAD", I should have asked more questions.Disappointed in CT

August 16th, 2010
dr mazzocca and his staff are very nice and he has a great bed side manner most Dr's today have no manner or manners and good ones are hard to find so the time to wait is worth it.

November 29th, 2016